Former NEFC coaches poaching for Surf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until age 14 it’s about love for the game, and learning the basics. Once your kid hits puberty and makes their own choices, rather than trying to please daddy and mommy, then you can look at different clubs based on your kids skill set and real interest. Don’t waste money on fancy “pathways” until you know your kid is going to stick with the sport and has real potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Excellent point. The previous poster was dishonest. If you want a higher level, than it helps immensely to be staged correctly at u11 to u12. Why in the world would you take two steps back at that point?
      I was being completely honest based on what I've seen. If you're worried about early selection to "higher levels," then by u11 to u12 the top players have already been picked out and are already on a path to those higher levels.

If you have a kid that isn't a top player now but you believe has a big upside, then my feeling is you want the best coach who can teach your kid the fundamentals and the love of the game and good teammates that your kid can grow with.

Where your kid gets placed at early ages is pretty iffy anyway. As the previous poster said, it's really when they get to high school ages that you start seeing who has really been developing as a player and who was just getting by because they were a little bigger/faster/started earlier as a kid. If your kid is a true late bloomer, they will get noticed by what they do on the field.

Comment

“ u11 to u12 the top players have already been picked out and are already on a path to those higher levels“

Most hilarious comment so far. Daddy must have a prodigy!

Okay you have no clue. But I come from a family of athletes and who are still involved with soccer and basketball. Listen seriously the u10-u12 are considered littles sorry. Nobody but their parents takes those ages too seriously as we know the drop out rate is very high in the US once puberty, social, and independence starts to kick in. Your u little by age 15 may have moved on to a new sport or have interests in dating. You don’t know. Coaches don’t know. The kids who were the tallest stopped growing and the peanuts suddenly grow past them.

The other poster who mentioned puberty yes, that’s so big!

So if you actually think you need to line up the right coach by u12 or feel your child has been “selected” as a stand out, you are being sold a story likely to get more money. Clubs oldest trick.,, “I see major potential for your child’s career with the RIGHT coaching.”
        Nope

Look at Ronaldo hmmmm so many athletes start out poor with very little time, money and zero coaching in those young years. Not being selected to a pricey club!

Comment

“ u11 to u12 the top players have already been picked out and are already on a path to those higher levels“

Most hilarious comment so far. Daddy must have a prodigy!
          Don't be an *******. The clubs have identified who their top players are going into the U12-U13 "higher level" leagues. That doesn't mean these players are going to be top going into USWNT or HS or even U14. As I said, selection at these ages is very iffy, but if the parent is concerned about losing the chance to a "higher pathway," then I think the ship has already sailed.

Look at Ronaldo hmmmm so many athletes start out poor with very little time, money and zero coaching in those young years. Not being selected to a pricey club!
          I am saying that staying with a coach and a team that's good for your kid is important, and worrying about that league selection stuff is not. If you think it's even better to just not do club soccer because Ronaldo didn't, then okay.

Comment

Every club is the same in RI. Stop posturing.

Not my first rodeo.

If you have older kids you know that the kids just need to have fun and learn skills.
            But it doesn’t matter at which club really. If your kid has natural talent and desire they will teach themselves w their buddies after school much better than the coach.

Comment

Former Southeast NEFC parent here. I didn't receive this email, but was forwarded it by another parent. If I am ashamed, I don't know how BM is not.

Parents and players do not need to be involved in any dispute between former employees and NEFC. The email shouldn't have included all emails as a cc and parents definitely should not be sent coaches personal addresses and salaries.

This is disgraceful behavior by a leader of youth sports. It was petty, disturbing and doesn't make anyone feel good about the organization. An apology email should have been sent immediately. Parents I spoke with who were thinking about staying are thinking twice for sure.

Comment

Former Southeast NEFC parent here. I didn't receive this email, but was forwarded it by another parent. If I am ashamed, I don't know how BM is not.

Parents and players do not need to be involved in any dispute between former employees and NEFC. The email shouldn't have included all emails as a cc and parents definitely should not be sent coaches personal addresses and salaries.

This is disgraceful behavior by a leader of youth sports. It was petty, disturbing and doesn't make anyone feel good about the organization. An apology email should have been sent immediately. Parents I spoke with who were thinking about staying are thinking twice for sure.
                Thank you surf coach. More of the same from you. Desperation. Truly shows how disgusting you are. You really think people would trust you with our children?

Comment

I'm not in the NEFC/SURF mix but I know people who were. There really is very little to feel good about on both sides of this. I can understand NEFC holding the coaches accountable for poaching, but involving the parents in the way they did was very unprofessional. Even if some of the parents were part of the problem, I'm sure there were many who were not. Sad times for Youth soccer in this area. Shame on SC and BM for their roles in this mess!

Comment

I think that what most people are missing is how much NEFC is losing in all this. Everyone has been focused on the complete calamity that is GPS but NEFC have been hurt significantly. They have lost all of Rhode Island and it also looks like NEFC West is defecting. They are going to be down close to 50% next year.

Comment

I think that what most people are missing is how much NEFC is losing in all this. Everyone has been focused on the complete calamity that is GPS but NEFC have been hurt significantly. They have lost all of Rhode Island and it also looks like NEFC West is defecting. They are going to be down close to 50% next year.
                      Down X% does not necessarily mean they are down net if the “losses” were not profitable for them.

Comment

Down X% does not necessarily mean they are down net if the “losses” were not profitable for them.
                        If the "losses" were not profitable, then why the childish hissyfit about them leaving?

Comment

If the "losses" were not profitable, then why the childish hissyfit about them leaving?
                          Pride. Big swinging Richards like BM don’t like to lose, or be seen to lose, to be more accurate. Ego doesn’t allow it. It’s why people like this eventually fail in business. They think they are too smart to fail because of their previous success . Too many of these yahoos think it was skill and smarts when it was really good fortune and timing.

Comment

As I learn more about surf club is it true they aren’t going to be part of NEP or DPL?
                            So the young kids aren’t going to get to compete in NEP? Where will they play? Each other? Or will they be part of EDP playing the lowest CT teams?

So confused why parents have chosen Surf over NEFC and Bayside when they can’t compete?

Comment

As I learn more about surf club is it true they aren’t going to be part of NEP or DPL?
                              So the young kids aren’t going to get to compete in NEP? Where will they play? Each other? Or will they be part of EDP playing the lowest CT teams?

So confused why parents have chosen Surf over NEFC and Bayside when they can’t compete?
                              Parents have to make the choice about devwlopment. If your kid is the top 3 of a top NEFC or Baysidefc then why leave. If your kid is a middle pack or lower then go to team were your kid will get more touches and good coaching. Baysidefc just wants to say they developed a kid or two to play Pro.
                              Look at NEFC SE , Bruno or Bolts southeast. Just as many kids have gone to play college.
                              Gatorade player of the year =Bruno.
                              Last year Gatorade player of the year =NEFC/Blackwatch

You are lucky you have goid coaches in all the Rhode Island Based clubs.

Comment

Well, three of the EDP clubs announced are basically GPS and NEFC teams from last year, so that's NEP premiership-level. As far as the CT teams, the CT board sounds pretty enthusiastic about EDP, the first thing I saw saying "Several strong CT clubs going all in on this new league." Plus this new conference will be part of the nationwide USYS conference system, while NEP is a shrinking regional league.

So sure, there are uncertainties with EDP, but there's a lot of potential upside. The only way to know for sure will be to go through the fall season and make reassess in November.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X