•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is SMA?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      That’s true, but the comment about the MB coach “notoriously “ letting kids rack up points is completely wrong and untrue.
      they are a good team with good kids, but i'd have to say i think he needs to pull out his starters a bit earlier when games are out of hand. i don't think he is doing it to be malicious, i just think he needs to be more aware of what he is doing. you don't want to get lumped in with the likes of the Johnston scum from last year!!

Comment

LaSalle
        SK
        Mt. Hope
        Smithfield
        NK
        Barrington
        Coventry
        Portsmouth
        Cumberland
        Lincoln
        CW
        Prout
        EG
        Scituate
        Burrillville
        SMA~ BV

Top 3 is a definite. 4-9 could change a bit.
        seems a bit more wide open than last year after lasalle and sk...i believe only 13 points is required to make playoffs

st mary academy (SMA) for the other poster could have some competition for the last spot

Comment

Sorry, I totally disagree. We had this argument last year and it seems your boner for MB hasn’t gone away. MB had 2 blowout wins last year. None of their scorers were even in the top 15-20 in the state. No one is saying anything about Tolman who has outscored opposition this year 31-1 in 3 games. Or said anything about any of the other blowouts so far. Obviously just a dislike of MB. Get over it.
          Who cares about the MB program that keeps bringing them up? They can't even win in D2 despite being able to recruit some decent talent. They should be taking their lumps in D1. No excuse for that.......thanks again riil

Comment

LaSalle
            SK
            Mt. Hope
            Smithfield
            NK
            Barrington
            Coventry
            Portsmouth
            Cumberland
            Lincoln
            CW
            Prout
            EG
            Scituate
            Burrillville
            SMA~ BV

Great slate of games tonight which should be a much better indication of where teams will start to line up...look forward to some great comments tonight!!!

Comment

d1 should be 10-12 teams! Thats it! Each team plays a home and home against the others for 18 games. No moving up or down. The teams in d2 struggle when they move up so why bother. Let them enjoy their success in d2 instead of pushing them up to get beaten handily each week. This is a riil deal and they will never ever make the right decision. After all... Are they really for the players?
              As a former coach, 18 games (assuming 10 teams) is too much when you add playoffs. There is something like 46 or so teams in RIIL - so three 12 team divisions and then a Div 4 with the leftovers (at that level, it would be okay to have 8-9 teams and maybe do a split geo division where you play half the league twice. You would eliminate almost all the need to realign except on the "one off" basis now and then.

Keep a nice 11 game league schedule; allow for some games with nearby teams one division different and/or some games against private schools. I like the suggestion of just the top 6.

I know HS ball is not on training/development (or at least as much as club soccer), but the season should be (1) shorter - ridiculous to be playing the semis and finals in Nov when the weather is hit or miss and the non-synthetic turf fields are awful and (2) let the players have a break to adjust back to school work, etc. Put some of the cost savings into a better support for the JV programs.

I know..less gate receipts and less playoff revenue for RIIL..as commented, heaven forbid principals think about the student part of student-athlete. I think it's great that RIIL has been allowing more privates (yeah, I agree there is still the issue about the inherent advantage) and charter schools - but you have to acknowledge the Times2 and BVP etc. aren't going to be at the same level as a Tolman to make a big D3 and then ignore that group.

Too bad the PCOA won't do the bit of hard work to get it fixed because once you get it organized as 4 divisions it would be pretty clean and lot fewer blowout games..

Comment

Who cares about the MB program that keeps bringing them up? They can't even win in D2 despite being able to recruit some decent talent. They should be taking their lumps in D1. No excuse for that.......thanks again riil
                Its a parent who wants more time for their kid.

Comment

As a former coach, 18 games (assuming 10 teams) is too much when you add playoffs. There is something like 46 or so teams in RIIL - so three 12 team divisions and then a Div 4 with the leftovers (at that level, it would be okay to have 8-9 teams and maybe do a split geo division where you play half the league twice. You would eliminate almost all the need to realign except on the "one off" basis now and then.

Keep a nice 11 game league schedule; allow for some games with nearby teams one division different and/or some games against private schools. I like the suggestion of just the top 6.

I know HS ball is not on training/development (or at least as much as club soccer), but the season should be (1) shorter - ridiculous to be playing the semis and finals in Nov when the weather is hit or miss and the non-synthetic turf fields are awful and (2) let the players have a break to adjust back to school work, etc. Put some of the cost savings into a better support for the JV programs.

I know..less gate receipts and less playoff revenue for RIIL..as commented, heaven forbid principals think about the student part of student-athlete. I think it's great that RIIL has been allowing more privates (yeah, I agree there is still the issue about the inherent advantage) and charter schools - but you have to acknowledge the Times2 and BVP etc. aren't going to be at the same level as a Tolman to make a big D3 and then ignore that group.

Too bad the PCOA won't do the bit of hard work to get it fixed because once you get it organized as 4 divisions it would be pretty clean and lot fewer blowout games..

Agree about 10-12 team divisions. D1 should play home/home without a doubt.
                  As far as JV is concerned... it is what it is. Gives you some HS experience and hopefully gives you an insight to what you need to do to play at the Varsity level. That's it!

DON'T shorten the season... shorten the playoffs to less teams and the season will end first week of November, as it should and always has.

In D1 you have teams in the playoffs with 13 points (needed to qualify) that should not be in a playoff game. Even if they win they will be smashed the next game. So why bother. 10 teams top 4 for playoffs. 12 teams top 6.

SMA~BV, Scituate, Burrillville, def not D1. CW, EG depends on what is coming up and they really aren't getting the players in that they need to compete. Maybe a drop for them too???

Comment

I went to watch the SK/NK game. SK/LaSalle definitely the top picks for D1!
                    NK had a great first half and it really was a great match! The first 35 min. was even between the two. Player for player SK was, by far, the better team, NK has some talent but not SK talent for sure (just being honest not trying to be demeaning), and SK were at home. NK has some new, younger, inexperienced players in their lineup, yet they will def cause some commotion in D1, I liked what I saw. SK's physical ability, semi-final run, and the fact they play together year round really has them in sync. This team has not lost a step since last year's State Final!
                    Final score SK 2 NK 0.
                    Was not a blow out, just a great game won by the better team tonight. SK did control the second half better than NK. The midfield for NK was flustered at times toward the end and it wasn't their ability... it seemed to be just inexperience vs experience in that midfield that gave SK the edge and the ability to get forward to score.
                    Good luck to both teams.. great game!
                    I was there to scout both of them and they both look pretty good with SK obviously being the better team if not the best team in the state this year. We look forward to playing both of them.

Comment

I think people were a bit too quick to discount Scituate as even being in the middle of the pack. While definitely not up in the top tier, they are firmly in the middle after watching them play yesterday.

Comment

I think people were a bit too quick to discount Scituate as even being in the middle of the pack. While definitely not up in the top tier, they are firmly in the middle after watching them play yesterday.
                        Could be..definitely not a mistake to bring them up in the current format..but honestly it says more about EG (and Cranston West).

RIIL could make someething like this..maybe adjust one up to D1 and add a Middletown, etc. to D2. These would be generally all competitive (at least now blowout) games. If you limit playoffs to just top 4, the regular season would really mean something more than just the battle for 4 vs 5 seed or 8 v 9..

LaSalle
                        SK
                        Mt. Hope
                        Smithfield
                        NK
                        Barrington
                        Coventry
                        Portsmouth
                        Cumberland
                        Lincoln

CW
                        Prout
                        EG
                        Scituate
                        Burrillville
                        SMA~ BV
                        Moses Brown
                        CHARIHO
                        Pilgrim
                        EWG
                        Wheeler

Comment

I went to watch the SK/NK game. SK/LaSalle definitely the top picks for D1!
                          NK had a great first half and it really was a great match! The first 35 min. was even between the two. Player for player SK was, by far, the better team, NK has some talent but not SK talent for sure (just being honest not trying to be demeaning), and SK were at home. NK has some new, younger, inexperienced players in their lineup, yet they will def cause some commotion in D1, I liked what I saw. SK's physical ability, semi-final run, and the fact they play together year round really has them in sync. This team has not lost a step since last year's State Final!
                          Final score SK 2 NK 0.
                          Was not a blow out, just a great game won by the better team tonight. SK did control the second half better than NK. The midfield for NK was flustered at times toward the end and it wasn't their ability... it seemed to be just inexperience vs experience in that midfield that gave SK the edge and the ability to get forward to score.
                          Good luck to both teams.. great game!
                          I was there to scout both of them and they both look pretty good with SK obviously being the better team if not the best team in the state this year. We look forward to playing both of them.
                          Good summary. NK has become one of those programs that brings up talent - especially having two middle school teams - but can't seem to bring it together at the varsity level in terms of cracking the top 3..always seem to be chasing the newer talent instead of allowing a cohort to gel over time like SK does.

Comment

Agree about 10-12 team divisions. D1 should play home/home without a doubt.
                            As far as JV is concerned... it is what it is. Gives you some HS experience and hopefully gives you an insight to what you need to do to play at the Varsity level. That's it!

DON'T shorten the season... shorten the playoffs to less teams and the season will end first week of November, as it should and always has.

In D1 you have teams in the playoffs with 13 points (needed to qualify) that should not be in a playoff game. Even if they win they will be smashed the next game. So why bother. 10 teams top 4 for playoffs. 12 teams top 6.

SMA~BV, Scituate, Burrillville, def not D1. CW, EG depends on what is coming up and they really aren't getting the players in that they need to compete. Maybe a drop for them too???

Well, we wouldn't say for a club team that the u10-12 teams "are what they are" but we'll hope for the best when they get to u14 and up.

Agree the season should end by end of Oct or NLT first weekend in Nov..while home and home is nice (and maybe with only 9 teams), 18-20 is just too many games. Studies from elite players - where they get better medical support, etc. - show substantial more injuries from playing with less than 96 hours recovery - that would mean to keep games in the typical HS season to 14 (not including playoffs). Plus every team should have at least one off day a week. If the games were generally competitive, keeping it to 13-14 games would be just fine.

Comment

LaSalle
                              SK
                              Mt. Hope
                              Smithfield
                              NK
                              Barrington
                              Coventry
                              Portsmouth
                              Cumberland
                              Lincoln
                              CW
                              Prout
                              EG
                              Scituate
                              Burrillville
                              SMA~ BV

Final Four:
                              Lasalle
                              SK
                              Smith
                              NK

Barrington
                              Mt Hope
                              Prout
                              Lincoln
                              Coventry
                              Scituate

Portsmouth
                              Cumberland
                              Burrillville
                              EG
                              CW
                              Bayview

Comment

Two kinda surprising results this week...

Portsmouth beats Mt Hope
                                Burrillville beats CW

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X