Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Saw Needham for first time and SL for second time.

Game was 0-0 at the half and Needham really didn't come that close to scoring although they were clearly the physically superior team. SL looked anemic offensively and had almost no chances other than a few free kicks mostly from distance. In the 2nd half I didn't think Needham did a whole lot either. SL basically gifted them 3 goals with defensive and GK miscues (and otherwise the SL GK was the SL "man of the match"), and each one was softer than the others.

Needham was the much stronger team and deserved to win, but I was not impressed. They are big, in fact very big. They have 5-6 kids that seriously look like they are 25 years old. I didn't think any of them were particularly dynamic or talented and I didn't see anyone (on either team) that would be more than decent contributors on low to mid-level D3 college teams.

Overall, very disappointing. Last year's Somerville, SL, and Needham would handle this year's Needham edition handily. And as for SL I'm surprised they got this far. They played hard and they have a few good players who know how to play soccer, but they are very small.

Good. I hope everyone thinks that Needham was a weak team. Always better to be considered the underdog going into a game.

Comment

This whole post makes little to no sense. First, you say Needham didn't do much and then you call the SL keeper the man of the match. Those two things don't seem to mesh. Then you talk about how last years Needham team would handle this years and how you didn't see anyone that was particularly talented on the field. Well, considering Needham brought back a substantial amount of players from last years squad including the league MVP, I'm not sure your assertions are true.
      OK, delete the comment about the GK. He grabbed a few balls out of the air and on long free kicks athletically but he wasn't required to do any significant shot-stopping.

Did you think Needham scored any good goals, or were they all a result of SL miscues?

Needham is very big and physical and somewhat athletic. I didn't see any dynamite or dynamic soccer players. Put it this way, there was no one on Needham's team as good as any of SL's 3 seniors from last year. Who was the league MVP? The really big kid?

Comment

OK, delete the comment about the GK. He grabbed a few balls out of the air and on long free kicks athletically but he wasn't required to do any significant shot-stopping.

Did you think Needham scored any good goals, or were they all a result of SL miscues?

Needham is very big and physical and somewhat athletic. I didn't see any dynamite or dynamic soccer players. Put it this way, there was no one on Needham's team as good as any of SL's 3 seniors from last year. Who was the league MVP? The really big kid?
        Needham's #10, he's got a very good complement of skills when he's not flopping to get calls, it's amazing with his size against the opposing defenders that he seems to be the one losing the physical battle even though he has significant height and weight advantage. If the referee and two assistances are not going tolerate the shenanigans then Saturday's match is going to be a good one to attend. Play an honest match and use your skill.

SJP is the odds on favorite to win it all.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers to the Needham head coach. He had collapsed
          during the first half and was taken away by ambulance.

Comment

Hope it was nothing to serious and he's with his team on the field Saturday.

Comment

MV 2/ Medway 1

With 46seconds left in OT Vineyard scores to win

Comment

Most likely is OK. The ambulance never even seemed to leave.

Comment

And yet Needham's #10 is committed to a D1 program far superior to any of those attended by SL's former 'big' 3...

Comment

Needham's #10, he's got a very good complement of skills when he's not flopping to get calls, it's amazing with his size against the opposing defenders that he seems to be the one losing the physical battle even though he has significant height and weight advantage. If the referee and two assistances are not going tolerate the shenanigans then Saturday's match is going to be a good one to attend. Play an honest match and use your skill.

SJP is the odds on favorite to win it all.
                    Put him in the middle of a, let's say Wheaton vs WPI or Babson game, and he would look pretty average, if that. Would not strike fear in an opposing coach beyond his ability to completely overpower kids at the high school level.

Comment

And yet Needham's #10 is committed to a D1 program far superior to any of those attended by SL's former 'big' 3...
                      Where? And please update us next year about whether he is actually playing.

Comment

Hopefully he's also going for academics, he's going to see a great deal of the sidelines over his 4 years. Definitely not very strong D1 material, must have been a connection! D3 yes, D2 maybe! Well at least he won't have to flop, he's going to get hit hard to the ground and wonder why he ever decided to go D1. Eat your Wheaties, you're going to need them! They don't allow whining either in D1. Go SJP!

Comment

The BENCH!

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's playing at Colgate University.

Comment

Hopefully he's also going for academics, he's going to see a great deal of the sidelines over his 4 years. Definitely not very strong D1 material, must have been a connection! D3 yes, D2 maybe! Well at least he won't have to flop, he's going to get hit hard to the ground and wonder why he ever decided to go D1. Eat your Wheaties, you're going to need them! They don't allow whining either in D1. Go SJP!
                              Listen, I'm sure he's a great kid, and probably smart, too, and I'm sure part of the reaction is to his size compared to the kids he's competing against (and that he looks 25). But, seriously, my impression seeing him today is that he will really have to substantially upgrade his motor if he is going to actually play rather than sit at Colgate. Doesn't look like the second coming of Mac Steeves in my view.

Comment

Methinks Mr. B is back! We missed you!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X