Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    As far as Sweden goes, it's about the original announced strategy of "flattening the curve." Everyone seems to have quickly forgotten that all this curtailment of freedom was intended to save the lives of those who would have died as a result of the healthcare system being overwhelmed. NOT to save the lives of EVERYONE. The virus is out there, and the number under the curve is unlikely to change, no matter how flat you try to make it. Those who will die will die, eventually.
    You misunderstand what flattening the curve is about. The immediate goal is to avoid total saturation of the healthcare system. But the longer term goal is to reduce the total area under the curve, either by actually containing the disease or by holding off spread until better treatments or prevention become available.

Australia and New Zealand seem to have successfully flattened the curve without exposing everyone in both countries and seeing who lives. A few other countries seem to be similarly close.

Notice also that we have not all gotten SARS, for example, and lived or died.

The healthcare system has NOT been overwhelmed, so there's no need to remain in the state we are in. And THAT is what Sweden has always known, and what Germany, Austria, etc., are finally opening their eyes to. But not us. Let's keep our heads in the sand and drag this pain out as long as possible.
    People are working on this, they aren't keeping their heads in the sand. The question is how to get out of this pain in some reasonable way.

It would be very strange to argue that because severe restrictions have successfully prevented the healthcare system from being overwhelmed, we should open it all up and overwhelm the healthcare system.

Comment

Governor just announced opening of parks starting Sat. Stay at home order also lifted. Social gatherings can resume up to 5 people. Parents are planning small soccer practices with about 3-4 kids with one parent (dad) in the backyards. That is and should be okay, since it IS allowed. When we get into Phase 2 bigger soccer practices will be happening with or without permission from clubs and organizations. Phase 2 will be going in June. Phase 3 July.... soooo yea some states are opening up sports, and so should we.

Comment

Governor just announced opening of parks starting Sat. Stay at home order also lifted. Social gatherings can resume up to 5 people. Parents are planning small soccer practices with about 3-4 kids with one parent (dad) in the backyards. That is and should be okay, since it IS allowed. When we get into Phase 2 bigger soccer practices will be happening with or without permission from clubs and organizations. Phase 2 will be going in June. Phase 3 July.... soooo yea some states are opening up sports, and so should we.
        So it look likes you want the virus? Rhode Island is doing a terrible job with the virus and its the smallest state

Comment

So it look likes you want the virus? Rhode Island is doing a terrible job with the virus and its the smallest state
          Considering where we’re located geographically, we’re not doing that bad, relatively speaking.

Comment

Considering where we’re located geographically, we’re not doing that bad, relatively speaking.
            Ye we are man, smallest state and we got the 22nd most cases, u say that ain't bad u ret

Comment

Ye we are man, smallest state and we got the 22nd most cases, u say that ain't bad u ret
              Not sure what that last word was you were trying to say, but you've noticed that we live in a state surrounded by other states with high infection rates, right?

Comment

Pointless to argue politics. We have no control over what is happening with the state. The Governor has decided to open up the state and rumor has it she also wants youth sports to start up by mid-summer. Of course it will look differently but it will happen. Restaurants are opening. Daycare open June 1. She wants schools open in September. I know some people are scared but the state is reopening, it's a fact. So soccer will likely be back by August. She expects we will be in the 50-100 group size by then. Kids won't wear masks, but adults will just like in the daycares opening in a few weeks, kids are not wearing masks, but workers are.

Comment

Pointless to argue politics. We have no control over what is happening with the state. The Governor has decided to open up the state and rumor has it she also wants youth sports to start up by mid-summer. Of course it will look differently but it will happen. Restaurants are opening. Daycare open June 1. She wants schools open in September. I know some people are scared but the state is reopening, it's a fact. So soccer will likely be back by August. She expects we will be in the 50-100 group size by then. Kids won't wear masks, but adults will just like in the daycares opening in a few weeks, kids are not wearing masks, but workers are.
                  That'd be great and all, but I doubt SuperLiga will be putting anything together for town teams. Club teams are at the mercy of Massachusetts, and maybe Connecticut to an extent. Tournaments are out because of crowd size. Maybe they could get creative and do something all in-state. Bayside, NEFC, GPS playing each other. Include lower level teams like Bruno and Liverpool, if they just want some games without worrying about being overmatched. Maybe Rams could even find a way to play across leagues (are there other RI teams in CCL?).

Comment

As of today the Governor says planning to allow summer camps and even sports camps and practices if kids are divided into smaller groups possibly 12 kids. However as of now CDC says no to organized youth sports playing basically due to traveling and playing other teams. Maybe clubs and towns can offer soccer training in small groups with their coaches from the spring and organize 6 v 6, or 4 v 4 games within their own teams to practice and play their friends on their teams. Sports camps now will be happening in RI so let’s face towns make sports camps and practices available to the players.

Comment

Sports camps now will be happening in RI so let’s face towns make sports camps and practices available to the players.
                      do you mean "force" instead of "face"?

Comment

do you mean "force" instead of "face"?
                        Haha no not force! I meant to type Let’s “hope” towns.,, no idea why it said face.

Comment

Haha no not force! I meant to type Let’s “hope” towns.,, no idea why it said face.
                          I understood your words. Good idea. No reason towns and clubs can't adjust to meet the format and keep kidd engaged. Might be fun for them doing small sided type games or scrimmage each other.
                          Lets hope town teams and club teams adjust for the time being.

Comment

I understood your words. Good idea. No reason towns and clubs can't adjust to meet the format and keep kidd engaged. Might be fun for them doing small sided type games or scrimmage each other.
                            I'm getting my U10s together just as soon as the curtain is lifted. Even if it's just to pass to each other a bit and take a few shots. My kid heard about the possibility and his face lit up.

Comment

4 x 4 games against your own team mates for the summer would be good for kids. More touches on the ball, kids spread out more, use 90 min “practices” or “sport camp” a few times a week with skills, conditioning, games, and small sided scrimmages. Gov said we can do that as of June 29. People just need to get creative. Gov says CDC doesn’t want teams playing other teams at this time. So play each other. It’s called a “stable group.” 1-2 coaches with a group of around 12 kids. If they aren’t traveling or mixing with other teams it’s allowed. I hope towns and higher ups look into this.

Comment

4 x 4 games against your own team mates for the summer would be good for kids. More touches on the ball, kids spread out more, use 90 min “practices” or “sport camp” a few times a week with skills, conditioning, games, and small sided scrimmages. Gov said we can do that as of June 29. People just need to get creative. Gov says CDC doesn’t want teams playing other teams at this time. So play each other. It’s called a “stable group.” 1-2 coaches with a group of around 12 kids. If they aren’t traveling or mixing with other teams it’s allowed. I hope towns and higher ups look into this.
                                I’d love to send something like that to my town’s rec director. Can you point me to the reference, please?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X