Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it worth?

What is it worth to play club soccer. I am not looking for an actual dollar amount like some other threads on this topic, but instead, I am wondering why there isn't a tiered system with regard to the level you are playing.

For example (and not meant to disrespect any particular club), NEFC has 9 U11 girls teams. I am assuming that the yearly fee and expenses are the same for each. Would it be unreasonable for the club to downgrade the cost for the lower teams? If my son or daughter were playing for a Division III team, I wouldn't want to pay as much as what is charged for the Division I team.

I do realize that the club uses the money from the lower tiered teams to pay for scholarships for the first division teams. However, are the clubs that able to provide the same training and experience that makes it worthwhile for those lower tiered families to pay a full fee/costs?

Personally, I would see the writing on the wall and realize that my child was not going to be a superstar and keep him/her in the cheaper town system and consider other sports.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What is it worth to play club soccer. I am not looking for an actual dollar amount like some other threads on this topic, but instead, I am wondering why there isn't a tiered system with regard to the level you are playing.

For example (and not meant to disrespect any particular club), NEFC has 9 U11 girls teams. I am assuming that the yearly fee and expenses are the same for each. Would it be unreasonable for the club to downgrade the cost for the lower teams? If my son or daughter were playing for a Division III team, I wouldn't want to pay as much as what is charged for the Division I team.

I do realize that the club uses the money from the lower tiered teams to pay for scholarships for the first division teams. However, are the clubs that able to provide the same training and experience that makes it worthwhile for those lower tiered families to pay a full fee/costs?

Personally, I would see the writing on the wall and realize that my child was not going to be a superstar and keep him/her in the cheaper town system and consider other sports.
    ok, I'll play (and of course you don't mean to disrespect any one club). All these teams receive the same number of training hours, attend the same number of tournaments (forget the travel expense), play the same number of league games and you would expect to pay less why?

Comment

I've have never been involved with a club where the weaker teams subsidize the better teams. Teams all have fixed costs, fields, balls, registration etc. which would be (about) the same for most teams. Teams that travel more will have higher travel cost and tournament fees but that is usually paid from a seperate fund.

Comment

ok, I'll play (and of course you don't mean to disrespect any one club). All these teams receive the same number of training hours, attend the same number of tournaments (forget the travel expense), play the same number of league games and you would expect to pay less why?
        and please don't forget the brilliance of the coaches, especially at nefc...

Comment

I've have never been involved with a club where the weaker teams subsidize the better teams.
          hmmmmmmm....
          Well, I've been on several boards, all of which TRIED to do an honest job, and even then, it's not all mathematically pure. I wouldn't call it a "subsidy" but....

The biggest issue is usually coach's salary. Since they are not all the same, but the fee for the team might be set even before knowing who the coach was.

I never had a problem with it. As long as the league didn't do something like a bait and switch (promise an "A" license and deliver a volunteer).

The club has to have some lattitude. It's like a school that has to divvy up its teachers among various classes. Everybody pays the same tuition, but not ever teacher gets the same salary.

Comment

I've have never been involved with a club where the weaker teams subsidize the better teams. Teams all have fixed costs, fields, balls, registration etc. which would be (about) the same for most teams. Teams that travel more will have higher travel cost and tournament fees but that is usually paid from a seperate fund.

Really. I don't know what club you belong to, however, if they have scholarship players then who do you think pays for them?? Although it is not specifically written that way, the fees of the other players helps to offset costs of the scholarship players. There are benefits to having multiple age group teams. One is to have a farm system. The other is to make more money for the club so it can afford more sholarshiops. I believe that the number of sholarships offered at the lower tiered teams is next to, if not actually....zero.

Comment

Really. I don't know what club you belong to, however, if they have scholarship players then who do you think pays for them?? Although it is not specifically written that way, the fees of the other players helps to offset costs of the scholarship players. There are benefits to having multiple age group teams. One is to have a farm system. The other is to make more money for the club so it can afford more sholarshiops. I believe that the number of sholarships offered at the lower tiered teams is next to, if not actually....zero.
              At my Club the scholarships are need based not ability based so a "b" team may have more scholarships than the "a"

Comment

Have been involved for 8 years in club is it worth it, it all depends I have my own kids who are now 16, 15, 12 playing club and probably their last year playing, they have no interests anymore. All play for maple division one teams even at ODP and Sub regional league level also.
                The bottom line is we as parents have to be realistics and true to ourselves, Do we push our kids or do we give them the opportunity and let them choose. As one of my kids said "I'm not looking to play in college." Summed it all up.
                It was great seeing the success they had as club players, But for me it was a good 8 years and good experience that I think I would never do it again with my younger kids who are going to be far better players than the three mentioned.

Club is good it has its pros and cons,
                depends on what you as a parent want from it.

Just my thought on club soccer.

Comment

Club soccer has its ups and downs from team to team within a club, like NEFC. In the long haul the trip is worth it if the expectations are not set to high.. Chasing wins, changing clubs to be on the best team always, is not the best value you can receive. If you VALUE your son or daughter getting better training with other kids that are interested in playing soccer at some level and gaining skills. Club will get it done.

It builds character, teaches the kids to work hard to get things that they want in life. Hard work in soccer will result in a better player, will she National team material, I think not... But it is possible that you have the gifted child that with proper nutruring maybe she does advance, and end up playing on her HS team, even better playing at a D3 school, or if she is bright, and talented athlete maybe even a D2 or D1 player. Numbers suggest that more kids will drop out, then play even D3 but it is fun. Kids build friends outside there town, they learn to focus, and work hard at practice, respect other athletes who without soccer they may not like or ever have the chance of meeting.

Do the research grass roots style by asking everyone, not jumping in to soon. Meet the coach, goto training sessions, find out what the expectations are for your child. Ask which team they are putting you on, they may tell you they do not rank teams but that is a lie. Most of all do not put your child in a situation above her head. Parents that get on that team, and the child is a beach warmer will have bad results.. Make sure your expectations are not more than your child can chew or swallow..

Buyer Beware like anything else in this world..
                  Club is fun, competitive, and when it is all over and you child is off to college or over 18 yrs old you will be looking for what to do on Sunday afternoons.

Comment

There are many that say it may or may not be worth it for kids who play on the 'A' team of a club. Many of these look back at the money spent and realize that the money and time could have been invested elsewhere. For those who can easily afford it, it may only be a bump in the road. For others it is a continued struggle.

So...is it worth all the time and money for someone not playing on the club's 'A' team...I would say that paying excessive amounts each year (a number which is individually defined....? > 2000/year total) is not worth it. If however, you find a club and coach for a reasonable cost then great. This is where MPS succeeds and other clubs fail. MPS offers a tiered system for those who are really interested and for those who may not be as interested. In addition, they offer many different options and conveniences with regard to practice and game location. If you are more serious then they get more serious and the commitment is more.
                    Other clubs are an all or none phenomenon.

Comment

If you think your son/daughter has the talent and drive, scrape and borrow if you have to and do it.

If you think your son/d just have the drive and you have the money to spend, do it

otherwise don't

Comment

This is where MPS succeeds and other clubs fail. MPS offers a tiered system for those who are really interested and for those who may not be as interested. In addition, they offer many different options and conveniences with regard to practice and game location. If you are more serious then they get more serious and the commitment is more. W
                        Beware of people offering which club for you to play for.. They are TROLLS...

MPS goes under buyer beware......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X