Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guide to the NESCACs (or I gotta fever for more NESCAC)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You make no sense. Nobody attacked the finest school in the country. Someone suggested that top potential D1 players are going NESCAC. The person responded that it wasn't true. I agree that a top D1 recruit rarely goes NESCAC. The person was trying to provide some more background about why. Seems fair.
    It wasn't fair, and for the reasons stated, which made perfect sense. Any point that needed to be made could have been made without evaluative digs and projections about future likelihood regarding a particular player. The post should actually be removed.

And nobody said that TOP D1 recruits were going NESCAC.

Comment

Really? Lots of D1 kids who couldn't play D3?? Really??? If that is true, there are morons handing out D1 $$ and frankly, that doesn't happen. With an older son in D1 sports, the amount of vetting and scrutiny on every scholarship penny is intense. Bottomline--D1 kids, for the 95% who get $$, would easily be impact players at D3. Go watch one of the hundreds of D3 games this fall. Even in the "all powerful NESCAC", go watch say Trinity play Wesleyan -- not so much big-time skills being displayed. Good soccer yes, but the last recruit at Holy Cross or UNH "would easily make the field". Please...be real.

Comment

Really? Lots of D1 kids who couldn't play D3?? Really??? If that is true, there are morons handing out D1 $$ and frankly, that doesn't happen. With an older son in D1 sports, the amount of vetting and scrutiny on every scholarship penny is intense. Bottomline--D1 kids, for the 95% who get $$, would easily be impact players at D3. Go watch one of the hundreds of D3 games this fall. Even in the "all powerful NESCAC", go watch say Trinity play Wesleyan -- not so much big-time skills being displayed. Good soccer yes, but the last recruit at Holy Cross or UNH "would easily make the field". Please...be real.
        If the poster you're referencing went a little too far with that particular suggestion I can see challenging that point. The poster DID NOT say D3 players would be "top" D1 players as was alleged. And there was absolutely no reason for the violent reactions and focus on dissecting a particular kid. Your own post is way out of proportion to the perceived slight on D1 players.

Comment

You are kidding aren't you

"D1-level layers" covers quite a broad specturm. A LOT of players on these top NESCAC teams could easily play at a D1 school. Don't assume that it was a lack of soccer skill that made them choose a LAC. Conversely, there are plenty of D1 players who would not see the field at a D3 school.
          I have seen many D1, D2 and D3 Nescac games over the past 4 years, thus please don't make a statement that "A LOT" of the players at the top nescac schools could easily play D1. Could a couple per team perhaps, but that is far from A LOT. The better nescac schools are good because they do have the 1 or 2 players who could play (but not impact)at D1. I love nescac (I went to a nescac) and the level of athletics, but they are not even close to D1 soccer on either the men's or women's side. The overall soccer athletic talent level is not anywhere near D1 or even D2. Nescac is a very good D3 league with a tremedous academic focus, but very few of the players would be of D1 level. The other statement that there are plenty of D1 players who would not see the field at D3 is humorous---you are jesting of course?

Comment

I have seen many D1, D2 and D3 Nescac games over the past 4 years, thus please don't make a statement that "A LOT" of the players at the top nescac schools could easily play D1. Could a couple per team perhaps, but that is far from A LOT. The better nescac schools are good because they do have the 1 or 2 players who could play (but not impact)at D1. I love nescac (I went to a nescac) and the level of athletics, but they are not even close to D1 soccer on either the men's or women's side. The overall soccer athletic talent level is not anywhere near D1 or even D2. Nescac is a very good D3 league with a tremedous academic focus, but very few of the players would be of D1 level. The other statement that there are plenty of D1 players who would not see the field at D3 is humorous---you are jesting of course?
            When you say "D1" are you referring to UNC or FDU or both?

Comment

When you say "D1" are you referring to UNC or FDU or both?
              Great point -D1 comes in lots of different flavors -

ACC, Big 10, Big East, etc. vs Ivies/Patriot League vs. Ohio Valley Conference or other various and sundrie conferences.

If you said only very few, special D3 player could play in the ACC I'd buy that and probably even the Ivies and Patriots, but when you start talking about a NESCAC school and say East Tennessee State or Western Kentucky and the like, I think you'd start to find more and more kids on that D3 roster that could play for a lower-level D1 state school. And vice-versa. At some point saying I played D1 soccer in college (or more likely - my kid plays D1 college soccer) takes on a lot less meaning than the education that will be received and the prospects for jobs and grad school at the end of the futbol career.

We all have different views about what is best and there are those who choose a school for soccer over academics and those who choose for academics and school rep over soccer. Bottom-line is that D1 quality varies (and so does D3).

Comment

Look at it this way. The average soccer talent in D1 is going to be better than the average soccer talent in D3. (Wouldn't it be shocking if this were not true?). However, there is a fair amount of overlap between the below average D1 player and the above average D3 player.

Comment

Look at it this way. The average soccer talent in D1 is going to be better than the average soccer talent in D3. (Wouldn't it be shocking if this were not true?). However, there is a fair amount of overlap between the below average D1 player and the above average D3 player.
                  I would go even further and say there is a lot of overlap between the average D1 player and the above average D3 player. Many D1 soccer programs are not very strong and are the poor step sibling of a basketball, football or other program and get very little support. Top D1 aside, the bottom half of D1 soccer isn't all that great and the Top 10 D3 schools would likely be very competitive with them. IMHO a player of that level is better off choosing the best academic school over the D1/D3 thing and if it is a D3 school so be it.

Comment

I would go even further and say there is a lot of overlap between the average D1 player and the above average D3 player. Many D1 soccer programs are not very strong and are the poor step sibling of a basketball, football or other program and get very little support. Top D1 aside, the bottom half of D1 soccer isn't all that great and the Top 10 D3 schools would likely be very competitive with them. IMHO a player of that level is better off choosing the best academic school over the D1/D3 thing and if it is a D3 school so be it.
                    What a lot of people seem to forget is D1 or D3 is not the issue for many players but location is very high on many lists.

Comment

Back to the NESCACs.

In addition to soccer, the student needs to meet certain academic requirements. The NESCAC coaches are required to look for kids with both soccer ability and academic ability.

I assume it varies by specific NESCAC school but what are the minimum academic requirements for the schools?

Comment

Back to the NESCACs.

In addition to soccer, the student needs to meet certain academic requirements. The NESCAC coaches are required to look for kids with both soccer ability and academic ability.

I assume it varies by specific NESCAC school but what are the minimum academic requirements for the schools?
                        It does vary and it is essentially a sliding scale from the top schools to the bottom schools (not ripping bottomt of NESCAC - -still GREAT schools). If your kid has aspirations of palying soccer at Williams or Amherst, at a minumum, she better be in the top 5% of her HS class (assume public HS here), have SAT's in the 650's, a GPA of 3.5, and have done well in at least 2-3 AP classes. And if your kid had this academic profile, you may need a tip. Sounds crazy but these two schools have the pick of the crop. We have a first cousin whose kid starts on a Top 75 in the US club team in CALIFORNIA and wants to play soccer at Williams. On the other end, say at Conn College, B+ kid with low-600's will get you in.

Comment

It does vary and it is essentially a sliding scale from the top schools to the bottom schools (not ripping bottomt of NESCAC - -still GREAT schools). If your kid has aspirations of palying soccer at Williams or Amherst, at a minumum, she better be in the top 5% of her HS class (assume public HS here), have SAT's in the 650's, a GPA of 3.5, and have done well in at least 2-3 AP classes. And if your kid had this academic profile, you may need a tip. Sounds crazy but these two schools have the pick of the crop. We have a first cousin whose kid starts on a Top 75 in the US club team in CALIFORNIA and wants to play soccer at Williams. On the other end, say at Conn College, B+ kid with low-600's will get you in.
                          Because each NESCAC women's soccer coach has only 2-3 tips, these are very valuable and how they are used depends on the specific needs of the coach. I know of kids who start for top 10 club teams in the country who didn't get a tip from several NESCACs. It's not that they couldn't play for the team but to get a tip you have to be one of the coach's top 2-3 recruiting priorities. If the coach needs a GK and a central midfielder and you are an outside defender, unlikely you're going to get a tip.

Comment

Because each NESCAC women's soccer coach has only 2-3 tips, these are very valuable and how they are used depends on the specific needs of the coach. I know of kids who start for top 10 club teams in the country who didn't get a tip from several NESCACs. It's not that they couldn't play for the team but to get a tip you have to be one of the coach's top 2-3 recruiting priorities. If the coach needs a GK and a central midfielder and you are an outside defender, unlikely you're going to get a tip.
                            And with no tip, your kid's file is literally passed from one small "bucket" reserved for athletes to the larger "bucket" of general admits and now you are at the mercy of the Admissions' committee. And your kid, who may be a very good soccer player and really a very good student, may get denied admissions to Amherst or Williams. So again, if you want to play here, make sure you can get in on your own without a tip. And better yet, as the original poster who did a great job of analyzing a wide range of D3 options suggested, have several schools that are 95% as good as these two as fallback options.

The only one small disagreement I have with the above poster is about position needs. While that is true to some extent, if your kid is top talent, especially if she can put the ball in the back of the net, the tip may come your way afterall. Just like there is never enough good pitching in baseball, D3 coaches are ALWAYS looking for talented strikers.

Comment

And with no tip, your kid's file is literally passed from one small "bucket" reserved for athletes to the larger "bucket" of general admits and now you are at the mercy of the Admissions' committee. And your kid, who may be a very good soccer player and really a very good student, may get denied admissions to Amherst or Williams. So again, if you want to play here, make sure you can get in on your own without a tip. And better yet, as the original poster who did a great job of analyzing a wide range of D3 options suggested, have several schools that are 95% as good as these two as fallback options.

The only one small disagreement I have with the above poster is about position needs. While that is true to some extent, if your kid is top talent, especially if she can put the ball in the back of the net, the tip may come your way afterall. Just like there is never enough good pitching in baseball, D3 coaches are ALWAYS looking for talented strikers.
                              If you're a soccer player, which is more challenging, getting into a NESCAC school or a D1 school?

Comment

If you're a soccer player, which is more challenging, getting into a NESCAC school or a D1 school?
                                What D1 schools (Ivies, mid-American conference...?)? Gaining acceptance into a D1 school or playing college soccer at a D1 school?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X