Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer Wire Article: This is Perfect (SUSA, EM, ALL NJ Clubs)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoccerWire recently received the following Letter to the Editor from a frustrated member of the U.S. youth soccer community, discussing the topic of aggressive recruiting tactics by some clubs.

Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and let us know what you think about the practice of player recruiting in local youth soccer communities. To share anonymous news tips or to submit your own letters, please email News@TheSoccerWire.com.

See below for the full Letter to the Editor from an anonymous SoccerWire reader with the title “Fed Up”:

I am speaking out concerning, what I feel, is a massive issue facing our soccer organizations, and most importantly, our youth soccer players. This year has set a new low in the mission to provide an environment where our kids can thrive and adults foster long-term participation in the sport that sees a large scale drop off by the age of 13. As a collective group, we are failing to properly serve the youth soccer community in the United States.

What I am referring to is the business of youth soccer, which has led to widespread THEFT of players from smaller, or perhaps just more ethical, responsible clubs. It infuriates me to know that certain organizations (despite what they preach) do not, in any way, put the player first. The purpose of team officials and leaders is to help our youth reach their potential on and off the field. Organizations should fulfill this extremely important obligation with the youth’s best interests in mind.

What I’ve seem and heard this year is a world full of promises that are likely to go unfulfilled. Players heads have been filled with idea that the path to their dreams is narrow, and can only be fulfilled in a certain color jersey. Worse, is there are many coaches and directors that do a great job, developing the right kind of player, that will actually push the overall game forward, and their players get fed the idea that it’s wrong, and these coaches are actually going to hurt the players chances of reaching their goals.

I, for one, am tired of watching clubs steal players from great coaches and organizations. I understand and agree certain players at the highest of levels should gravitate toward more competitive environments, if that is their desire. What I cannot sit by idly and watch is the mass player grabs that clubs are trying to pull off right now. We all know the reason for this; numbers. More numbers means better health of the business.

Clubs are not in this for the business, right? They are all Non-profits, right? They are all here to serve the kids, right? Unfortunately, not all, and just maybe, not many.

If I may, let me just remind everyone how the business side of this works….

Club A recruits and steals players from surrounding clubs.

Club A wins games, wins tournaments, wins State Cups.

Club A posts on their website and all forms of social media how successful they are. They market themselves as leaders in player development.

The result is that it attracts more players who might be a little better than average to go to Club A. So, the cycle is perpetuated. The moment someone better comes in, the lowest player on the totem pole gets pushed out. Why? Well, rather than commit to developing the player, they commit to the player that gives them the best chance to win. Let’s not forget, many of these player were developed elsewhere. In some cases, all of them were, yet the marketing message will still be “We are #1 in player development! We will get you your D1 scholarship!” I have heard it directly. It is pathetic.

As mentioned, I am (I think we all are) receptive to the idea of players (who are ready) moving to a more competitive opportunity. So, what does this better opportunity look like? If we are to believe what players are being told by coaches and clubs, it is that being on the second or third team is a better opportunity at their club than the top team at another. Could that be true? Perhaps, in some cases.

However, year after year, and this year being the worst by far, certain clubs need to again fill their rosters with new players from their rivals or neighboring small club. It begs the question; If what you are providing these kids is so extraordinary, why do you again and again need to steal from other clubs to fill your rosters? If you are so good at what you do, why are you not developing YOUR players?

If your system is so good, so proven, and the only path, it would seem to me that no one would be able to compete with your methods, or your players. I’m actually curious to know why your teams aren’t better. I’m curious to know why you continue to take players year after year at all age groups. Aside from the business aspect, could it be that that you are disproportionately contributing to the drop out numbers, because you don’t put the players first?

I do not have a solution to this issue, other than to at least try to ignite the discussion.

This is SUSA to a T!!!!

Comment

The way club soccer is run across the board is making me really wish sometimes we'd never gotten involved. So much dishonesty, lack of communication, egotism. The writer of the article points out the one side where clubs want to find new players.

Does he address the fact that many players are marginalized at their own clubs in favor of kids who have more money, more involved parents, etc? No one really has any idea what they're doing or how and the clubs all take advantage of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        The way club soccer is run across the board is making me really wish sometimes we'd never gotten involved. So much dishonesty, lack of communication, egotism. The writer of the article points out the one side where clubs want to find new players.

Does he address the fact that many players are marginalized at their own clubs in favor of kids who have more money, more involved parents, etc? No one really has any idea what they're doing or how and the clubs all take advantage of the situation.
        i dont agree. clubs don't marginalize players. certain players do that themselves.

As a coach i will always always favor the following characteristics: strong work ethic, humility, shows up for practice, always prepared, never complains, asks questions, out performs others in practice and games, never give up/never surrenders postion/fights till the end. most of the times the parents of the kids as described above for the most part never complain and/or question anything and are a pleasure to have on the sideline.

For the kids that just show up to practice and "go through the motions" most of the time the parents of these kids are the biggest babies and toxic on the sideline. yes, they will be marginalized.

Comment

i dont agree. clubs don't marginalize players. certain players do that themselves.

As a coach i will always always favor the following characteristics: strong work ethic, humility, shows up for practice, always prepared, never complains, asks questions, out performs others in practice and games, never give up/never surrenders postion/fights till the end. most of the times the parents of the kids as described above for the most part never complain and/or question anything and are a pleasure to have on the sideline.

For the kids that just show up to practice and "go through the motions" most of the time the parents of these kids are the biggest babies and toxic on the sideline. yes, they will be marginalized.
          Are you a coach of one of the shady clubs above?

Comment

I wrote this yesterday, when the same exact article was posted on a different thread in this exact forum...

You can't "steal" people who are paying for services, buying all the crap that comes with it and shuttling their kids to practices and games. If you have a solid program, a solid team and coaches that are committed to making that team as competitive and successful as possible, nobody will leave.

I have an older daughter in college and I think about the HBC 00/01 team. Top USYS team with an incredibly impressive list of college commitments. EM and Albertson did cartwheels, promised the sun, moon and stars to these girls to try and get them to come over either as individuals or as a team, stating at like U13. They refused. I think maybe in their senior year, after the 00s graduated, some of the 01s ended up in GDA at the behest of their colleges-but so many of the team had graduated already anyway.

So tired of the boo hoo-ing from clubs that just go through the motions, offer run of the mill level competition and experiences for kids and then cry foul when they leave for a different experience.

Comment

I wrote this yesterday, when the same exact article was posted on a different thread in this exact forum...

You can't "steal" people who are paying for services, buying all the crap that comes with it and shuttling their kids to practices and games. If you have a solid program, a solid team and coaches that are committed to making that team as competitive and successful as possible, nobody will leave.

I have an older daughter in college and I think about the HBC 00/01 team. Top USYS team with an incredibly impressive list of college commitments. EM and Albertson did cartwheels, promised the sun, moon and stars to these girls to try and get them to come over either as individuals or as a team, stating at like U13. They refused. I think maybe in their senior year, after the 00s graduated, some of the 01s ended up in GDA at the behest of their colleges-but so many of the team had graduated already anyway.

So tired of the boo hoo-ing from clubs that just go through the motions, offer run of the mill level competition and experiences for kids and then cry foul when they leave for a different experience.
              We know you did. This post has better delivery.

Comment

I think it depends on the club. Some clubs are more prone to allowing money to be a factor. We had kids who were probably better suited to the second team but our coach would get them playing time at the expense of other kids who were far better players, who showed up to everything and who never complained.

The main lesson we learned is that you have to do some self advocating because if you just take the situation as is, the club feels as though you're money is already in the bank and since you dont make any noise they dont have to think about you.

Comment

Hard to build a team or club when kids being poached at 9 and 10 years old.

Comment

Hard to build a team or club when kids being poached at 9 and 10 years old.
                    Players aren't poached. They leave for a reason. Granted, sometimes they're pulled out by parents who think the kid is better than they really are, but it's tough to stop that. But generally if you offer them a better product at a good value and they'll stay.

Comment

Players aren't poached. They leave for a reason. Granted, sometimes they're pulled out by parents who think the kid is better than they really are, but it's tough to stop that. But generally if you offer them a better product at a good value and they'll stay.
                      Sometimes the environment is such that a parent needs to go elsewhere to really understand where their child is in the spectrum of soccer development. YOu go from being the best in your town to some clubs with insane politics and you just have no way to really understand it.

Comment

Sometimes the environment is such that a parent needs to go elsewhere to really understand where their child is in the spectrum of soccer development. YOu go from being the best in your town to some clubs with insane politics and you just have no way to really understand it.
                        Town programs often have even more politics. It's one reason why families leave them.

Comment

Are you a coach of one of the shady clubs above?
                          i am not, but does it matter? any coach in any sport will favor the kids that i described.

Comment

Town programs often have even more politics. It's one reason why families leave them.
                            Yes and as you progress you find it only gets worse, especially as the gaps in most player ability narrows.

Comment

i am not, but does it matter? any coach in any sport will favor the kids that i described.
                              Completely not true. The politics in soccer, especially on LI have nothing to do with the characteristics you mention. It is a shame, but its true.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X