Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing Female Goalkeepers

Although I have seen some excellent youth female goalkeepers I personally have not seen a lot of them and I am wondering what strategies programs have used to try to identify and develop some kids for this position?

Given the difficulty of finding keepers, especially good ones, I think clubs should wave fees (or steeply discount them) for keepers. That might attract more candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Given the difficulty of finding keepers, especially good ones, I think clubs should wave fees (or steeply discount them) for keepers. That might attract more candidates.
      That may attract the parent but not the kid. Great goalies are born and not made. They are athletic, fearless, smart and calm

Comment

Although I have seen some excellent youth female goalkeepers I personally have not seen a lot of them and I am wondering what strategies programs have used to try to identify and develop some kids for this position?
        From our perspective, we were attracted to a club that had full time goal keeping coach and structured keeper practices 2x weekly.

Our first clubs' goal keeper practices consisted of the goalie being subjected to target practice as people shot from point blank range.

Comment

Is this your solution? Wow! Obamacare at it's best. "Hi everyone, this year our team will consist of 14 goalkeepers and one defenseman. We may not score many goals and the percentages of only having one true defenseman means we will have a ton of goals scored upon us as the keeper can't stop everything". You can have a great athlete physically, but the keeper position requires someone to have the right frame of mind mentally. A lot of times, that is not something that can be developed and genetics play a part.

PS-I sometimes wonder if some of these questions are canned. I find it amusing that this post is dedicated to female keepers and the reply words "From our perspective, we were attracted to a club that had full time goal keeping coach and structured keeper practices 2x weekly". This leads me to believe that this is a canned question and a canned response. So, now someone here will ask, what club offers "structured keeper practices 2x weekly?". Then the same person asking that question will then respond. What a joke! Everyone, just think....female keepers (what club focuses on females only). The poor males in this club should wake up, you are nothing but a "check" or "money deposit" for this club. Enough said.

Comment

Especially since this is the first season that will have structured practices for keepers 2x a week. I bet after this season, they will look back and say "no one really showed up 2x a week plus their team practices 2x a week" and it will go back to once a week. Heck, that might happen by the time winter rolls around.

Comment

Especially since this is the first season that will have structured practices for keepers 2x a week. I bet after this season, they will look back and say "no one really showed up 2x a week plus their team practices 2x a week" and it will go back to once a week. Heck, that might happen by the time winter rolls around.
              I don't know if this is a planted question or not. For girls there aren't even that many clubs that have keeper training that often.

My keeper moved to a club this year where they do train 2x a week - has made a huge developmental difference. However, part of that is driven by quality of the coach vs simply the frequency. This new one spends a good deal of time discussing the mental aspects of the game - things that can be tough as a keeper like feeling you let your team down, etc. Also, at her prior (smaller) club keeper practices were irregularly once a week with all the keepers. Big disparity in age, size and ability and I'm not sure how much they got out of it.

Also, if there is keeper 2x/week plus team 2-3x/week there will be conflicts - usually they get pulled into part of one team practice. Better that way - if they have practices 5x/week they can easily burn out.

Comment

I was the OP and it was not a canned question. My sense was that the boys teams never lack for keepers so I was curious and looking for information whether there were perhaps strategies for developing girl keepers... whether it is identifying them earlier or separate training etc. I appreciate the responses.

Comment

I have a daughter keeper. It isn't an easy position to play for either gender, but I think it's a bit more difficult for girls. This obviously isn't true of all girls, but in general they do want to please and be liked. Sometimes losses are blamed on the keeper which isn't always justified - sure a GK can screw up, but it's a team effort as well. Some can shake it off, others not so much.

Also, I've seen some excellent field players who are 100% fearless when it comes to dribbling and passing, but if that ball is flying at them they duck as if it were a bullet. Being a keeper takes a degree of fearlessness (and willingness to get hit) that not all girls posses.

I think the sooner girls can get some exposure to the position and see that there isn't anything to be afraid of helps. Too often for both genders, one or two kids are willing to play the spot and they get stuck in that spot because no one else is willing to play. When they are younger coaches should rotate the whole team in and out. You never know who might take to it, and it gives field players a better understanding and appreciation of the position.

Comment

This is by far the dumbest post and replies I have seen yet. And BS as to it not being a canned posting. We know who you are trying to reference this too. As for the stupid reply of girls being more afraid to be hit....BS. There are a ton of boys who want nothing to do with this position because they are afraid of being hit. Look at college soccer programs. There are just as much top flight girls as boys in this position. Coaching this position at the youth level doesn't change if you are a girl or boy. It's technique, aggressiveness, distribution, communication. The girls are not playing against the boys but sometimes they do train with them. The girls or boys don't suffer in this case. Why am I even responding to this dumb post!

Comment

All clubs should waive all fees including uniforms for the keepers. Additionally, the girls should train by themselves and they should all wear pink. Training should be inside since it gets cold and sometimes hot. Also, it could rain and this plays an impact on their hair. Finally, I'm thinking we could have Lia Sophia as their sponsors. This will only increase their appetite in wanting to play. I'm thinking we should also change the title of the position from keeper to Princess.

Comment

Sign her up for keeperstop.com

Comment

Is this your solution? Wow! Obamacare at it's best. "Hi everyone, this year our team will consist of 14 goalkeepers and one defenseman. We may not score many goals and the percentages of only having one true defenseman means we will have a ton of goals scored upon us as the keeper can't stop everything". You can have a great athlete physically, but the keeper position requires someone to have the right frame of mind mentally. A lot of times, that is not something that can be developed and genetics play a part.

PS-I sometimes wonder if some of these questions are canned. I find it amusing that this post is dedicated to female keepers and the reply words "From our perspective, we were attracted to a club that had full time goal keeping coach and structured keeper practices 2x weekly". This leads me to believe that this is a canned question and a canned response. So, now someone here will ask, what club offers "structured keeper practices 2x weekly?". Then the same person asking that question will then respond. What a joke! Everyone, just think....female keepers (what club focuses on females only). The poor males in this club should wake up, you are nothing but a "check" or "money deposit" for this club. Enough said.
                          I made the commentary about the structured keeper practices. I am not the op and purposely kept the name of the club out of it.

Stop the paranoia people. Everything isn't a conspiracy

Ps>> I agree that no club focuses on female keepers and that you train them the same way

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X