Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turf fields

My kid moved up to a new team that plays clubs that have turf fields.
    Is it worth getting turf cleats or just the normal ground cleats or okay.

For example, one of the fields is the Cedar Creek Park.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Normal cleats are fine. Mine has turf shoes and never chooses them over regular cleats for turf.

Comment

Get short studded cleats. Longer studs can cause knee injuries

Comment

Get short studded cleats. Longer studs can cause knee injuries
        Agreed, however you need to see what Infill is used in the synthetic grass fibers. Its usually rubber crumble and depending on the depth regular cleats can be okay. More depth of the crumbled rubber and you can use regular cleats. There are fields that use silica sand for the infill or not as much crumbled rubber and turf cleats are needed.

A normal cleat needs ground to penetrate in order to be able to dig in and work well.

Comment

Normal cleats are fine. Mine has turf shoes and never chooses them over regular cleats for turf.
          Same with my kid. However, we have played at Cedar Creek and sometimes they do enforce the no cleats on turf depending on field so I just bring them in case.

Comment

My D has turfs but always uses her FG cleats. You can usually research which shoes are good for using on multiple surfaces. Conical studs are usually ok (shorter length as another poster mentioned) but I would probably avoid bladed stud patters (Nike Mercurial, Adidas X) on turf.

Comment

Funny that the common meaning of the word turf is an artificial surface when the word actually means grass.

Comment

Turf. As in artificial turf. No one calls grass turf you wanker.

Comment

If you have a daughter (girls are much more prone to knee injuries), I would switch her to turf shoes.

Comment

If you have a daughter (girls are much more prone to knee injuries), I would switch her to turf shoes.
                    If you are worried about knee injuries, why in the world would you want better grip that will create even more torsion on the ligaments?

Comment

If you are worried about knee injuries, why in the world would you want better grip that will create even more torsion on the ligaments?
                      Incorrect. The soles of turf shoes tend to be rubber (rather than harder plastic of a FG cleat). The "studs" themselves are shorter and rounded--overall, a more "compliant" sole. The shoe will "give" more because of the material that the sole is made of. Harder, longer (and particularly bladed) studs actually increase traction.

Comment

Incorrect. The soles of turf shoes tend to be rubber (rather than harder plastic of a FG cleat). The "studs" themselves are shorter and rounded--overall, a more "compliant" sole. The shoe will "give" more because of the material that the sole is made of. Harder, longer (and particularly bladed) studs actually increase traction.
                        Turf is bad enough for knees and ankles even with the right cleats. If you can afford a separate pair of cleats for turf vs grass all the better.

Comment

turf fields

Interesting and makes sense...are you an engineer by trade? just curious.

Comment

You need flat-soled futsal boots

You need turf-specific boots

You need firm-ground boots

You need long, screw-in style deep-turf boots

This message brought to you by Nike.

(FYI, FG boots are made for turf now and most companies have begun to phase out the turf-specific boot offerings due to them being unnecessary)

Comment

Same with my kid. However, we have played at Cedar Creek and sometimes they do enforce the no cleats on turf depending on field so I just bring them in case.
                              who enforces the no cleats rule? the refs?

which other turf fields have strict no cleat rules?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X