Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for 02 Juniors (girls)

There is a player on my D's club team (U18/19 Composite) who was born in late 2002, so she is a high school junior now. Everyone else on the team is a senior, and it appears that the club will not be sending their team to any showcases in the spring. This really sucks for the junior as this is a prime year for college recruiting. What are the options for players like this? I'm sure there are plenty of kids stuck in this situation.

Take her the college id events at the colleges she is targeting. Those are attended as an individual player, not as a team. They will cost money.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Take her the college id events at the colleges she is targeting. Those are attended as an individual player, not as a team. They will cost money.
      Yes, ID clinics at her target colleges are important and she will go. But will coaches even consider a player whom they have not seen in a real game?

Comment

Who knows? This college soccer recruiting game seems really screwed up. They seen to like these wealthy players from the super expensive leagues. Maybe they figure they can give them crappy offers and they will be able to afford the difference?

Anyway. I would think if If she can help them win games and she shows it, they will want her. Good luck to her

Comment

Yes, ID clinics at her target colleges are important and she will go. But will coaches even consider a player whom they have not seen in a real game?
          Does she have any league games near the college? If she is very serious about the school, invite the coach to the league game.

Comment

Late 02s and 03s really got caught with all the recruiting changes. A kid like this one was always going to have to work harder anyway because of fewer showcase opportunities.
            Thank USSF for that f-up.

Above advice is good - get to ID events asap, invite coaches to league games if that's possible. the only way to make it happen is act quickly. Top spots for the junior class are already getting locked but there's still opportunities for mid to lower level D1 programs and certainly D3s.

Comment

Thanks for the ID clinic and league-game suggestions!

Some people I've posed the question to have also recommended the following to do in conjunction with the ID clinics that I thought I would share here:

- Before going to a clinic, send highlight video and a soccer resume to the college coach. Also have club coach reach out to the college coach. This way, coach might be encouraged to pay particular attention to you at the clinic.

- See if you can be a guest player at another club nearby that is sending teams to spring showcases. If your club isn't going to any spring showcases, they should have no problem for you asking to be allowed to play for another club at these events.

- Many showcases have "guest player" lists that attending teams can pick up players to join them. Pick a few tournaments and get on these lists.

Comment

Thanks for the ID clinic and league-game suggestions!

Some people I've posed the question to have also recommended the following to do in conjunction with the ID clinics that I thought I would share here:

- Before going to a clinic, send highlight video and a soccer resume to the college coach. Also have club coach reach out to the college coach. This way, coach might be encouraged to pay particular attention to you at the clinic.

- See if you can be a guest player at another club nearby that is sending teams to spring showcases. If your club isn't going to any spring showcases, they should have no problem for you asking to be allowed to play for another club at these events.

- Many showcases have "guest player" lists that attending teams can pick up players to join them. Pick a few tournaments and get on these lists.
                Make sure you sit your daughter, and ask her, is this really what you want to do?? Her answer might surprise you....

Comment

Make sure you sit your daughter, and ask her, is this really what you want to do?? Her answer might surprise you....
                  She says she wants to play college soccer and is very upset that her team isn’t going to any spring showcases. Her answer didn’t surprise given how much she appears to love the game. If she doesn’t do these things being suggested, what are the other options? This is why I asked the question.

Comment

She says she wants to play college soccer and is very upset that her team isn’t going to any spring showcases. Her answer didn’t surprise given how much she appears to love the game. If she doesn’t do these things being suggested, what are the other options? This is why I asked the question.
                    She cannot get recruited without getting in front of coaches. If your funds are limited for ID events she needs to focus her list to her very top academic choices where she also has a reasonable chance of playing. How do you determine that? Once she has a list of her academic picks, start looking at program rosters for each school. Where did players come from? Do they have similar resumes to hers? If the roster is filled with NT players and she isn't, scratch it off the list. Who are the starters/impact players? Who is playing a ton vs who is sitting? How big is the roster? (some are absurdly large). Watch games online or in person if possible - does the level of play seem attainable for her?

Once she has a good list of programs, email all of them with credentials and videos. See when their ID events are coming up. See if they can come watch local games (if school is local). Have your club make phone calls to gauge genuine interest and focus on the best prospects. This needs to happen now. The clock is ticking and most programs will ramp up their ID events once their seasons are over

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X