Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 2 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Default Barely enough thorns players to roster teams

Some of the Thorns academy teams are getting REALLY THIN with their rosters. U15's played with zero subs this weekend. U17's only had 2 subs. For home games.

All of the propaganda and one upmanship aside - I don't get it. Why can't Thorns attract a full roster of quality players? They aren't outrageously expensive. They do a good job getting girls committed (yes I know the girls do the work but players and families look for clubs with a track record, and Thorns have one). They are the THORNS with all the trappings that come with it. They have a huge captive audience of ODP players to assess all year and to encourage to "move up" to Thorns.

My older daughter is in college and Thorns wasn't ever in the equation for her, but we remember well that in the early academy years, getting a "call up" to Thorns academy was a huge, prestigious deal. What has changed? Is it really the high school thing?

The u14 (2006) team looks promising (16 rostered), until you realize that one of them is a 2009 and another one is a part time player. So in reality only 14 in the 2006 age group.

I do not believe that the Thorns are THAT exclusive and only taking the cream of the crop. Something is wrong with their model to have such small teams. And whether you are a Thorns academy supporter or not, this should concern you, because at the very least what Thorns academy does is hold every other club's feet to the fire to deliver a better product. It's in everyone's best interests for Thorns, ECNL, and the top OYSA teams to all be successful and healthy. And those Thorns roster number are not healthy at all.
Old 58 Minutes Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Some of the Thorns academy teams are getting REALLY THIN with their rosters. U15's played with zero subs this weekend. U17's only had 2 subs. For home games.

All of the propaganda and one upmanship aside - I don't get it. Why can't Thorns attract a full roster of quality players? They aren't outrageously expensive. They do a good job getting girls committed (yes I know the girls do the work but players and families look for clubs with a track record, and Thorns have one). They are the THORNS with all the trappings that come with it. They have a huge captive audience of ODP players to assess all year and to encourage to "move up" to Thorns.

My older daughter is in college and Thorns wasn't ever in the equation for her, but we remember well that in the early academy years, getting a "call up" to Thorns academy was a huge, prestigious deal. What has changed? Is it really the high school thing?

The u14 (2006) team looks promising (16 rostered), until you realize that one of them is a 2009 and another one is a part time player. So in reality only 14 in the 2006 age group.

I do not believe that the Thorns are THAT exclusive and only taking the cream of the crop. Something is wrong with their model to have such small teams. And whether you are a Thorns academy supporter or not, this should concern you, because at the very least what Thorns academy does is hold every other club's feet to the fire to deliver a better product. It's in everyone's best interests for Thorns, ECNL, and the top OYSA teams to all be successful and healthy. And those Thorns roster number are not healthy at all.
Why would be getting a call to play for Thorns Academy be a prestigious event? They are awful and have always been awful. The Thorns will take anyone that wants to play
Old 25 Minutes Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Why would be getting a call to play for Thorns Academy be a prestigious event? They are awful and have always been awful. The Thorns will take anyone that wants to play
In theory Thorns might be a good idea but I havenít heard any good reports back. The ban on high school is a big, big problem. Elite players donít have to give up anything.

Ive heard reports of girls cut from high school teams joining Thorns and that is not a good look.
Old 12 Minutes Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
In theory Thorns might be a good idea but I havenít heard any good reports back. The ban on high school is a big, big problem. Elite players donít have to give up anything.

Ive heard reports of girls cut from high school teams joining Thorns and that is not a good look.
Elite players donít exist in Oregon.