Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Specifically heard that it might not be possible to play Division 1 soccer and study something like exercise science with the goal of eventually becoming a physical therapist. Any actual knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
I heard that many coaches try to steer engineering majors to another major because of complexity of it and the labs (time missed or rescheduled practices around). Heard this from a former Stanford coach (who actually won a Nat'l championship).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I heard that many coaches try to steer engineering majors to another major because of complexity of it and the labs (time missed or rescheduled practices around). Heard this from a former Stanford coach (who actually won a Nat'l championship).
On this major, I also heard that some kids have to take classes all summer to make up for what was missed during the season. Not many kids want to go to school year around without a break.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Also, there are some schools that don't have all the majors that may interest your child. So, your kid may like the school, the program, the coach, but doesn't want to settle as far as educational goals.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Would you please stop with your assault on D1 athletes? Enough already. There is nothing that stops a D1 athlete from studying what they want, they just have to want it enough. Not really all that different than the people who work a full time job and go to school in the evening. You have to be super motivated and willing to sacrifice. What do you think, everyone should just get what they want without having to work for it?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My daughter stopped playing in Div 3 after her sophomore year due to her major. She is required to clinicals on top of her class schedule. Made it nearly impossible to play soccer and graduate on time. Rather than graduate in 5 years if she continued to play soccer she choose the smart route (in my opinion) and just focused on school, to graduate in time.

This is just Division 3 and my other child plays Div 1 and it's a full-time job on top of schooling. It's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
On this major, I also heard that some kids have to take classes all summer to make up for what was missed during the season. Not many kids want to go to school year around without a break.
A lot of D1s athletes are in school over the summer. Like someone said that means internships or study abroad are probably out the window.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would you please stop with your assault on D1 athletes? Enough already. There is nothing that stops a D1 athlete from studying what they want, they just have to want it enough. Not really all that different than the people who work a full time job and go to school in the evening. You have to be super motivated and willing to sacrifice. What do you think, everyone should just get what they want without having to work for it?
What assault? people are sharing info. it's good to know where to help your kid since they have to make decisions early. stop being so cranky.

Super motivated doesn't help if the school you attend doesn't have the classes to help you become an architect, engineer, neurosurgeon, whatever you dream to become. And some don't.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A lot of D1s athletes are in school over the summer. Like someone said that means internships or study abroad are probably out the window.
Taking a class or two for a few weeks and being at the school the entire summer is completely different. You never get to go home if you aren't close to home.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Taking a class or two for a few weeks and being at the school the entire summer is completely different. You never get to go home if you aren't close to home.
That's what I was saying - they end up being at school all the time, trying to finish up. If you're getting good athletic money that might work financially for you. But in soccer, especially men's, the money isn't very good and being on a five year plan is well out of budget for many families.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That's what I was saying - they end up being at school all the time, trying to finish up. If you're getting good athletic money that might work financially for you. But in soccer, especially men's, the money isn't very good and being on a five year plan is well out of budget for many families.
Exactly. Plus, you do miss them being around.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.