Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    College coaches prefer players they can move to multiple positions. If you pigeonhole yourself into only being a X position player you are limiting your marketability. Versatility is a huge asset.
    Tim Howard started his college career as a striker.

Comment

Tim Howard started his college career as a striker.
      Interesting, I did not know that.
      Too add to that, Hope Solo was top goal scorer for her HS team.
      And anyone who has seen Groton Dunstble girls play knows who their best field player is...the one wearing the mittens.

Comment

I know 2 boys who played GK through junior year, were recruited as gks, played striker senior year, ended up being recruited and playing in college as a striker. One D1, one D3.

Comment

Interesting, I did not know that.
          Too add to that, Hope Solo was top goal scorer for her HS team.
          And anyone who has seen Groton Dunstble girls play knows who their best field player is...the one wearing the mittens.
          To be fair, Hope Solo was already going into national camps in HS as a GK; not as a striker. She wasn't just thrust into the net not having been taught the technical and mental part of it when she finally picked the net as her home.

According to her, in hs, her striker skills were descent but not great. She had speed, agility and good foot skills but not the technical skills that US Soccer wanted up top.

Your keeper is supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, overall athlete on the team. The days of putting the slowest kid in net are gone.

Comment

To be fair, Hope Solo was already going into national camps in HS as a GK; not as a striker. She wasn't just thrust into the net not having been taught the technical and mental part of it when she finally picked the net as her home.

According to her, in hs, her striker skills were descent but not great. She had speed, agility and good foot skills but not the technical skills that US Soccer wanted up top.

Your keeper is supposed to be one of the best, if not the best, overall athlete on the team. The days of putting the slowest kid in net are gone.
            I was watching a women's college game over the weekend, and the announcer commented that one of the keepers was "only 5'8" " which is on the small side for a college keeper. They went on and talked about the challenges and disadvantages of being so "small" at that position. That was in a WOMEN'S game - imagine the response to a male keeper even smaller than that...

Comment

Agreed, there is not only a technical part of being a GK but a mental/psychology piece. Not everyone can handle that part of it. A GK could have played out of their shoes, but good goals still happen. Being able to compartmentalize is hard to do, but necessary.

Comment

I was watching a women's college game over the weekend, and the announcer commented that one of the keepers was "only 5'8" " which is on the small side for a college keeper. They went on and talked about the challenges and disadvantages of being so "small" at that position. That was in a WOMEN'S game - imagine the response to a male keeper even smaller than that...
                And that was probably a measurement in her cleats. Years ago it worked, but in recent years, any male GK I know that wasn't at least 5'11" played D3.

The dimensions of a soccer goal are 24 feet wide x 8 feet high which means that the goalkeeper needs to be able to cover an area of 192 square feet in split seconds.

Comment

And that was probably a measurement in her cleats. Years ago it worked, but in recent years, any male GK I know that wasn't at least 5'11" played D3.

The dimensions of a soccer goal are 24 feet wide x 8 feet high which means that the goalkeeper needs to be able to cover an area of 192 square feet in split seconds.
                  And there are other split second processing as well such as communicating to the players; reading the flight of the ball; the pace of it; how it was struck; which foot the player used to strike it; the speed of the delivery; does it have a spin, is it curving or isn't it/doesn't it; what type of spin (do I try to catch it or hit it out or down because of the hit/spin); when to leave the line that won't come back to bite you based on the speed of the player, their touches on the ball; where are the other opponents setting up; and more.

All of this while watching where the other players on the field are headed around the entire box. Add adverse weather, sun glare, wind and more. It can be very challenging.

A lot of split second processing goes on. Many people don't understand. It's more than just shot stopping.

Comment

And there are other split second processing as well such as communicating to the players; reading the flight of the ball; the pace of it; how it was struck; which foot the player used to strike it; the speed of the delivery; does it have a spin, is it curving or isn't it/doesn't it; what type of spin (do I try to catch it or hit it out or down because of the hit/spin); when to leave the line that won't come back to bite you based on the speed of the player, their touches on the ball; where are the other opponents setting up; and more.

All of this while watching where the other players on the field are headed around the entire box. Add adverse weather, sun glare, wind and more. It can be very challenging.

A lot of split second processing goes on. Many people don't understand. It's more than just shot stopping.
                    Blah blah blah....

"See ball, stop ball"

-ex-Goalie

Comment

Blah blah blah....

"See ball, stop ball"

-ex-Goalie
                      Sure when kids just ran and kicked. You are probably fat and slow too and just guessed.

I agree with the poster. There is a science behind it with the faster and stronger players becoming more and more technical on the field.

Comment

Sure when kids just ran and kicked. You are probably fat and slow too and just guessed.

I agree with the poster. There is a science behind it with the faster and stronger players becoming more and more technical on the field.

Why so serious?

Everything said is true...but the reality is all the science in the world comes down to "see ball stop ball".

Side note, one thing in that long diatribe didn't give enough detail, and something I always harped on, when talking of the flight of the ball: If/how it the level changes.

Meaning, a shot coming at you linearly gives you the ability to track the flight. If it bounces, you are tracking the flight on the way down and the way back up again. It's why many keepers struggle with a shot that bounces on the way in.

Comment

Agreed, there is not only a technical part of being a GK but a mental/psychology piece. Not everyone can handle that part of it. A GK could have played out of their shoes, but good goals still happen. Being able to compartmentalize is hard to do, but necessary.
                          Its a very tough job. You are right not everyone can handle both the job and the mental toughness required.

Comment

Goalkeepers disproportionately have ADHD. It's theorized that this helps them, because they can hyper focus on the ball, and more easily tune out distractions. Also, they have poor working memory, so putting goals scored on them past them, is easier.

Comment

Goalkeepers disproportionately have ADHD. It's theorized that this helps them, because they can hyper focus on the ball, and more easily tune out distractions. Also, they have poor working memory, so putting goals scored on them past them, is easier.
                              Are you a doctor or just play one on TV? If you have ADHD it's incredibly difficult to tune out distractions. In fact that's pretty much a defining characteristic of ADHD. My GK is a million miles away from a ADHD dx. One of his siblings who does have it would suck a GK.

Comment

Why so serious?

Everything said is true...but the reality is all the science in the world comes down to "see ball stop ball".

Side note, one thing in that long diatribe didn't give enough detail, and something I always harped on, when talking of the flight of the ball: If/how it the level changes.

Meaning, a shot coming at you linearly gives you the ability to track the flight. If it bounces, you are tracking the flight on the way down and the way back up again. It's why many keepers struggle with a shot that bounces on the way in.
                                Didn't get into all of it because there is a lot more too. If it's skimming across the ground, etc.

I was a GK trainer when my knees could do it. Some kids just weren't able to grasp that level (all of that is high level gking) and some then just got out of the GK trade.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X