Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Stupid comment by someone who has no clue what they are talking about. Sounds like you have a “chip on your shoulder”. Demographic has nothing to do nor is there a correlation between ECNL and quality higher education. Plenty of student/athletes who have academic and financial scholarships to attend these great colleges. As far as ECNL Clubs can’t speak for them all but if there are players that are good enough to play ECNL and coaches/DOC’s want them at the club then clubs have been known to make it work for those families who cannot afford those fees.
    I certainly have a clue and have no chip. ECNL is chock full of players from families with the disposable income to afford it as it is very expensive There are very few exceptions to this and anyone denying that is the one that needs to get clued in. I do not think I have yet met a parent on my player's team that does not have a college education or more. it is possible there are a few but they would be an extreme minority. That is reality.

Comment

Exactly, and as I learned it happens more than you think. It’s definitely something and a good option for others to consider as well. Not only NESCAC schools but great D3 programs like John Hopkins, MIT, Univ of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Emory. All great colleges with highly competitive soccer programs. True student-athletes.
      "True student-athletes" is something someone with an inferiority complex would say...

Comment

"True student-athletes" is something someone with an inferiority complex would say...
        Glad you mentioned that. Not inferiority complex but rather experience. I have seen too many parents/players who attend camps/clinics at colleges and do not even tour the college campus and look at the school itself but rather go from the dorms to the field and the field house. Too many clueless parents who forget or don’t care that the word student comes before athlete. You have players who pay no attention to the college themself or the fact what the ratings or ranking of the college are when deciding to making a 4 year commitment. There decision to attend is primarily based on soccer not education.
        What happens more than you think when a player gets injured or does not play as many minutes as they thought they become very down on the college because they do not like the school or the student body other than her teammates. This usually leads to transferring to another college. The smart College coaches tells recruits before committing If they get injured and can n longer play soccer do you want to be at this school. There is your answer and some good advice. That’s experience!

Comment

Given that 99.9% of female soccer players will never make enough money playing soccer, once you get to college, a player should make sure that academics are on a higher priority level than soccer. Definitely use soccer to get to the best college situation that you can get to, but don't forget why you are at college.

Comment

Glad you mentioned that. Not inferiority complex but rather experience. I have seen too many parents/players who attend camps/clinics at colleges and do not even tour the college campus and look at the school itself but rather go from the dorms to the field and the field house. Too many clueless parents who forget or don’t care that the word student comes before athlete. You have players who pay no attention to the college themself or the fact what the ratings or ranking of the college are when deciding to making a 4 year commitment. There decision to attend is primarily based on soccer not education.
            What happens more than you think when a player gets injured or does not play as many minutes as they thought they become very down on the college because they do not like the school or the student body other than her teammates. This usually leads to transferring to another college. The smart College coaches tells recruits before committing If they get injured and can n longer play soccer do you want to be at this school. There is your answer and some good advice. That’s experience!
            Op of "inferiority complex"...also have experience. Oldest D had offers from low level D1 (think MAAC, NEC) and a bunch of D2. Ultimately opted for a NE D3 (not NESCAC), that offered a really strong program in her major. Middle D is also attending a school in NE and playing in D1 PL.
            I would NEVER categorize my oldest D as a "true student-athlete" over her younger sister. The 2 paths are completely different and offer very different experiences. I would never say one is better than the other, it all depends on the kid.
            On

Comment

Of course they do. Look at the demographic that can afford to pay ECNL. These are affluent kids from educated families. They are expected to take their college seriously and prepare for a career.
              Many families - of boys and girls - utilize soccer or other unique skills to get into better schools than they might not without something to make them stand out. Playing D1 and getting substantial money to do it isn't always the goal. Given soccer's skew towards more affluent families with parents who also had good educations and jobs, it's even more so than say with softball or basketball. There are many D1 schools that are top academic schools but also many are not. Meanwhile some D3s are at the top of any college ranking list - MIT, U Chicago etc where parents would be thrilled to have their kids attend. Some athletes are also more interested in the student part of "student athlete"

Comment

NESCAC schools don't offer merit money, so ....?

Comment

NESCAC schools don't offer merit money, so ....?
                  Ah.. there's a lot of D3 schools that do, most do. D1 and D2 also. Pretty much NESCACA and Ivies are th only ones that don't.

Comment

Ah.. there's a lot of D3 schools that do, most do. D1 and D2 also. Pretty much NESCACA and Ivies are th only ones that don't.
                    Yeah, they say they don't...

Comment

I am hearing from some friends in CT that the GA league won't even start up until the spring 2021? Anyone else hearing the same thing about the start date? Any questions I've asked the club about it have been met with vague responses.

Comment

I am hearing from some friends in CT that the GA league won't even start up until the spring 2021? Anyone else hearing the same thing about the start date? Any questions I've asked the club about it have been met with vague responses.
                        Maybe that's their solution to HS soccer (although not in the South).

Comment

In the June 26th press release about the new commissioner, they said that the league kicks off in August.

Comment

In the June 26th press release about the new commissioner, they said that the league kicks off in August.
                            Uh Oh, the link with the information on the new commissioner has been disconnected already. Trouble

Comment

Uh Oh, the link with the information on the new commissioner has been disconnected already. Trouble
                              Not that I don't trust you, but I had to see for myself. Wow! That's pretty bad. Even if it's not because of things falling apart, it's pretty sloppy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X