Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are you referring to the womens national team that got beat 5-2 by 13 and 14 year old boys DA players? That 'team' with that superior 'team' method?
    Seriously when you think of USA Soccer you think of the Womens Team!

Comment

A Mess

At one time being on the inside and seeing how it works it is just the good ole boy system just like everything else, who you know and who you blow. When the US Scouts (Friends of coaches) come and ask they give them the names of the kids the coaches give the names of the ones they want to see make it not necessarily who would be the best team player 3,4, 5 years from then.

This starts at the U13 level and don't deny it because we see the same kids year after year hoping something will change but they never look back and take a look at the other kids that were not originally picked just the same kids year after year.

That is why women's soccer towers over the men's they have built the best "Team" not based on 'individuals". Not saying it doesn't happen there either but the quality of players are more based on a team concept.

So keep picking the same kids and we will keep losing or breaking records for other teams such as Canada. GO USA!
      I agree that the system appears to not give a legitimate look for good players playing at a certain point - and that the system picks the same kids year after year and wonder why there is no improvement. It also seems that often times, especially at the youth levels, coaches mistake size, speeds and sometimes ethnic background for the quality of the player. This selection process than feeds off its own process year after year and snowballs eventually into the product you have today on the field. Finally, when a coach wants the MNT to play quality soccer, there are critics saying that the team should play to their strengths and not try to play like the best countries in the world - why? Because the players on the team after this selection process lack the skill to execute like the others - they may be fast, may be big, may be strong - but they are not total well-rounded players because they were never selected based on that criteria.

I realize this has been covered too much on this gossip site - yet, I will again: it is likely Messi, Neymar, and heck, midget Maradona may never have been selected to play at a high level solely because of their lack of size. It’s difficult to know because many of the good coaches I know look to the player and their skills yet I see others put their head in the sand to pick a body over a player.

The system appears to be broken - and the changes happening now in youth soccer, at least in this State, are breaking it further. Too many crap leagues, too many diluted programs, too many coaches looking past fundamental skills in favor of players who can run fast, hit hard and look intimidating on the field because of their size - and too many damn parents who want to say their kid is on the first team and traveling all over to play far away competition - to escape the reality that their kid just simply may not be good enough. But with that diluted schedule, leagues and teams comes the inability to judge talent in any qualitative way, meaning it is even more difficult for the US to scout good players who may have real potential and the Academies aren’t even seeing some of those kids. It is a mess.

Comment

I agree that the system appears to not give a legitimate look for good players playing at a certain point - and that the system picks the same kids year after year and wonder why there is no improvement. It also seems that often times, especially at the youth levels, coaches mistake size, speeds and sometimes ethnic background for the quality of the player. This selection process than feeds off its own process year after year and snowballs eventually into the product you have today on the field. Finally, when a coach wants the MNT to play quality soccer, there are critics saying that the team should play to their strengths and not try to play like the best countries in the world - why? Because the players on the team after this selection process lack the skill to execute like the others - they may be fast, may be big, may be strong - but they are not total well-rounded players because they were never selected based on that criteria.

I realize this has been covered too much on this gossip site - yet, I will again: it is likely Messi, Neymar, and heck, midget Maradona may never have been selected to play at a high level solely because of their lack of size. It’s difficult to know because many of the good coaches I know look to the player and their skills yet I see others put their head in the sand to pick a body over a player.

The system appears to be broken - and the changes happening now in youth soccer, at least in this State, are breaking it further. Too many crap leagues, too many diluted programs, too many coaches looking past fundamental skills in favor of players who can run fast, hit hard and look intimidating on the field because of their size - and too many damn parents who want to say their kid is on the first team and traveling all over to play far away competition - to escape the reality that their kid just simply may not be good enough. But with that diluted schedule, leagues and teams comes the inability to judge talent in any qualitative way, meaning it is even more difficult for the US to scout good players who may have real potential and the Academies aren’t even seeing some of those kids. It is a mess.

If Messi, Neymar or Maradonna grew up here they would have never been picked. Too small and skinny and yet seems other countries have their formula right see who fits in and what they bring to a team not just size. In USA we look for the 6.5 players and those with big bodies thinking this is American Football. So am happy with the results from the USA, just puts more smiles on other countries to be like "they will never get it right".

And that starts from DA and MLS DA. Been to games where they have huge players and not even one small player on the team, but makes sense thats what they go after year after year. The bigger you are, your starting. Yet those that have the mental IQ and Play as a team, are left out.

So in a way feels good the failure because all of us sit back and we can talk about it how they never get it right and continue the same mess.

Comment

If Messi, Neymar or Maradonna grew up here they would have never been picked. Too small and skinny and yet seems other countries have their formula right see who fits in and what they bring to a team not just size. In USA we look for the 6.5 players and those with big bodies thinking this is American Football. So am happy with the results from the USA, just puts more smiles on other countries to be like "they will never get it right".

And that starts from DA and MLS DA. Been to games where they have huge players and not even one small player on the team, but makes sense thats what they go after year after year. The bigger you are, your starting. Yet those that have the mental IQ and Play as a team, are left out.

So in a way feels good the failure because all of us sit back and we can talk about it how they never get it right and continue the same mess.
          Other countries pick based on skills. Nothing to do with size speed or background. Technical skills and soccer IQ!

Comment

Vs. Canada was the proof

I've only watched the first half so far. About to watch the second half. But you can clearly see the players in this game look like total crap. They seem to be completely unaware of where the players around them are. Poor touch, poor dribbles, poor decisions, poor passing, etc...

A few games ago (one of the other times Sargent started) I saw him miss a five foot pass. The kind of pass a U9 player could make. As easy as it comes and the dude fluffed the pass. Pulisic just seems like that kid that puts his head down and dribbles right at whoever. Doesn't seem to know what to do unless he is in the final third. I shouldn't knock him perhaps just a bad game.

But week in and week out this team struggles to beat small nations. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best soccer players aren't being picked for training. Pulisic has a ton of speed and has earned everything he has gotten. But the others I'm not so sure. Maybe they just won the lottery. But I'm like man we HAVE to have better players than this.

I swear I've seen 2007 players that have better touch than these guys. That is what I don't get. HOW are these guys pros let alone the best to represent our nation?

Comment

I've only watched the first half so far. About to watch the second half. But you can clearly see the players in this game look like total crap. They seem to be completely unaware of where the players around them are. Poor touch, poor dribbles, poor decisions, poor passing, etc...

A few games ago (one of the other times Sargent started) I saw him miss a five foot pass. The kind of pass a U9 player could make. As easy as it comes and the dude fluffed the pass. Pulisic just seems like that kid that puts his head down and dribbles right at whoever. Doesn't seem to know what to do unless he is in the final third. I shouldn't knock him perhaps just a bad game.

But week in and week out this team struggles to beat small nations. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best soccer players aren't being picked for training. Pulisic has a ton of speed and has earned everything he has gotten. But the others I'm not so sure. Maybe they just won the lottery. But I'm like man we HAVE to have better players than this.

I swear I've seen 2007 players that have better touch than these guys. That is what I don't get. HOW are these guys pros let alone the best to represent our nation?
              But you just nailed the problem - they purport to represent our "nation" but our "nation" has nothing to do with USSF. USSF is just a private not for profit that exists to funnel money to the people who run it. I would LOVE to see an alternative organization pop up and challenge USSF for the right to field the "national" team - it would be a bloodbath because USSF can't select talent or train it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X