No announcement yet.

2013 Girls D1 HS Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are you are either a teenaged girl from Franklin or a crazy parent of a Franklin
    teenager.

If you are the former, congratulations on your state championship. Well earned.

If you are the latter, seek immediate assistance from a professional. You are probably walking around town in a Krejci jersey thinking you are helping the team win by sitting in your lucky seat every night.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sour grapes. My team has a championship trophy you team has only a bitter taste

Comment

So are you are either a teenaged girl from Franklin or a crazy parent of a Franklin
      teenager.

If you are the former, congratulations on your state championship. Well earned.

If you are the latter, seek immediate assistance from a professional. You are probably walking around town in a Krejci jersey thinking you are helping the team win by sitting in your lucky seat every night.
      They can get help with the crazy Wachusett parents.

Comment

They can get help with the crazy Wachusett parents.
        HA! That took much longer than I expected.

Comment

Needham is the team to beat.
          How so? Coach T bringing the dog collars back out?

Comment

LS and CC lost some big name Seniors. AB should be strong as most of their starters were underclassmen.
            CC only lost 4 or 5 seniors

Comment

No one cares!
              Totally agree. HS soccer is a joke

Comment

Totally agree. HS soccer is a joke
                You are a joke for writing that.

HS soccer is one of the great experiences that soccer players enjoy, including elite club-level players up to and including national team players like the Mewis girls and Brock. The level of soccer is not the highest but there is good soccer, and often player rivalries from different clubs are renewed on the high school pitch. There are some fierce, highly competitive games. Beyond that, the kids love playing and it means something to them. Ask any of the elite players who played for their high schools and the vast majority will tell you the experience was well worth it. It was a mistake for DAP to draw a hard line in the sand on playing in high school, and I likewise think it is a mistake if Stars prohibit or strongly discourage high school participation. There is far too much emphasis on the individual in youth soccer, promoted by the whole identification industry. The so-called experts have made soccer more like golf or tennis or gymnastics in this regard, which is exactly why we have produced soccer parents who act like parents of kids in individual sports (and not unlike Toddlers in Tiaras beauty pageants). This error in my view is based on a fundamental misunderstanding about how great players develop out of the European and South American systems. The US essentially plays a karaoke version of the development process in other countries resulting all too often in karoake-type players. High school isn't the problem. It isn't the solution either, but nothing is gained by depriving kids of one of the greatest experiences they will have over a lifetime.

-- Cyberman

Comment

...and I likewise think it is a mistake if Stars prohibit or strongly discourage high school participation....

-- Cyberman
                  Is there any reason to believe that Stars will be doing this? What else would be happening in the fall season? (I am directing these questions to you, since you are known not to be a knee-jerk Stars basher.)

Comment

Is there any reason to believe that Stars will be doing this? What else would be happening in the fall season? (I am directing these questions to you, since you are known not to be a knee-jerk Stars basher.)
                    Different poster. Fear is that ECNL, NPL etc will ultimately result in a DAP like program.

Comment

4 or 5 Seniors that played would be significant. Were the Seniors impact players?

Comment

LS graduated 5 seniors as well.

Comment

That's the funny thing. (Is this my "pal" above?) I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about Stars. I am not that familiar with the organization, but from a distance I respect what they have accomplished. They have represented excellence and some really good soccer players have come through their ranks. They have elevated Mass soccer nationally. That said, I actually don't know what their policy is regarding HS, although I thought I have read her in the past that players were discouraged or asked not to play HS soccer. That very well may not be true. Certainly there are parents here who know the honest truth and could speak to this. I know historically the Scorps have generally supported HS play but of course FM was at least a double state champion HS coach and there is the famous story of AC tearfully deciding to stay with her high school team at the cost of giving up a national team spot/appearance. And I don't know whether Scorps still support HS play or not with the advent of ECNL, although I assume they do since I am familiar with some of their better ECNL players playing in high school as recently as last year. At any rate, while I understand the pressures, just as happened with DAP, I personally do not agree with prohibiting or otherwise creating onerous barriers to high school play. If a kid doesn't want to play or truly has a horrible high school team with literally no chance of making the tournament I can respect that kind of decision, even though I think it is the wrong choice.

Comment

That's the funny thing. (Is this my "pal" above?) I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about Stars. I am not that familiar with the organization, but from a distance I respect what they have accomplished. They have represented excellence and some really good soccer players have come through their ranks. They have elevated Mass soccer nationally. That said, I actually don't know what their policy is regarding HS, although I thought I have read her in the past that players were discouraged or asked not to play HS soccer. That very well may not be true. Certainly there are parents here who know the honest truth and could speak to this. I know historically the Scorps have generally supported HS play but of course FM was at least a double state champion HS coach and there is the famous story of AC tearfully deciding to stay with her high school team at the cost of giving up a national team spot/appearance. And I don't know whether Scorps still support HS play or not with the advent of ECNL, although I assume they do since I am familiar with some of their better ECNL players playing in high school as recently as last year. At any rate, while I understand the pressures, just as happened with DAP, I personally do not agree with prohibiting or otherwise creating onerous barriers to high school play. If a kid doesn't want to play or truly has a horrible high school team with literally no chance of making the tournament I can respect that kind of decision, even though I think it is the wrong choice.
                            (I might be your TS "pal.") To the best of my knowledge, Stars is not discouraging HS play. My sense is that the club accepts it as a reality--not only given the current absence of a "DAP-like program" but also due to social factors thought to be particularly strong for girls. There was discussion on TS about the club steering some girls toward certain high schools with solid programs--which would seem to concede that HS play will remain a reality for girls.

If ECNL/NPL attempted a DAP-like move, this might well provoke a revolt. Personally, I am neutral on the overall value of HS play for talented, ambitious players.

Comment

I don't know what the policy is today. My daughter is in college and was on the top Stars team in her age group through high school. I can tell you they were not fond of high school soccer as they felt it led to bad habits (which it does). But they gave up trying to fight it and tried to make the best of it by offering outside training once or twice a week in the fall in hopes of getting players to attend in order to remind the players what they should be doing. They were not required to attend and players were discouraged from coming if they'd had a game or practice the same day. When available, my daughter always went as she enjoyed the Stars practices socially (she got to see a few of her teammates) and technically.

On the top teams they also discouraged multiple sports, this was because of the commitment required to practice tactics on the high school aged teams. You could always move to another team in the age group if you really wanted to play high school lacrosse or whatever. You cannot practice tactics if half the team or half the midfielders or whatever are missing. Frankly it is not fair to those players (like my daughter) who were committed to the team and didn't miss practices. My daughter did play other sports recreationally because she enjoyed them. She never missed a Stars practice for anything other than school though. She did miss school dances and never did plays or anything like that because of the soccer commitment. She sometimes missed a day or two of school for tournaments but never missed for senior skip days, prom preparation or the like.

Attack away but this was our experience. It was our/her choice which was right for her and our family. We would not presume to tell someone else that this is the only way but I am expecting attacks here since some people feel their way is the only way.

Comment

I can tell you they were not fond of high school soccer as they felt it led to bad habits (which it does). But they gave up trying to fight it and tried to make the best of it by offering outside training once or twice a week in the fall in hopes of getting players to attend in order to remind the players what they should be doing.
                                There's so much absurdity to that generalization I don't know where to begin.

Are there some awful programs and awful coaches out there? Of course. Just like there are some excellent coaches from all of the club ranks, etc. who aren't wreaking havoc on player development.

So bad habits for whom and by who? An upper echelon player (like your kid for example) who is playing for some incompetent buffoon doing more than rolling the ball onto the pitch, who's actually trying to teach all the wrong things? What are you saying, your kid (again, not being personal, just an example) wasn't smart, savvy and experienced enough at that point to know better and/or to make something positive with her time on the ball? Otherwise, are we talking about the end of the bench with no real developed skill to begin with picking up all of these bad habits?

Some high school programs (the better ones) are predominantly club players and the school is paying attention and hires an appropriately qualified coach. Other schools might not be that fortunate. The exceptional player stuck at a crappy program with no one around (player or coach) to raise their game is more exception than rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X