Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Would it change the way to get into the academy? Would tryouts still be a thing?
    My experience is that there arent really "tryouts" for NYCFC. They spotted my son at one of his games, contacted his coach, who contacted us. We were invited to a couple training sessions with an older side and a couple of other on age boys. Eventually they offered a spot.

I know some of the kids went to ID clinics. That wasnt the route we took.

Comment

My experience is that there arent really "tryouts" for NYCFC. They spotted my son at one of his games, contacted his coach, who contacted us. We were invited to a couple training sessions with an older side and a couple of other on age boys. Eventually they offered a spot.

I know some of the kids went to ID clinics. That wasnt the route we took.
      Even MLS academies are about to change if this virus wipes out the season. You won’t see these funded teams at U12. It was a joke anyway since what is the % of those kids that make a homegrown and/or get sold for a real sum to a European club. Scally is as elite as they come and he might fetch 7m if everything works out. Good luck to MLS academies.

Comment

Correct. The reality is there should not be “elite” leagues or academies at anything below u15 anyway. There’s almost no way to know what you are working with until HS ages.

Comment

You guys are nuts. The MLS academies should start as early as possible. There is no reason the best kids shouldnt be playing together for free and receiving the best training.

Of course, I dont want to hear you bitch and complain when little Jose gets cut at 14 for bigger and better Pedro.

Comment

You guys are nuts. The MLS academies should start as early as possible. There is no reason the best kids shouldnt be playing together for free and receiving the best training.

Of course, I dont want to hear you bitch and complain when little Jose gets cut at 14 for bigger and better Pedro.
            Apparently there is a reason cause those MLS clubs are not doing that.

Comment

Not doing what?

Comment

well since the only US players that are getting huge transfer fees (pulisic) and/or will get them in the future (gio reyna) went AROUND the homegrown MLS system and bailed early because the environment wasn't good enough here...so let's just see if the new u15 rules translate into a European club paying $25M+ for a homegrown player in a couple years...then it might be worth it. NYCFC was operating at a loss last year until the Scally money came in. So let's hope at a minimum you sell a player a year like that otherwise CFG is running NYCFC at a loss. Oh and NYCFC is one of the best academies at every age group in this country, so I wouldn't hold out hope that the future is bright for monetizing US players who started here at U12. So no...I don't think the same structure should exist here as it does in Europe.

Comment

People really don’t know the scouting in the US. The pay to play is somewhat true, but u never know when u are getting scouted.

Comment

well since the only US players that are getting huge transfer fees (pulisic) and/or will get them in the future (gio reyna) went AROUND the homegrown MLS system and bailed early because the environment wasn't good enough here...so let's just see if the new u15 rules translate into a European club paying $25M+ for a homegrown player in a couple years...then it might be worth it. NYCFC was operating at a loss last year until the Scally money came in. So let's hope at a minimum you sell a player a year like that otherwise CFG is running NYCFC at a loss. Oh and NYCFC is one of the best academies at every age group in this country, so I wouldn't hold out hope that the future is bright for monetizing US players who started here at U12. So no...I don't think the same structure should exist here as it does in Europe.
                    I’m not sure I understand your point. My son is receiving excellent training, playing with talented mates, traveling, gear, medical all free. What more could I desire? He could get cut and he knows it, which, I think, motivates him every day.

The benefit to NYCFC is the home grown designation if he goes to college and is good enough to be drafted. I consider that a first world problem.

Of course I might have missed your point.

Comment

I’m not sure I understand your point. My son is receiving excellent training, playing with talented mates, traveling, gear, medical all free. What more could I desire? He could get cut and he knows it, which, I think, motivates him every day.

The benefit to NYCFC is the home grown designation if he goes to college and is good enough to be drafted. I consider that a first world problem.

Of course I might have missed your point.
                      Yes you missed the point

Comment

Yes you missed the point
                        Your point was asinine...even you must admit that. The DA proved to be a poor developmental exercise, so they are now trying to aggregate power in the hands of those who know the most. That seems to be a superior plan, unless of course youd like to posit one.

Comment

Your point was asinine...even you must admit that. The DA proved to be a poor developmental exercise, so they are now trying to aggregate power in the hands of those who know the most. That seems to be a superior plan, unless of course youd like to posit one.
                          Wait...what? We've heard all the bad things about DA (no HS, the subbing rules, the travel, USSF being a total mess), all wiped away...and yet you still whine?

Comment

Wait...what? We've heard all the bad things about DA (no HS, the subbing rules, the travel, USSF being a total mess), all wiped away...and yet you still whine?
                            Has anyone heard from NYCFC on plans for the fall yet?

Comment

Has anyone heard from NYCFC on plans for the fall yet?
                              Yes, they are folding, the Arab congom is tired of losing money in America....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X