Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You don’t believe 7 to 9 RI players playing in the DA is a big deal? All of them Allstate caliber.
    Including head and shoulders the best player in the State. Put her back on the Lasalle roster and it’s another undefeated championship season for them. I think you drastically understate the affects.
    If you want to talk DA go to the MA board and have at it. This thread is about RI highschool soccer.

Comment

The 2014 and 2016 Portsmouth state championships beg to differ on the "one or even two players aren't going to make that big of a difference"..and for the older folks the 2006 (?) Scituate team..

and this thread is on RI high school league championship..we are all aware were RI (and for that part New England) stacks in the bigger picture of elite player pool development.
      MKM was a phenom. Not too many players like her. So for one team it has made a difference. Realistically, this is not the case for anyone else. Everyone can be replaced.

Comment

MKM was a phenom. Not too many players like her. So for one team it has made a difference. Realistically, this is not the case for anyone else. Everyone can be replaced.
        Well, makes the point - essentially in RI HS Girls Soccer D1 you have to have an incredible star player - and even then LSA has only been beaten I think in the playoffs the last decade plus due to PKs.

Hence, for LSA, your case may be true (you can lose the likely POY is she stayed with LSA and she can be replaced because of the depth) - for any other team, lose a player or two who are truly DA caliber and it goes from very slim to none.

But that's the same old message for a decade now..soccer is not an important sport to RIIL (unlike say football where the lack of competitiveness at least got a bone thrown to the publics); the privates are over represented in RIIL/PCOA, there is no desire to balance the no pay to play in public vs the ability of privates to skirt that rule (and recruiting), and the privates have no desire to seek out more "competitive" situation for its athletes.

So, enjoy looking for the under/over achievers in the 2-8 ranks, talk about the (to me) general decline in the play and coaching (look, it's HS with all its warts but the offensive play has gone down hill), or whether the top D2 is on par with bottom D1 or who is sandbagging..but the D1 state championship on the girls side is up there with death and taxes..

Comment

Well, makes the point - essentially in RI HS Girls Soccer D1 you have to have an incredible star player - and even then LSA has only been beaten I think in the playoffs the last decade plus due to PKs.

Hence, for LSA, your case may be true (you can lose the likely POY is she stayed with LSA and she can be replaced because of the depth) - for any other team, lose a player or two who are truly DA caliber and it goes from very slim to none.

But that's the same old message for a decade now..soccer is not an important sport to RIIL (unlike say football where the lack of competitiveness at least got a bone thrown to the publics); the privates are over represented in RIIL/PCOA, there is no desire to balance the no pay to play in public vs the ability of privates to skirt that rule (and recruiting), and the privates have no desire to seek out more "competitive" situation for its athletes.

So, enjoy looking for the under/over achievers in the 2-8 ranks, talk about the (to me) general decline in the play and coaching (look, it's HS with all its warts but the offensive play has gone down hill), or whether the top D2 is on par with bottom D1 or who is sandbagging..but the D1 state championship on the girls side is up there with death and taxes..

Good points. "Death and taxes"..that's funny!

LSA lost a POY type player to DA? I know they lost OF to graduation. I didn't think they had a player of that caliber left on the roster. Obviously, no names here but am racking my brain trying to figure out who they had left. I know most of the team...but....

Comment

Good points. "Death and taxes"..that's funny!

LSA lost a POY type player to DA? I know they lost OF to graduation. I didn't think they had a player of that caliber left on the roster. Obviously, no names here but am racking my brain trying to figure out who they had left. I know most of the team...but....
            Think OP means a player who was on LSA roster a few years ago but stopped..would have been a senior this year?

Comment

BC commit. Allstate Freshmen year. Head and shoulders best player in R.I. U19 DA past two years. Put her back on LSAs roster and it’s another undefeated year. There just isn’t another ACC caliber player in R.I. One dominate player on a very good team makes a huge difference.
              Asinine to suggest otherwise.

Comment

D2 more open if Warwick sports cut

Hard to keep up with the status, but if Warwick eliminates sports, I guess D2 Girls becomes a bit more open (and I suppose the gimmie that Toll Gate has become goes away too).

Comment

BC commit. Allstate Freshmen year. Head and shoulders best player in R.I. U19 DA past two years. Put her back on LSAs roster and it’s another undefeated year. There just isn’t another ACC caliber player in R.I. One dominate player on a very good team makes a huge difference.
                  Asinine to suggest otherwise.
                  Few things... just because a player doesn’t go to an ACC team, doesn’t mean they couldn’t. For instance, there is another DA U19 player from RI going to an Ivy that could’ve easily gone to BC if she wanted. And while we’re playing “what if” games, put her and her other DA teammate back on Barrington roster, and that team would likely win the Championship with the younger talent that team already has. Point is, the BC commit (or the two Barrington DA girls) are not playing HS, so they are not a factor in RI HS Soccer anymore, so no one cares how dominate they “could’ve” been.

Comment

There are no BC commits on the NEFC U19 DA team? Is this former LSA player on another DA team (Oakwood or Seacoast?)

Comment

There are no BC commits on the NEFC U19 DA team? Is this former LSA player on another DA team (Oakwood or Seacoast?)
                      Go to TopDrawer and search college commitments by state (RI)..

and the "what if" game was driven by the comment that it takes - or doesn't depending on which side you fall on - a high caliber player or two (the ones likely to be lost to DA) to even think about any other school upending the LSA juggernaut.

I'm not sure a high quality defender makes any team other than LSA likely to win, but no doubt would put Barrington up there as the likely team to be in the finals. LSA gave up what like 1 goal without one so in the era of poor creative offensive play and coaches who can't (or won't) teach set play tactics for goal scoring you're going to need a POY caliber scorer.

Comment

I correct myself on the above statement. Just an oversight on my part

Comment

I correct myself on the above statement. Just an oversight on my part
                          Player is ZA I think

Comment

HS

I can’t wait for Lasalle mom to start bragging about how good her kids team is. Get ready for it, it’s coming soon.

Comment

I can’t wait for Lasalle mom to start bragging about how good her kids team is. Get ready for it, it’s coming soon.
                              At least the LSA boys played a top regional team in a non-league match; the girls don't even do that - think they don't even play Feehan anymore.

Comment

Pilgrim did not move up to D1? Are you kidding? What a bunch of sandbaggers.

Are there no changes of divisions this year?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X