U.S. Women's Soccer Star: I'll Probably Never Sing the National Anthem Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Women's Soccer Star: I'll Probably Never Sing the National Anthem Again

https://townhall.com/entertainment/c...again-n2546353

Participation is a privilege not a right. If she doesn’t like what the anthem stands for she should decline to participate. If she pulls any stunts while she’s there I’d put her on the first plane back. Comparing woman’s soccer to the NFL is ludicrous.

Comment

There is no law forcing people to sing the anthem or even stand or speak the pledge of allegiance. If they want to write it into an employment contract they can go ahead and try.

Comment

She has trouble with the high notes.

Comment

I’m not a raging conservative, but if you want to play for a National team then you should honor the national symbol and stand for the flag and anthem. Otherwise step aside and give your spot to someone else. I’d say the same thing to an active duty military member.

The NFL players have a different situation entirely because they aren’t representing their country. They are speaking out as private citizens. And before someone chimes in that their employer should just can them remember that they aren’t your average employee, they are essentially union employees under collective bargaining; and standing isn’t part of their job as a football player. I believe private citizens have the constitutional right to stand/not stand if they choose to, especially as a form of protest.

Comment

I think the whole team should walk and send a giant FU to the USSF over their wage inequality bullsh**

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I’m not a raging conservative, but if you want to play for a National team then you should honor the national symbol and stand for the flag and anthem. Otherwise step aside and give your spot to someone else. I’d say the same thing to an active duty military member.

The NFL players have a different situation entirely because they aren’t representing their country. They are speaking out as private citizens. And before someone chimes in that their employer should just can them remember that they aren’t your average employee, they are essentially union employees under collective bargaining; and standing isn’t part of their job as a football player. I believe private citizens have the constitutional right to stand/not stand if they choose to, especially as a form of protest.
              I agree. You make total sense.

Comment

Athletes should be allowed to protest as well. It is not a law to stand or say the pledge of allegiance or sing a song. There's plenty to protest about the US these days, including the lower pay for female NT players. An employer can try and put it in a contract and test it in court but if it isn't in their current contract oh well.

Comment

Athletes should be allowed to protest as well. It is not a law to stand or say the pledge of allegiance or sing a song. There's plenty to protest about the US these days, including the lower pay for female NT players. An employer can try and put it in a contract and test it in court but if it isn't in their current contract oh well.
                  The WNT has signed a compensation contract with USSF. Why don't they honor that?! If they don't like let them walk. I am sure there are many who would take their place.

Comment

Pro Football is a private entertainment business watched primarily by red neck men. If they want them standing, the employer should be able to tell them to stand or walk. It's their right to protest. It's the companies right to fire them if they don't like it and believe it will hurt the business.

Comment

Pro Football is a private entertainment business watched primarily by red neck men. If they want them standing, the employer should be able to tell them to stand or walk. It's their right to protest. It's the companies right to fire them if they don't like it and believe it will hurt the business.
                      and no one cares about female soccer players. Truth.

Comment

If it's specifically not in the contract then it might not be grounds for dismissal. Other than Kaperneck no one was punished from the NFL standoff. Then there's the broader legal issue of whether an employer forcing an employee to stand when any other American can't be forced to do so. The NFL kicked the can down the road, no doubt in part because of fear of a protracted legal battle https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/23/1...-ramifications

Comment

Participation is a privilege not a right. If she doesn’t like what the anthem stands for she should decline to participate. If she pulls any stunts while she’s there I’d put her on the first plane back. Comparing woman’s soccer to the NFL is ludicrous.
                          Rapinoe is perhaps their best player but she should go. Trump is a poor president, but we have a democracy and should honor our country. I am tired of the other side whining when their person isn't in power. We have enough laws and checks and balances to ensure that our basic principles are followed.

Comment

If it's specifically not in the contract then it might not be grounds for dismissal. Other than Kaperneck no one was punished from the NFL standoff. Then there's the broader legal issue of whether an employer forcing an employee to stand when any other American can't be forced to do so. The NFL kicked the can down the road, no doubt in part because of fear of a protracted legal battle https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/23/1...-ramifications
                            Most employment contracts usually reference some type of generally appropriate behavior as it relates to their business. The owners must identify to the employee what they deem that to be. Agreed that with the players union that complicates things. WNT has no such union. The organization can dump any or all of them as they see fit.

Comment

They can protest on their own time. In this case, the coach and US Soccer have made it pretty plain how the team is expected to act.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X