Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree HS coaches don’t try to develop possession, precision passing, high technical acumen. They really don’t have the time or expertise. However what does the HS coach do when they have many good club players on their roster? I see many continue to play direct (kick and chase like mad). They refuse to change the style of play. Why? Fear of losing? HS coach’s don’t have time to develop players but some get really good club players capable of playing a nice possession style of play and under utilize them. That is a shame.
    any correlation between successful high school programs and club relationships?

Comment

I agree HS coaches don’t try to develop possession, precision passing, high technical acumen. They really don’t have the time or expertise. However what does the HS coach do when they have many good club players on their roster? I see many continue to play direct (kick and chase like mad). They refuse to change the style of play. Why? Fear of losing? HS coach’s don’t have time to develop players but some get really good club players capable of playing a nice possession style of play and under utilize them. That is a shame.
      Spot on. I'd add that possession is hugely important, but possession for the sake of possession is boring and doesn't get goals. It seems in recent years with more travel players switching over to premier, HS coaches are not good at adapting to and getting the best out of their premier players who are used to a more complete game where play develops from the back and moves through the midfield and transitions to attacking soccer. Still see a lot of the old-fashioned boot ball to an athletic forward hoping he knocks it in. It's like an old regime stubbornly refusing to adapt to a changed soccer scene where today's premier players have decent skills and are more comfortable with 1v1.

Comment

Don't have time? That's laughable. They have them 2x more than premier at least yet the soccer is not half as good. Most HS coaches suck. That's it.

Comment

Spot on. I'd add that possession is hugely important, but possession for the sake of possession is boring and doesn't get goals. It seems in recent years with more travel players switching over to premier, HS coaches are not good at adapting to and getting the best out of their premier players who are used to a more complete game where play develops from the back and moves through the midfield and transitions to attacking soccer. Still see a lot of the old-fashioned boot ball to an athletic forward hoping he knocks it in. It's like an old regime stubbornly refusing to adapt to a changed soccer scene where today's premier players have decent skills and are more comfortable with 1v1.
          nobody wants to watch 89 minutes of useless passing for one scoring chance - not even the coaches. Americans want to see 5 goals minimum
          thats why it becomes a track meet- soccer in Merica is school yard hoops- you want to watch passing go to europe
          it is what it is

Comment

Don't have time? That's laughable. They have them 2x more than premier at least yet the soccer is not half as good. Most HS coaches suck. That's it.
            Your math sucks. 2 games per week. That leaves 3 practice days. One will be recovery from game day before. 1 will be prep for game the next day. Both of those are light practice’s. That leaves 1 practice for real intense training. All of this goes on for 10-11 weeks.

Now at my premier club, they have about 30-32 weeks for the post high school season. They practice 3x per week. They have 8-10 weekends with league games (1-2) plus 3 tournaments. That is a whole lot more training time per game.

High School is about 2.5 hours training for each game.
            My club is about 6 hours training for each game.

Like I said your math sucks.
            Or, your at some “premier” aka “town travel” club.

Comment

Direct, fast paced, high press soccer wins HS championships - just ask the Ridgefield coach. He knows the formula for success.
              Exactly. I’d add a good goalkeeper to that equation as well.

Comment

Your math sucks. 2 games per week. That leaves 3 practice days. One will be recovery from game day before. 1 will be prep for game the next day. Both of those are light practice’s. That leaves 1 practice for real intense training. All of this goes on for 10-11 weeks.

Now at my premier club, they have about 30-32 weeks for the post high school season. They practice 3x per week. They have 8-10 weekends with league games (1-2) plus 3 tournaments. That is a whole lot more training time per game.

High School is about 2.5 hours training for each game.
                My club is about 6 hours training for each game.

Like I said your math sucks.
                Or, your at some “premier” aka “town travel” club.
                Nice try. Good excuses. Which HS team do you coach?
                Any decent HS has kids that ALREADY play premier so they don't need to be taught how to play. Reality is most HS coaches are either just collecting a check or reliving their glory days when they were a big jock stud back in high school. Couldn't coach good soccer if they had 80 hours of training.

Comment

Nice try. Good excuses. Which HS team do you coach?
                  Any decent HS has kids that ALREADY play premier so they don't need to be taught how to play. Reality is most HS coaches are either just collecting a check or reliving their glory days when they were a big jock stud back in high school. Couldn't coach good soccer if they had 80 hours of training.
                  Glastonbury Boys

Comment

Head coach for Boys Soccer at Hand is the best HS coach in the State....and a great youth development coach for CTRush!

Comment

Head coach for Boys Soccer at Hand is the best HS coach in the State....and a great youth development coach for CTRush!
                      Get a life

Comment

Get a life
                        Truth hurts, huh? Sounds like you should try some of your own advice!

Comment

DHS coach is better, sorry.

Comment

Boys Top 5 LL

Every week they release the coaches poll of top 10 HS teams in the state.
                            So what does the TS universe say on top 5 Boys LL in the state.
                            My top 5
                            1. Glastonbury
                            2. Fairfield Warde
                            3. Hall
                            4. East Hartford
                            5. Greenwich

Comment

My top 5
                              1. Glastonbury
                              2. Fairfield Warde
                              3. Hall
                              4. East Hartford
                              5. Greenwich
                              Who cares?

Comment

My top 5
                                1. Glastonbury
                                2. Fairfield Warde
                                3. Hall
                                4. East Hartford
                                5. Greenwich
                                Greenwich? Did you take the pipe out of the westport handbag?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X