Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Prior post was in regards to illegal contact; nothing to do with encouraging players to move.

Different poster but I do know a player who was "strongly encouraged" to move by the college coach she had committed to. She was the best player on a decent team in a weak league. Needless to say she struggled initially but did improve a great deal - mostly speed of play. Coaches from top programs want players in the most competitive leagues they can play in (assuming a player can move and the ECNL club and coach is good, which isn't always the case).
    Don't be fooled. There are uneducated college coaches still coaching like it's 1994.
    A college coach with some minimal up to date knowledge about the game by traveling overseas would suggest to the player to play up a year or two for short periods of time. Not to go blow money away on a league.

Comment

Yes I am sure the Pac12 coach is emailing her current coach "so happy you switched to ECNL so we can watch you more . . . "

Don't be stupid here folks. I know how the communication works, I had a 15 year old with a D1 verbal.
      Nearly all PAC 12 coaches outside of Oregon don't consider corresponding with any of our local neighborhood club coaches at CU or FC PDX or any other clubs even the new DA. If the af the college coaching staff has been contacted by the player directly, they typically respond, but they really have no reason to reach out to an Oregon club coach or HS coach. Unless they know them personally, which is highly unlikely given the different backgrounds and experience of our local neighborhood fare club coach.

The player is usually informed of the college staff's evaluation schedule: that is. what tourneys, local area games, showcases, ID camps etc they will have staff attending .. If the interested player has a matching schedule, the college staff may consider noting it, whether they come to the games is not a for sure thing. It's really just a matter of matching availability and if they have any interest.

If a player is already committed, then it would be just a matter of updating the coach if their USDA squad or local club team is coming to an event their staff is attending to say hello.

Kids get congratulated for club team achievements, US nat selection, regional ODP selection, HS all league & all state, Gatorade POY, outstanding school achievement, birthday's and praiseworthy happenings. What league the prospect's club elects to plays in is not one of those. For God Sake.

They will of course congratulate a prospect if their club has been elevated to the US Development Academy, since it's the top tier of competition and development in the country.

Playing in a USYS or US Club league is a choice, being selected to be part of the USDA is an honor for the club. We have no clubs in Oregon chosen for the the DA, it's an arm of the NWSL pro club instead.

Comment

Prior post was in regards to illegal contact; nothing to do with encouraging players to move.

Different poster but I do know a player who was "strongly encouraged" to move by the college coach she had committed to. She was the best player on a decent team in a weak league. Needless to say she struggled initially but did improve a great deal - mostly speed of play. Coaches from top programs want players in the most competitive leagues they can play in (assuming a player can move and the ECNL club and coach is good, which isn't always the case).
        I also know a player with a D1 verbal commit who was told by her future college coach to play in the ECNL league if she wanted to compete for a starting spot as a freshman. She was the best player on a very good OYSA team. Her old team did regionals, surf, Vegas - but it was the speed of play that she wasn't getting on the OYSA team that prompted the recommendation.

Comment

I also know a player with a D1 verbal commit who was told by her future college coach to play in the ECNL league if she wanted to compete for a starting spot as a freshman. She was the best player on a very good OYSA team. Her old team did regionals, surf, Vegas - but it was the speed of play that she wasn't getting on the OYSA team that prompted the recommendation.
          Sadly the speed of play on Oregon ECNL teams is slow which is why Washington and Californis teams cringe when they have to come here. It's even worse now that the player pool is diluted by GDA.

Comment

She wasn't willing to move to So. Cal to get on a top flight club team. So she stayed on her Oregon Club team and is still the very best player on her team and has a healthy offer from the college coach. She will still compete for a starting spot and will probably get it.

Comment

She wasn't willing to move to So. Cal to get on a top flight club team. So she stayed on her Oregon Club team and is still the very best player on her team and has a healthy offer from the college coach. She will still compete for a starting spot and will probably get it.
              We must not be talking about the same player. The one I know moved to CU ECNL.

Comment

That's unfortunate, what a waste of money and time for that poor kid. Crossfire United didn't actually allow her to transfer, did they. That's criminal.

Comment

There is an Oregon club that combines OYSA THUSC & LOSC, WUSC players and whoever else they can get to join them playing in the US Club League, That club's name is Crossfire United. If a player moved from an OYSA team to this US Club, affiliated club on the advice of a bona fide college coach, that's not very intelligent, was it the college coach from the school of blind? Another college coach recommended a move to just HS vs Crossfire United, the girl did it and is now going to OSU. So much for the intelligence of college coaches.

Comment

Yes I am sure the Pac12 coach is emailing her current coach "so happy you switched to ECNL so we can watch you more . . . "

Don't be stupid here folks. I know how the communication works, I had a 15 year old with a D1 verbal.
                    Just a dad with a kid playing college soccer now so wanted to pop back in here and see if it remains loony. Thankfully, people like you confirm this. My dd had committed to a Pac 12 school her sophomore year and the coach told her to move to ECNL for better competition and because they wanted to watch her at ECNL events. I wasn't an ECNL supporter, but the teams she played against were better in ECNL. Every other kid in her class played on top ECNL teams and or were on some WNT (either from the US or from some other country).

Comment

Just a dad with a kid playing college soccer now so wanted to pop back in here and see if it remains loony. Thankfully, people like you confirm this. My dd had committed to a Pac 12 school her sophomore year and the coach told her to move to ECNL for better competition and because they wanted to watch her at ECNL events. I wasn't an ECNL supporter, but the teams she played against were better in ECNL. Every other kid in her class played on top ECNL teams and or were on some WNT (either from the US or from some other country).
                      My niece in the midwest was also pressured by her college coach to move to ECNL. It was a higher level D1 program. Doubtful you're going to get it with lower level or D3 programs. I understand - they want you ready for them. Your kid could be on a great team but a weak league. That may not be challenging enough to prepare you for the demands of high level college ball

Comment

ID camps

My niece in the midwest was also pressured by her college coach to move to ECNL. It was a higher level D1 program. Doubtful you're going to get it with lower level or D3 programs. I understand - they want you ready for them. Your kid could be on a great team but a weak league. That may not be challenging enough to prepare you for the demands of high level college ball
                        my brother cousins nephew sister also had that happen !

Comment

There is an Oregon club that combines OYSA THUSC & LOSC, WUSC players and whoever else they can get to join them playing in the US Club League, That club's name is Crossfire United. If a player moved from an OYSA team to this US Club, affiliated club on the advice of a bona fide college coach, that's not very intelligent, was it the college coach from the school of blind? Another college coach recommended a move to just HS vs Crossfire United, the girl did it and is now going to OSU. So much for the intelligence of college coaches.
                          The fact is the girl wanted to hang out with friends and club soccer got in the way. Had she stuck with club she would of got a scholarship to a much better school than OSU. However, since her old CU coach is good friends with the OSU coach he was able to get her a walk on opportunity. She will have to practice more than 4 times a week, so it will be interesting if she can stick around more than a year or two.

Comment

PAC 12 coach responded the same way when our daughter asked what he thought about her transferring to another local oregon club that was registered in the ECNL. he said 'save your money, we have seen you enough, (that league) is simply a money pit for Oregon families. Bottom line stay where you're at.

It's nice when the coaches are honest with the players and looking out for the financial well being of families.
                            In other words: "We're not interested."

Comment

In other words: "We're not interested."
                              Yep and college coaches don't care how much you spend on youth soccer. What a delusional poster.

Comment

The fact is the girl wanted to hang out with friends and club soccer got in the way. Had she stuck with club she would of got a scholarship to a much better school than OSU. However, since her old CU coach is good friends with the OSU coach he was able to get her a walk on opportunity. She will have to practice more than 4 times a week, so it will be interesting if she can stick around more than a year or two.
                                If my aunt had nutz she would be my uncle. You are a first class tool in addition to being an idiot.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X