Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    At a neighbor's party the other night. One dad was talking about his kids' college soccer experiences. He has three kids, two of who were excellent soccer players. One went NESCAC and was a top player for a top team. The other went Ivy. The dad was complaining about the Ivy soccer experience. He thought the time commitment (especially off season) was ridiculous. Was going on and on about how the D3 has the better balance between sports and the rest of college.

Also said that there is a lot of attrition on the Ivy team, not as much on the NESCAC team.
    Apparently money is not an issue for this family.

Comment

Apparently money is not an issue for this family.
      Why assume. Top NESCAC schools give tons of financial aid.

Comment

You are not graduating from a NESCAC debt free unless your parents are paying for it.At least 70- or more thousand in debt at grad.

Comment

At a neighbor's party the other night. One dad was talking about his kids' college soccer experiences. He has three kids, two of who were excellent soccer players. One went NESCAC and was a top player for a top team. The other went Ivy. The dad was complaining about the Ivy soccer experience. He thought the time commitment (especially off season) was ridiculous. Was going on and on about how the D3 has the better balance between sports and the rest of college.

Also said that there is a lot of attrition on the Ivy team, not as much on the NESCAC team.
          There in lies the rub. That balance comes at the expense of the soccer because everything is throttled down to accommodate the higher focus on academics. The Ivy kids get screwed because they have the high expectations of the Ivy academics coupled with the high expectations of D1 athletics without the scholarship money and more important the academic supports that the other D1 athletes get.

Comment

Why assume. Top NESCAC schools give tons of financial aid.
            Unless you have multiple kids in college at the same time no one around these parts is paying what club soccer now costs and still getting a ton of financial aid. Once you cross an AGI of $150,000 you get nothing. An AGI of $150,000 is basically two school teachers.

Comment

You are not graduating from a NESCAC debt free unless your parents are paying for it.At least 70- or more thousand in debt at grad.
              No one said debt free did they? Ivies give lots of FA too and who knows what the family could or couldn't cover with what was left. Graduating with a little debt isn't a death sentence and it's not bad for them to have some skin in the game. A small manageable amount is ok.

Comment

I Do not know of any person that received enough financial help from D3 ,thru grants,merits awards that allowed them to graduate without at least 80-90 k in debt.Doesn't happen.

3 of my kids are going to D3 schools with more than half of their bills paid, on merit, and grants. I pay the rest, with the money I have saved their whole life in a 529. Each of them have played on sports teams, and each of them is majoring in a STEM field, and have had amazing internships, study abroads. They all were in the top 10 in their classes in high school and straight A students, but we never considered D1 schools because sports are secondary to a great small school education, and we didn't want our kids to have to have a fulltime "job" while in college.

I think BTDT is mad he sold his kid to the highest bidder. I think that is why he hates on D3.

Comment

I posted this. From the public information available about this family (two professional parents with advances degrees, both full time at large companies, large home with modest mortgage in expensive suburb of Boston, fancy cars, fancy vacations) I doubt financial aid was a consideration. But I do not know for sure.

Comment

There in lies the rub. That balance comes at the expense of the soccer because everything is throttled down to accommodate the higher focus on academics. The Ivy kids get screwed because they have the high expectations of the Ivy academics coupled with the high expectations of D1 athletics without the scholarship money and more important the academic supports that the other D1 athletes get.
                    If the soccer is so friggin important then why go to very stressful, super high academic achieving places like Duke and Stanford???? Mic drop.

Comment

3 of my kids are going to D3 schools with more than half of their bills paid, on merit, and grants. I pay the rest, with the money I have saved their whole life in a 529. Each of them have played on sports teams, and each of them is majoring in a STEM field, and have had amazing internships, study abroads. They all were in the top 10 in their classes in high school and straight A students, but we never considered D1 schools because sports are secondary to a great small school education, and we didn't want our kids to have to have a fulltime "job" while in college.

I think BTDT is mad he sold his kid to the highest bidder. I think that is why he hates on D3.
                      Yeah, he sure doesn't want to hear about any D3 kids going to med school.

Comment

Unless you have multiple kids in college at the same time no one around these parts is paying what club soccer now costs and still getting a ton of financial aid. Once you cross an AGI of $150,000 you get nothing. An AGI of $150,000 is basically two school teachers.
                        Not for nothing, but every college now has an online calculator to get a rough idea of how much financial aid a family would receive and what their expected family contribution would be. Our AGI is about 190k and every calculator I've used has our family's expected contribution close to $45k on total costs between $70k-80k depending on the college. That's $25-35k in financial aid that doesn't need to be repaid.

Even with an AGI over 150k, there is help. Not saying $45k/year is manageable to most six-figure income families, but we could easily cover half that a year and the kid takes loans out on the rest. Add in academic money for top academic prospects and athletic money for top athletic prospects, and it can work with some planning, sacrifices, and a little luck.

Also, not sure where the teachers you know live and work, but the teachers I know don't earn $100k... not even close. Principals, school psychologists, and other senior "admin" positions pay that, but the majority rank and file don't earn $100k around these parts. http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/statere...rsalaries.aspx from 2018 shows 5 school districts with average teacher income over $100k out of 100's. Averages are a terrible metric given they get skewed by outliers. Median would be much closer to the "truth" of what teachers earn as it is very dependent on what school district and length of time in the job. I know a ton new teachers who are barely breaking 40k and many don't last the 20+ years. They often leave the profession with 10.

Comment

Certainly reads like someone has a chip on their shoulders. Very few kids get tons of either athletic or academic money from top tier schools. Most end up trading prestige for money in one way or another.

Comment

Not for nothing, but every college now has an online calculator to get a rough idea of how much financial aid a family would receive and what their expected family contribution would be. Our AGI is about 190k and every calculator I've used has our family's expected contribution close to $45k on total costs between $70k-80k depending on the college. That's $25-35k in financial aid that doesn't need to be repaid.

Even with an AGI over 150k, there is help. Not saying $45k/year is manageable to most six-figure income families, but we could easily cover half that a year and the kid takes loans out on the rest. Add in academic money for top academic prospects and athletic money for top athletic prospects, and it can work with some planning, sacrifices, and a little luck.

Also, not sure where the teachers you know live and work, but the teachers I know don't earn $100k... not even close. Principals, school psychologists, and other senior "admin" positions pay that, but the majority rank and file don't earn $100k around these parts. http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/statere...rsalaries.aspx from 2018 shows 5 school districts with average teacher income over $100k out of 100's. Averages are a terrible metric given they get skewed by outliers. Median would be much closer to the "truth" of what teachers earn as it is very dependent on what school district and length of time in the job. I know a ton new teachers who are barely breaking 40k and many don't last the 20+ years. They often leave the profession with 10.
                            Just saying athletic scholarship money doesn’t need to be repaid either

Comment

Yeah, he sure doesn't want to hear about any D3 kids going to med school.
                              Just saying, if you pumped all that money into any school one would hope that it resulted in admission to some grad school

Comment

Just saying, if you pumped all that money into any school one would hope that it resulted in admission to some grad school
                                About as bizarre as suggesting that athletic prowess gets you into med school, and with a written guarantee, no less.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X