Experiences with private / boarding schools & high level club soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We bought our daughter's club and moved it into the complex we built on our family estate. Now we don't have to worry about traffic anymore. Her private tutor lives in our guest house so she sees her during the day and trains in the evening once everyone else gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We bought our daughter's club and moved it into the complex we built on our family estate. Now we don't have to worry about traffic anymore. Her private tutor lives in our guest house so she sees her during the day and trains in the evening once everyone else gets there.
      I hear GPS is for sale real cheap

Comment

Aw, did mom almost miss a spin class?
        Three hours of driving a day, plus managing two other kids and their schedules. Too much. If the OP can afford a driver then have at it, I guess? It still is a lot of time in the car + practice time. Prep workload is pretty intense if you're at a quality school.

Comment

But serious question. If a kid gives up club and only plays school, are they giving up any opportunity to play in college?

Comment

Short answer yes.

Comment

But serious question. If a kid gives up club and only plays school, are they giving up any opportunity to play in college?
              Maybe not on the top two TSAO or ISL schools but everywhere else. Yes. The biggest problem is that the soccer just isn’t good enough to showcase your skills and you are playing against some very very bad teams.

Comment

It depends on where she hopes to play, IMO. If she's seeking a scholarship to a D1 school or a spot on an Ivy roster, etc., I think she needs to play club. Any school recruiting her would consider it odd that she's not playing club, and would probably question her commitment to the game. Plus, they'd want the chance to see her play in the spring / summer when they're watching everyone else. They are NOT going to recruit her based on what she does playing private school soccer.

However, if the goal is more D3 level, she can focus on her academics and may be able to use her elite prep school status to get admitted (as a regular student - no tips or athletic advantage). She can then pursue a spot on the team as a "walk-on." If she's a solid player, she might have a fun college career playing at that level even though she dropped out of club soccer. Note: I think that this type of path is pretty risky if she's really gung-ho about soccer and wants to be the best player she can be. It depends on where soccer ranks among her (and your) priorities, her legitimate talent level, where she wants to go to school, and how much you're all willing to sacrifice for the game.

Comment

Short answer yes.
                  Probs, not always. Might get recruited at lower level programs by attending ID events. College coaches want serious soccer players, which means you should be playing all year. Question is, is playing college realistic? Is it really desired, as in willing to sacrifice for it vs yeah, that's be nice? Be honest about both to help make a decision.

Comment

It depends on where she hopes to play, IMO. If she's seeking a scholarship to a D1 school or a spot on an Ivy roster, etc., I think she needs to play club. Any school recruiting her would consider it odd that she's not playing club, and would probably question her commitment to the game. Plus, they'd want the chance to see her play in the spring / summer when they're watching everyone else. They are NOT going to recruit her based on what she does playing private school soccer.

However, if the goal is more D3 level, she can focus on her academics and may be able to use her elite prep school status to get admitted (as a regular student - no tips or athletic advantage). She can then pursue a spot on the team as a "walk-on." If she's a solid player, she might have a fun college career playing at that level even though she dropped out of club soccer. Note: I think that this type of path is pretty risky if she's really gung-ho about soccer and wants to be the best player she can be. It depends on where soccer ranks among her (and your) priorities, her legitimate talent level, where she wants to go to school, and how much you're all willing to sacrifice for the game.
                    This whole thread yet another in a long line of BTNT games and fictions.

Comment

Could definitely do D3 as long as academics are in order.

Comment

If the OP is seriously letting club soccer location determine which schools his child will attend, he/she is stupid AF. In what world is club soccer more important than education? If you are lucky enough to have a choice then make the choice that is right academically for your child then figure out your sports world from there. Wow.

Comment

This whole thread yet another in a long line of BTNT games and fictions.
                          a) not BTNT. Frankly, I'm insulted and hurt that you would accuse me of being him. I've spent WAAAYYY too many keystrokes attacking that a-hole over the years.

b) if there is something in my post that is inaccurate, please correct me.

Thanks.

Comment

Doesn't boarding school cost like 40, 50 even 60k? Why would you pay this good money and then pull your kid 3 or 4 nights a week for practices and weekends for games? You are paying 100% but only letting your kid enjoy the overall experience like 50%. If your club is that important to you, then stay in the public schools. If academics are that important to you then go boarding and just play on the school teams, not club. If you can afford boarding school, you can afford college, why push your kid to to the brink?

Comment

Doesn't boarding school cost like 40, 50 even 60k? Why would you pay this good money and then pull your kid 3 or 4 nights a week for practices and weekends for games? You are paying 100% but only letting your kid enjoy the overall experience like 50%. If your club is that important to you, then stay in the public schools. If academics are that important to you then go boarding and just play on the school teams, not club. If you can afford boarding school, you can afford college, why push your kid to to the brink?
                              You don't necessarily have to give up on club, but I certainly wouldn't stick with one that's far away or requires military level logistics to get them to and from practices. Getting to and from games can be problematic as well, especially in the higher level leagues that have a lot of weekend travel - drive 1.5 hours to get your kid from school, drive 2.5 hours for the game, then reverse it. Oh, and many schools have Saturday morning classes. You are 100% right that 100% effort should be put towards academics and getting the most out of that part of prep school. Otherwise why are you doing it?

The other option is there certainly are many good private day schools that offer excellent academics, living at home and keeping other facets of life pretty much the same. The thread op might want to explore that instead

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X