Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    253 and 254....BTDT has spoken and generously provided the definitive final word summary for everyone. Thanks.
    Too funny, you don't even bother to contest what you are doing. Your whole purpose is simply to harass the guy and nothing in the discussion even matters.

Comment

That is something good to talk about. My daughter also plays for a MA ECNL team and she is also a Junior. She has her school choice narrowed down to 2 , one is a Patriot League school and the other is a Big East school. Both are great academically, and she likes both coaches. I believe that she will go with the Big East school because she seems to talk more about them. She hopes to make her final decision in next couple of weeks after one last visit to one of them. The ECNL isn't the only path to a college scholarship, but it does give you more exposure. From the day she joined this team her freshman year it was all about the kids researching and contacting coaches who would be at their games/ECNL events. Our coach was great with the communication between the coaches and the players, helping them navigate the whole process. It was the best decision to move to the ECNL for her, it did what we hoped it would for her.
      More, how? By what measure? Are you saying that more college coaches go to ECNL events than non-ECNL ones? Have you ever been to a non-ECNL event and sat there and counted coaches so you can make that statement? Do you realize that college coaches go to showcases to see specific players, not teams, and that many of the tournaments have both ECNL and non-ECNL brackets?
      Patriot League and Big East. Great schools. Congratulations. Would be interested in learning how the ECNL impacted your daughters search. Know a lot of the girls in that class have been looking at Villanova because the coach was heavily involved with many of them through ODP. Is that one of the big East schools your daughter is interested in? Was that the case with your daughter? A lot of the Patriot League and Big East schools are pretty close, which ECNL tournaments did your daughter make her connections at? With hindsight do you think the travel to the west coast was beneficial or if you had to do it over again would you opt out of those trips?
      Someone is calling for discussion. This thread is about the impact of the ECNL on college recruitment. These were the last posts directly focused on that topic. Have at it.

Comment

253 and 254....BTDT has spoken and generously provided the definitive final word summary for everyone. Thanks.
        Pointing out the distortion in the packaging of that posting is fair game, and something you attempt every day.

Desperation must be setting in as the threats amp up. What a baby. Dishes it out 24/7 but no accountability and expects to just clobber everyone while they have their hands tied behind their back. One poster had the gall to start a positive thread about ECNL and look what happened. In fact, how many posts did BTDT write saying "don't post something if you can't take the criticism and feedback. What a duplicitous dope.

Comment

Someone is calling for discussion. This thread is about the impact of the ECNL on college recruitment. These were the last posts directly focused on that topic. Have at it.
          We would not have opted out of west coast trips, as she did some recruiting visits there as well as the Midwest. We made it a point to use each trip to also make quick visits to nearby schools. Sometimes just a quick drive through a campus was reason to either scratch a name off her list or put a star next to it. Our daughter put in a lot of work emailing coaches and letting them know she was interested in that school and asked if they could come see her play. Then she would look at coaches attending events and would email them her schedule. After the event our coach would contact them and see what they thought.... This would result in our daughter going to visit the school and meet with the coach. It's not an easy process whether you play ECNL or not. Fitting in recruiting trips while playing club schedule and staying up with school work was tough at times. This past summer she narrowed it down to 4 schools and now she is close to making her decision, she makes one final visit in next couple weeks. Her present team gave her opportunities that her old team and ODP did not. She is still good friends with players on her old team - none who have committed anywhere, her present team has a lot of commitments already, and many that are close.

Comment

We would not have opted out of west coast trips, as she did some recruiting visits there as well as the Midwest. We made it a point to use each trip to also make quick visits to nearby schools. Sometimes just a quick drive through a campus was reason to either scratch a name off her list or put a star next to it. Our daughter put in a lot of work emailing coaches and letting them know she was interested in that school and asked if they could come see her play. Then she would look at coaches attending events and would email them her schedule. After the event our coach would contact them and see what they thought.... This would result in our daughter going to visit the school and meet with the coach. It's not an easy process whether you play ECNL or not. Fitting in recruiting trips while playing club schedule and staying up with school work was tough at times. This past summer she narrowed it down to 4 schools and now she is close to making her decision, she makes one final visit in next couple weeks. Her present team gave her opportunities that her old team and ODP did not. She is still good friends with players on her old team - none who have committed anywhere, her present team has a lot of commitments already, and many that are close.
            So basically you used the west coast trips as part of your overall college exploration. That seems pretty logical. One obvious question though is would you have gone to visit those schools if you were not already there for soccer? Did your daughter actually ever consider going to school on the west coast or was it merely a convenience issue? That last was not intended to be a criticism because a lot of kids figure out what they want by seeing what they don't want, the question just speaks to how to attribute the expense.

Another obvious question is about your daughter's old team, you seem to be attributing the apparent fact that none of her former teammates are committed at this point to the fact that they are on a non-ECNL team. Could it be as simple as those other players not being as talented as your daughter or that their families are not really as invested in the college recruitment process as you obviously are? Could it be that your daughter's old club just isn't as pro-active as you new club, or is it really all attributable to the difference between being on a team in the ECNL compared to a team that is not?

Comment

My daughter had talked about West Coast schools before ECNL, being on a team that played there just made it easier to make a visit happen. She loved some of the schools she visited on the West Coast and in the Midwest, but the travel time for these recruiting visits affected her decision to stay in NE. Her old team travels a lot and did a lot of college showcases last year, I think you nailed it about that team not being as pro-active in the college process. I talked to one of the parents this weekend and he thinks our coach and team philosophy is much more focused on the college process than they are.

Comment

My daughter had talked about West Coast schools before ECNL, being on a team that played there just made it easier to make a visit happen. She loved some of the schools she visited on the West Coast and in the Midwest, but the travel time for these recruiting visits affected her decision to stay in NE. Her old team travels a lot and did a lot of college showcases last year, I think you nailed it about that team not being as pro-active in the college process. I talked to one of the parents this weekend and he thinks our coach and team philosophy is much more focused on the college process than they are.
                Guess if I was taking the family out to San Francisco I would drive over to Stanford while I was there as well.

Some of the college recruitment stuff is really a self fulfilling prophecy. If you go seeking a higher level of focus, why would you be surprised when you find it?

Comment

Guess if I was taking the family out to San Francisco I would drive over to Stanford while I was there as well.

Some of the college recruitment stuff is really a self fulfilling prophecy. If you go seeking a higher level of focus, why would you be surprised when you find it?
                  We were not surprised to find it, we went to the ECNL team for the college connection that we were not going to get on her old team. We put a lot of effort into the process and am happy to say she has made up her mind and has committed to a Patriot league school. Not going up be doing any more visits, that part is over for her. I was simply telling our story as it relates to this thread. The ECNL did have a big impact on my daughter and the college recruiting process. Is it the only way? No, but for us it worked well. She is excited and also relieved that that part is done for her.

Comment

We were not surprised to find it, we went to the ECNL team for the college connection that we were not going to get on her old team. We put a lot of effort into the process and am happy to say she has made up her mind and has committed to a Patriot league school. Not going up be doing any more visits, that part is over for her. I was simply telling our story as it relates to this thread. The ECNL did have a big impact on my daughter and the college recruiting process. Is it the only way? No, but for us it worked well. She is excited and also relieved that that part is done for her.
                    New poster. Don't take your foot off the gas. The commitment is just the first step, now she actually has to get ready to play for that college.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X