Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with private / boarding schools & high level club soccer

We currently travel about 1.5 hrs each way for my daughter's club soccer team. It's a high level team that will give her good exposure in high school to college coaches. She obviously wants to stay with her club team for high school but has now also expressed interest in going to a local private school or boarding school. We would only look at boarding schools within a 30 minute drive to her club team so that we can get her a driver to take her to and from practices and home games. Does anyone else do this or have experience with work load, intense practice schedules, balancing social and academic and soccer, etc?

Country club problems

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We currently travel about 1.5 hrs each way for my daughter's club soccer team. It's a high level team that will give her good exposure in high school to college coaches. She obviously wants to stay with her club team for high school but has now also expressed interest in going to a local private school or boarding school. We would only look at boarding schools within a 30 minute drive to her club team so that we can get her a driver to take her to and from practices and home games. Does anyone else do this or have experience with work load, intense practice schedules, balancing social and academic and soccer, etc?
      First world problems for a kid born on 3rd base.

Comment

There are several kids on my daughter's school team who have done this.

Firstly, how high level are you talking because the parents seem to indicate that there is a big difference between the NPL travel and the ECNL or DA travel. I was surprised because I thought travel was pretty intense on any of those teams. They have made comments like "ohhh, no, she plays NPL, she wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise." I think kids miss a lot of their club soccer TBH. I think some get lucky and their club coaches are ok with it. I

Some things to think about:
        our school has a three-sport requirement that means that the club players have to double practice winter and spring. that seems hard to me.

do the schools you are looking at have saturday classes or saturday games? another factor to consider.

talk to as many people at the school as possible and ask to talk to other kids who have actually done that.

how academically intense are the schools you are looking at? there is a pretty wide range in MA. we went to a town event and parents of a local private school were saying how intense highschool was with 2 hours of homework a night. I almost laughed in their faces. kids at our school are staying up LATE to get homework done and the teachers grade as if the kids were in graduate school. That is why I think the club players are a bit crazy but I guess they have survived because a few are seniors.

like I said, talking to parents on my kid's team makes this sound hard.

Comment

P.S.
          Sorry about the jerks. Hopefully some people with actual experience will weigh in.

Comment

Whether legit or just trolling, you lost me at "get her a driver."

Comment

Whether legit or just trolling, you lost me at "get her a driver."
              Same. Affording boarding school, a driver and club soccer?

Comment

There will be other kids at the private school who will be playing club soccer also. Find them and get a ride or split rides.

Kids at Andover, Choate, Taft, etc all play club soccer. Check in with the coach.

Comment

Sounds like she got all the brains
                  There is not a parent in the world who would put club soccer location as a priority over school choice
                  I think i smell a rat in the house

Comment

Sounds like she got all the brains
                    There is not a parent in the world who would put club soccer location as a priority over school choice
                    I think i smell a rat in the house
                    Precisely. Pick the school and then find the club team. How did you get so rich and can't solve this problem? This is not a serious or complex problem

Comment

With all that money, why bother? Just pay to get her into whatever college she wants to go to and be done with it.

Comment

Good friend of my son's tried the boarding + soccer route. The logistics of staying on his old team nearly killed the mom who did all the driving. Keeping up with classwork was beyond challenging. They ended up moving clubs to something much closer. The soccer wasn't as good but the academics were far more important. Why spend all that money for the education if you put it at risk?

Comment

For some boarding schools, there's Black Rock. Not sure if they have a girls side.

Comment

Good friend of my son's tried the boarding + soccer route. The logistics of staying on his old team nearly killed the mom who did all the driving. Keeping up with classwork was beyond challenging. They ended up moving clubs to something much closer. The soccer wasn't as good but the academics were far more important. Why spend all that money for the education if you put it at risk?
                            Aw, did mom almost miss a spin class?

Comment

We find our helicopter helps get around traffic. You might want to check where the closest helipad is to the schools and clubs you are looking at.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X