Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

What exactly is the problem with Seattle United moving around kids and coaches leaving if it means more money for them?
    Means more for them. Them = Seattle United

Comment

I'd argue that if you "speak up" about absolute rubbish (i.e. my kid is the best kid on the team and should be played all the time) when it's not true then, yes, you may be lit up. We'd all do ourselves a huge debt of gratitude if we stepped back and looked at the team as a whole, effort at training, effort at games, in addition to raw talent and realistically gauged where our kid "fits" in the pecking order. As a long-time coach, sometimes board member, and parent of three club soccer players, I know how hard that can be but I also know how exceedingly frustrating it can be for the club/coach to have to listen to how good a parent's player is and how dumb we are for not playing them more. At the end of the day this is a game. I'd advise that you ensure your kid is actually having fun above all else. If they're not, they're not going to succeed. If you're planting rubbish in their brain (i.e. telling them they're the best on the team and everyone is nuts for not playing them) they're going to be disappointed and unhappy. If, in contrast, you help them by encouraging them in practice, taking them to pickup sessions with their coach and fellow players, encourage them (DON'T REQUIRE THEM) to go to extra training and actually be involved with their team and fellow players they may (gasp!) actually enjoy training and pushing themselves and become the player you want them to be. Sorry for the long post. ……..
      Poor club and coach. Such victims!

Pick up games? When has SU organized pick up games that weren’t parent led? They can’t/won’t even provide a field!

And when you “speak up” your bullied into believing that parents are the problem, not the fact that the coach is making a living off said problem.

It’s idiots like you, professing to be a “long time coach”, trolling message boards touting that the coaches have it figured out if it weren’t for the dumb parents that are the problem. Take a step back and think about whether you are the problem.

Comment

Pick up games? When has SU organized pick up games that weren’t parent led? They can’t/won’t even provide a field!

And when you “speak up” your bullied into believing that parents are the problem, not the fact that the coach is making a living off said problem.

It’s idiots like you, professing to be a “long time coach”, trolling message boards touting that the coaches have it figured out if it weren’t for the dumb parents that are the problem. Take a step back and think about whether you are the problem.
        This is true, after being a soccer parent for 5 years, the one time I spoke up and politely asked about tryouts results, I was told coaches talk and we (the coaches) know where the kids should be even before tryouts occur. The coach then proceeded to bench my child for the start of the next 6 games. Other parents asked me why, I could only shrug. This is after the information meeting where the coach said 10 times, "my door is open, please talk to me whenever you have concerns.

Another parent on the same team asked about their child's practice, that child, who is easily the second or third best on the team has been moved from a starting midfielder to coming off the bench as a defender ever since, about 6 months and has had their priviledge of practicing with the A team taken away.

Speak up at risk of having your kid punished and retaliated against while also being labeled a problem parent until your child moves on from that coach.

No need to name the coach, but this is common practice with some. The club is one of the biggest three.

You have no recourse. If you move your kid, you may end up with another coach with the same traits at your new club.

Basically keep your mouth shut and swallow.

Comment

Sorry to tell you this but this happens at every club, esp. if your kid is a bubble player. Find. Team where your kid is an impact player and this won’t happen.

Comment

Sorry to tell you this but this happens at every club, esp. if your kid is a bubble player. Find. Team where your kid is an impact player and this won’t happen.
            Not always true. I have multiple kids who have played soccer for the past decade. There is favoritism. I can't say more because I don't want to be identified and I have kids still playing, but I've seen kids disparaged and demeaned at one club be "impact players" on higher level teams elsewhere. Youth Sports, like everything else in life, is not a pure meritocracy.

Comment

Not always true. I have multiple kids who have played soccer for the past decade. There is favoritism. I can't say more because I don't want to be identified and I have kids still playing, but I've seen kids disparaged and demeaned at one club be "impact players" on higher level teams elsewhere. Youth Sports, like everything else in life, is not a pure meritocracy.
              Rules for parents at the Big 3.

Never promote your own kid
              Never talk about or name other kids when talking to the coach
              Never compare your player to other kids (my ______ is just as good as so and so)
              Never suggest anything to the coach
              Only ask what your player needs to focus on (then go get it outside the club)
              Never talk about the score
              Need ask for anything. Practices, playing up, etc unless your player is doing the outside work
              and is the top 3-6 player on the team.
              Never suggest the clubs style of play is the reason for the season injuries
              Never drink wine and send a ranting email to the clubs DOC
              If your not on the board, don't expect to be able to ask for anything
              if your not a major donor, don't expect to be able to ask for anything
              Remember its easier to move up if you leave without bridge burning, and return a better player

If you are on a select team and make EPD, you may be getting sandbagged. If you can make a higher level team at one of the other Big 3, you may be getting sandbagged. If you don't get what you need, tryout at another club. Be sure you are in contact with that other club and guest practicing with that other team about 2-3 months before tryouts. Don't burn bridges, don't explain why you are leaving, don't make a scene. Just leave, thank the coach for their time and go. Getting more touches without pressure at a smaller club, then returning will usually put your player at an advantage over those that stay (when moving from sect to premiere, RCL to ECNL, etc)

Comment

Actually, you proved my point. You found the right team for your kid. Thin skinned parents should reconsider their kids playing competitive sports if they can’t accept that this is the way it is, not how it should be. As for favoritism, this will never go away.

Comment

Actually, you proved my point. You found the right team for your kid. Thin skinned parents should reconsider their kids playing competitive sports if they can’t accept that this is the way it is, not how it should be. As for favoritism, this will never go away.
                  It still sucks though. So many great players are discouraged and hounded out of the sport by bad coaches. One of my kids changed sports after a negative experience. There is favoritism in life, but we have found that different sports have different cultures, and soccer can be particularly nasty. At the same time, I've seen soccer people rally around someone who needs help. A lot of it depends on the culture created by the club, coach and a particular group of parents. So yes, if your kid is being treated badly, don't be afraid to move on.

Comment

It still sucks though. So many great players are discouraged and hounded out of the sport by bad coaches. One of my kids changed sports after a negative experience. There is favoritism in life, but we have found that different sports have different cultures, and soccer can be particularly nasty. At the same time, I've seen soccer people rally around someone who needs help. A lot of it depends on the culture created by the club, coach and a particular group of parents. So yes, if your kid is being treated badly, don't be afraid to move on.
                    But where do you live on to? The idea that Federal Way Or Snohomish can have RCL teams, but Seattle is only big enough for one RCL team? How does that make sense?

Comment

But where do you live on to? The idea that Federal Way Or Snohomish can have RCL teams, but Seattle is only big enough for one RCL team? How does that make sense?
                      I don't understand your comment

Comment

I believe you meant "big enough for one RCL club" not "team".
                        It doesn't make sense but it is a territorial thing. XYZ club has this territory. Yeah doesn't make sense, but maybe this is the norm throughout the nation.

Comment

Who said the club needs to set up god damned pickup games!?! They're PICKUP games! Set 'em up yourself with your kid and their friends! Do you folks honestly rely on the club for everything!?! Take some initiative and get out and play! That's where the most progression occurs anyway (when done in concert with regimined training). Ripping on a guy for simply asserting many soccer parents are, many times, a bit diluted! Are you kidding?

Comment

Reading these boards it's awfully hard not to get the impression a lot of this is simply the parents wanting their kid to be the star on a team. Any team. If they're not at this club we'll go to this club. If they're not at that club we'll got to that club. If they're not the star then, unquestionably, there's something wrong with the Coach, club, or board (or all three).

Comment

Reading these boards it's awfully hard not to get the impression a lot of this is simply the parents wanting their kid to be the star on a team. Any team. If they're not at this club we'll go to this club. If they're not at that club we'll got to that club. If they're not the star then, unquestionably, there's something wrong with the Coach, club, or board (or all three).
                              Absolutely true. Parents are 99% of the problem. When they don’t get what they want they post on anonymous soccer forums disparaging the club they jumped from and praising the club they jumped to. A season later, they repeat the cycle and slam the new club when they jump again failing to recognize they are the problem!

Comment

Absolutely true. Parents are 99% of the problem. When they don’t get what they want they post on anonymous soccer forums disparaging the club they jumped from and praising the club they jumped to. A season later, they repeat the cycle and slam the new club when they jump again failing to recognize they are the problem!
                                Right... None of these accusations exist, the coaches and clubs are elite, only have our kids best interest at heart, and the parents are the problem and need to STFU.

Sounds like you will be happy when parents start shunning soccer. Remind me where you will work and who will pay you $80/hour for private training.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X