Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2021 - Predictions for June 15?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've never seen a junior sign/fake sign anything. It's always for their schools or clubs and they certainly know NLIs are for seniors only. Of course players and families can brag all they want at any time. Juniors who are "committed" technically only have a verbal until that NLI is signed, but as said you don't have NLI unless there is athletic $ involved. But players and coaches can change their minds, schools can decide to not admit you. It doesn't happen often but it can and does happen from time to time. The closest to accurate lists won't happen until spring when the last of the admission letters go out. Lists are only as accurate as the inputs that make them up. Someone on this board used to do a really good job with the boys commitments but that's disappeared. Girls lists were always inconsistent.

Official offers can't be made until 9/1 of your junior year. Considering coaches can't even talk to players until 6/15 that isn't a lot of time to do ID events and meet and greets. Top studs will go fast early September but most seem to be getting pushed back into the fall and early winter for lower D1players and programs That was the intention of the rule changes and it's best for all involved. People used to the old schedules need to readjust. The compressed time table can make it more stressful and you best hope you don't get injured sophomore year. But over time it will become the norm. The 2021s are the first class to be hit with the full change.
    Not clear where the rules mention your “official offers can’t be made until 9/1 of your junior year” comment. Until an NLI is signed in senior year, nothing is “official” because verbal offers and commitments aren’t binding legal agreements. Theoretically, a verbal offer can be made 6/15 after sophomore year when recruiting discussions can start in D1. Most schools will obviously wait for official visits to start in August before junior year, but there is nothing to stop a coach from making the offer as soon as 6/15 for a coveted top recruit.

Still trying to figure out what’s really changed time wise with these new rules. The timeline of when things actually happen is very similar to my daughter’s recruiting experience 7 years ago. Maybe there were kids being offered spots in freshman year of HS, but that would have really been the minority. Most kids got D1 offers around the start of junior year back then and it seems the same is true now. College coaches have to see you perform both on and off the field before pulling the trigger; hard to do if all they have to go by is 8th grade club results or maybe one season of HS. I do like the clarity of the new rules though. 90% of HS freshman don’t have ability to have a recruiting discussion with a college coach; after sophomore year there is more maturity and understanding there imo.

Comment

I'm noticing now with sophomore and junior players is how much more level the playing field is compared to in 7th and 8th grade. The studs in middle school peak out and their teammates catch up to them. This makes it easier for coaches to hedge their bets on certain players. It also helps late bloomers. The downside to the new rules is how impacted the timeline is. If families were targeting a certain level of program and receive no interest the summer after the junior year, it will be hard to figure out where they should target because by fall a lot of offers start happening. Instead, people need to target several levels of schools (reach, target, and safety) and soccer programs. Cover your bases.

Comment

Yes the timeline is more compressed and having the right mix of some reaches, probable and safeties will matter even more. Not much time to re set your sights. But it's good for the players ( better read on their academic potential, more mature, better idea of what they want) and for coaches (player is more developed, less guess work).

Comment

yes on your dates BUT there is nothing to stop D3 coaches/players from talking well before the pre read dates
          Right, but it's not an advantage vs. D1 communications timing. Most kids that are thinking D1 will have time to realize that it ain't happening in plenty of time to shift their focus to D3 and still get admissions help (providing they're not incredibly blind or stubborn).

Comment

Nothing wrong with celebrating those playing at the next level. It should be celebrated, and supported all over social media. Congrats! But when families who definitely know the difference, intentionally share a fake NLI signing, it is straight up posing and an intentional misrepresentation. Wear the sweatshirt, hold the admissions letter, announce your commitment, just don't grab a pen.
            Well stated. Celebrate the confirmation that you're moving on to the next level; don't pretend that you're signing a contract for big $'s.

I have a HS senior, and this winter's Holiday season was a big one for discussion about who is going where to do what during parties. I heard a lot of interesting talk about kids "signed with xyz" D3 school and hints about full rides, etc. The ones who didn't know me (we've done the college recruiting thing 3x now, so we know fact from fiction) were the most brazen, and often times incredibly amusing.

Comment

What are uncommitted 2021 players doing right now?

Comment

Scrambling

Comment

If they are smart, they are hunkered down in their homes and not worrying about soccer or college right now. Believe me if this gets a bad as they are talking about, the first people to be let go at the colleges will be the athletic departments and staff. All scholarships will be rescinded pending when they re-open.

Comment

If they are smart, they are hunkered down in their homes and not worrying about soccer or college right now. Believe me if this gets a bad as they are talking about, the first people to be let go at the colleges will be the athletic departments and staff. All scholarships will be rescinded pending when they re-open.
                    Ok sure they will. Like you have any idea.

Comment

This is so blatantly stupid that it's hard to read.

Comment

Dunno seems things that were unimaginable are happening every day. Every K-12 school and college in the country closed within a week or so. No soccer or other organized sports at any level. Unemployment was at the lowest in history a couple months ago and now if you believe the Treasury Secretary could hit 20% very soon. So could colleges not be open and playing soccer in the fall if this continues? Yeah sounds plausible, not stupid at all. Time to get your priorities straight.

Comment

Dunno seems things that were unimaginable are happening every day. Every K-12 school and college in the country closed within a week or so. No soccer or other organized sports at any level. Unemployment was at the lowest in history a couple months ago and now if you believe the Treasury Secretary could hit 20% very soon. So could colleges not be open and playing soccer in the fall if this continues? Yeah sounds plausible, not stupid at all. Time to get your priorities straight.
                          A crashed economy means fewer kids going back to college because there's no money for tuition. Schools already on the financial edge may close. Think your kid will qualify for great aid because you're out of work? FAFSA is a 2 year look back. Schools have largely already allocated their financial and merit aid for next year. Costly private loans would be your last option and if the economy is still in the crapper it's not a good idea.

Comment

Praying for a break.

Comment

My dd is depressed. Was hoping Spring would help her in the recruiting process. Not a D1 level player. Now SATs are unknown. Her video is not good so was hoping to get footage this spring and summer. I feel for all the other families in this position.

Comment

My dd is depressed. Was hoping Spring would help her in the recruiting process. Not a D1 level player. Now SATs are unknown. Her video is not good so was hoping to get footage this spring and summer. I feel for all the other families in this position.
                                Don’t let this bring her hope down. As she is in this position so are the coaches which still need players. For Pete’s sakes there is still 02’s looking for spots.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X