Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No soccer games! Club is dead

No soccer according to governor except practices? I’m glad we didn’t sign with our club. Soccer is a contact sport and now it’s dead in the water.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No soccer according to governor except practices? I’m glad we didn’t sign with our club. Soccer is a contact sport and now it’s dead in the water.
    She specifically said this only applied to the summer, with clarification on the fall to come later. Other than tournaments, clubs don't start their season until late August at the earliest. Also, a lot of club games are played in MA or CT. If it comes down to it, I don't see why clubs who have their home games in RI couldn't just arrange to play away all season. Depending on what those states' policies are, of course.

Frankly, you'd be better off if you had signed up with your club. At least they have that option to play out of state. All the town teams can do is cross their fingers and hope the fall brings better news.

Comment

Huh. Did you listen to what she said? The prohibition against "contact sports",for which soccer was included, was for Phase 3 only. She went on to say Phase 3 would be July to early August. Most club tournaments do not start until mid / late August.

While somewhat disappointing, likely a blessing in disguise. Give the kids a month or so of training / conditioning and hopefully avoid injuries / better quality of the games on the restart .

Comment

Huh. Did you listen to what she said? The prohibition against "contact sports",for which soccer was included, was for Phase 3 only. She went on to say Phase 3 would be July to early August. Most club tournaments do not start until mid / late August.

While somewhat disappointing, likely a blessing in disguise. Give the kids a month or so of training / conditioning and hopefully avoid injuries / better quality of the games on the restart .
        Seriously, my kids are going to be getting more training heading into a fall season than they've ever had.

Comment

Oh I see your still hoping. Because soccer is a contact sport...It WONT happen. I can read between the lines. Go play tennis.

Comment

Or we could all go back to pretending everything is fine and then end up right back with no soccer at all when things worsen. Haven't we learned anything in the last three months????

Comment

NO HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER
              NO CLUB SOCCER
              NO TOWN SOCCER

WHY? because the leader has decided soccer, football, hockey, and basketball are contact sports. Don't sign up for club, town or pay for pre season soccer camps because there is NO fall season. The club owners are spreading false hope here and they know it to collect $$$!

Comment

Or we could all go back to pretending everything is fine and then end up right back with no soccer at all when things worsen. Haven't we learned anything in the last three months????
                yes, either you can quarantine and stay remote for a year and let basically 95% of the population suffer long-term consequences or we can apply reasonable precautions knowing that outside congregate care settings that 99 plus % of the population will be fine AND we can get out of this situation.

I do get that this is a rather "objective" analysis and either way you go there is a downside. But at this point - and yes, I'd say wait until the stupid Memorial Day and protest cycle has gone through - you can have soccer done with some reasonable precautions.

Sure, more training instead of just jumping into tournaments and games is usually better anyway in youth soccer's overemphasize on "win/loss" games - but it's a fool's errand to pretend you can totally make it risk-free.

and the majority of suburban white families that dominate most of RI youth soccer - you're probably "okay' with remote learning, etc.. that's so far opposite from the urban kids that it's more criminal to continue on with that charade under the mantra of "making it safe for everyone." If you're going to have kids in schools, you can certainly have outdoor soccer games.

Test the kids, coaches, and refs - limit fans - hey it would be GREAT for youth soccer if clubs basically said to parents "you must STAY IN YOUR CAR" and schools said "only students and staff" -- god, kids would LOVE their clubs and schools if they enforced that rule..ditto for REFS!

But c'mon -- the only way out is through so pick your poison - but with the ability of the government to subsidize staying at home running out in 6 weeks..I'd say err on getting through faster than not..

Comment

NO HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER
                  NO CLUB SOCCER
                  NO TOWN SOCCER

WHY? because the leader has decided soccer, football, hockey, and basketball are contact sports. Don't sign up for club, town or pay for pre season soccer camps because there is NO fall season. The club owners are spreading false hope here and they know it to collect $$$!
                  This is not true. We are now in phase 3. Soccer teams can now scrimmage. Soon we will have games. If you’ve researched you’d know Soccer is not as high risk as football. They are able to have games in phase 4. That’s August. Football is another issue as they tackle. Soccer doesn’t. If needed we can avoid heading the ball.

Comment

This is not true. We are now in phase 3. Soccer teams can now scrimmage. Soon we will have games. If you’ve researched you’d know Soccer is not as high risk as football. They are able to have games in phase 4. That’s August. Football is another issue as they tackle. Soccer doesn’t. If needed we can avoid heading the ball.
                    Scrimmages? That is not permissable under Phase 3 guidelines for soccer.

Comment

Where are you seeing that?

Comment

You can scrimmage within your clubs stable group. The group size was increased from 15 to I believe 25.

Comment

The Governor said yes to scrimmages and practices last week every club and town are doing it now.

Comment

You can scrimmage within your clubs stable group. The group size was increased from 15 to I believe 25.
                            Yes. I think not everyone is staying up to date as things loosen. The soccer clubs need to do a better job listening to our Governor, adjusting and getting word out to their coaches and parents or everyone will make up their own rules. Surf has been scrimmaging for weeks and many towns.

Comment

The Governor said yes to scrimmages and practices last week every club and town are doing it now.
                              Scrimmaging the same group of kids will get old after a couple of weeks.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X