Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODP/RTC a complete waste of time & money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The "entire 05 group" at ADF was not subsidized last year.
    Okay, sorry I did not know that for a fact. I was told that by a parent of the group. Sorry.

Comment

Yes how much does odp/rtc cost the end user?
      3500. for RTC , State pool team , Regional camp , Regional team. Thats including airfare and money for food and messing around. But it could be more if parents decide to go Arizona and Florida.

Comment

Last year was awful. Complete waste of time. Is there any value anymore?
        Not that I can see. Been going downhill for years. Seems like another profit center for timbers which is good for them.

Comment

Not that I can see. Been going downhill for years. Seems like another profit center for timbers which is good for them.
          I get paying for some of it , but if your child makes the state pool team wouldn't you think corporate sponsors from Timbers/Thorns would support a little better.

Comment

I get paying for some of it , but if your child makes the state pool team wouldn't you think corporate sponsors from Timbers/Thorns would support a little better.
            Fat chance. Notice they are phasing out ODP for the DA players. In effect they are 'forced' to save the $3500 per year, another selling point for DA, especially if they raise their prices next year as expected. Imagine the pitch will be 'you are on DA, you're already surpassing everything you would get in ODP/RTC'.

Comment

They really struggle to get coaches to participate. Give up great holiday weekends to got to mediocre travel trips. Not a lot of top talent.

Comment

Fat chance. Notice they are phasing out ODP for the DA players. In effect they are 'forced' to save the $3500 per year, another selling point for DA, especially if they raise their prices next year as expected. Imagine the pitch will be 'you are on DA, you're already surpassing everything you would get in ODP/RTC'.
                Its like calling a playing field the pitch , its still a sports field.

Comment

I was utterly unimpressed with ODP. I don't get the purpose anymore.

Comment

I was utterly unimpressed with ODP. I don't get the purpose anymore.
                    It's just a profit maker. The quality was not good.

Comment

Fmagine the pitch will be 'you are on DA, you're already surpassing everything you would get in ODP/RTC'.
                      ODP/RTC, most division two silver teams are better so that's not saying much.

Comment

ODP/RTC, most division two silver teams are better so that's not saying much.
                        Hey I think your pants are pulled up to high again and making you light headed.

Comment

It's just a profit maker. The quality was not good.
                          Thanks captain obvious.

Comment

You have a lot of staff that need to get paid. Can't blame them for wanting to make money.

Comment

Combined age groups, secondary to DA, citing tryout conflict with Bend Tournament,
                              Addressing variety of opinions out there... pre RTC?? I'm not sure the future or purpose of this
                              Program.

Oregon and Southwest Washington Soccer Families,

On behalf of the Portland Timbers and Thorns and Oregon Youth Soccer Association, we wanted to remind you about the 2017-18 Olympic Development Program (ODP) Information and invite you to attend tryouts, August 12th and 13th in Salem, Oregon. Deadline to register is 8/10/17.

ODP Information Document and what is ODP?
                              First off, for families interested in the Timbers and Thorns ODP program, the ODP Information Document gives you all the information you need on the 2017-18 program. Please make sure you read this before asking any obvious questions you may have. The link to the boys and girls documents are included below along with the coaching staff with each age group. We are still in the process of filling spots with some of our teams.

Boys ODP Information: https://portland-mp7static.mlsdigita...elfinderimages
                              As you will see, the age groups for ODP Tryouts in August will be 2001/02 and 2003/04 Boys and Girls. We will again be combining the oldest age groups this year; 2001/2002 program. And brand new to the 2017/18 season will be the combination of the 2003/2004 age groups. The reasoning behind this is simple: With so many year-long programs in place now (Timbers and Thorns DA and now Club DA), there will be a lot of players who can’t try out for ODP this year. Because of this, we want to create the most competitive pools possible for our ODP age groups while also pushing our younger players against older competition and combining our age groups will help provide the most competitive pools while helping to develop the younger players. This has worked very well on the boys side where we saw our 2000/01 boys team win the ODP regional championship this last season and then play in the ODP national championship game in March.

This also puts ODP players in line to compete for call-ups to the Portland Timbers United States Developmental Academy program and the newly formed Portland Thorns Developmental Academy program. US soccer has put their full-backing behind the US Developmental Program now around the country and the Timbers and Thorns DA programs are clearly the best elite youth programs in the state of Oregon. Academy age groups are U14, U15, U16 and U18. With US Soccer backing this program, we will do the same with ODP and give our players every chance to have the opportunity to not only play for the academy someday, but to be showcased for college, regional and national coaches during the ODP season.

Current Timbers and Thorns DA Players or Club DA players and trying out with ODP
                              If you are a full-time member of one of the Timbers or Thorns DA teams or Club DA teams (and you would know right now if you are), US Soccer has recommended you do not take part in any outside soccer like Club or ODP. I know a lot of academy families have asked about trying out anyway, and we can’t really control this, but we will adhere to US Soccer and we will advise DA players to stay with their DA teams and not tryout for ODP. Now, if a player were to be removed from the DA or didn’t continue on, they would be eligible for ODP play. Any other player is eligible for ODP play and ODP players are all club players as well, meaning you can do both.

ODP Tryout Information and how to register for tryouts
                              ODP Tryouts for the 2001/02 and 2003/04 age groups will be August 12th and 13th in Salem, Oregon at the Capital Timbers Complex. We understand this runs on the same weekend as the Bend Premier Tournament, a tournament that was moved on to our ODP tryout weekend last year. We’ve held the same ODP tryout weekend for close to 20 years now as we have to tryout players before the high school seasons begin. There are three tryout sessions during the August 12th and 13th weekend for ODP, and any player who wants to be considered for ODP has to be available for at least one tryout session. We encourage all three, but one will be required.

ODP Perception
                              No question, you will hear all sorts of different opinions and responses from parents, players, social media and club coaches or directors on the ODP program. As we tell all families, anytime you get a lot of top players from a lot of different clubs together from around the state, you get mixed results and experiences at times. The best player on a club team may be a role player on a ODP team. This can be tough to take and this can then taint the experience or opinion of some. The same goes for coaching – players get comfortable with one coach and then have a hard time adapting to another coach. I will tell you that 90 percent of the families that go through RTC and ODP have a fantastic experience. The feedback we get is overwhelmingly positive. The program challenges the players with good competition, the coaching is fantastic and professional, and you have the chance to be a part of a professional youth structure which is always looking to identify top talent. ODP is also your pathway to the Timbers and Thorns Academy programs. More than 95 percent of players in our academy program came through the ODP system. We encourage all players to go through this process and see how they compare to a lot of the top players in your state. And regardless of what a family or friend or coach may tell you, it’s healthy for a player to go outside of that comfort zone and to be challenged by new players and new coaches and we hope you do so.

Looking forward to another great ODP season – don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions. And please send this to anybody you may know who would be interested in this great program.

ERIK LYSLO
                              Manager of Youth Programs

e: elyslo@timbers.com
                              p: 503.553.5575 f: 503.553.5405
                              c: 971.404.1574
                              @TimbersFC // @ThornsFC Providence Park
                              1844 SW Morrison St.
                              Portland, OR 97205

Comment

Painful read. Sorry to hear this program has went so far downhill.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X