Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U12 9v9 Goal Kick rule

I have a rules question for the forum regarding goal kicks. I'm an experienced soccer parent, but have never really played soccer, nor do I follow soccer too deeply.

This happened in a recent Travel game for one of my kids.

Our goalie is performing a goal kick to one of the defenders on the side. It's not a particularly strong kick and there's enough time for an opponent to intercept the ball before our defender can receive. All hell breaks loose and ultimately, the opponents score a goal. This actually happened twice in a game decided by 2 goals.

I recall previous seasons, our players had to be outside of the Penalty Box to receive the goal kick from our goalie. Opponents weren't allowed to come into the box until the ball crossed the penalty box line. It looks like the rules were changed at the FIFA level back in August that now indicates that the ball is in play as soon as the goalie kicks it. And that our players don't have to start outside of the Penalty box and they can receive the kick inside the box as well.

Therefore, the opponents at this game were not violating the rules (specifically Law 16).

My question is whether US Youth Soccer and more specifically EPYSA have dessiminated this information to the coaches. I was on both websites and quite honestly, they're lacking. EPYSA doesn't mention anything about rules, and USYS links to the 2018/19 FIFA rule book, which has the old rules.

How are coaches supposed to keep up with rule changes? If you're a professional coach, then that's your job. But what about non-professional that have full time jobs and such.

I'm thinking that EPYSA should have at least sent all licensed coaches an email indicating which Laws have been changed. Or maybe they did our players haven't fully grasped these changes.

Thanks.

Only Ukies, Delco or FC Bucks posts please!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Only Ukies, Delco or FC Bucks posts please!
      Nice one. Let's pretend this happened at a game between Delco and FC Bucks.

Comment

I have a rules question for the forum regarding goal kicks. I'm an experienced soccer parent, but have never really played soccer, nor do I follow soccer too deeply.

Our goalie is performing a goal kick to one of the defenders on the side. It's not a particularly strong kick and there's enough time for an opponent to intercept the ball before our defender can receive. All hell breaks loose and ultimately, the opponents score a goal. This actually happened twice in a game decided by 2 goals.

I recall previous seasons, our players had to be outside of the Penalty Box to receive the goal kick from our goalie. Opponents weren't allowed to come into the box until the ball crossed the penalty box line. It looks like the rules were changed at the FIFA level back in August that now indicates that the ball is in play as soon as the goalie kicks it. And that our players don't have to start outside of the Penalty box and they can receive the kick inside the box as well.

Therefore, the opponents at this game were not violating the rules (specifically Law 16).

My question is whether US Youth Soccer and more specifically EPYSA have dessiminated this information to the coaches. I was on both websites and quite honestly, they're lacking. EPYSA doesn't mention anything about rules, and USYS links to the 2018/19 FIFA rule book, which has the old rules.

How are coaches supposed to keep up with rule changes? If you're a professional coach, then that's your job. But what about non-professional that have full time jobs and such.

I'm thinking that EPYSA should have at least sent all licensed coaches an email indicating which Laws have been changed. Or maybe they did our players haven't fully grasped these changes.

Thanks.
        I know this changed for the older ages but didn’t know it was across the board.
        You would have thought someone would have told all coaches about this new rule.

Comment

I know this changed for the older ages but didn’t know it was across the board.
          You would have thought someone would have told all coaches about this new rule.
          The rule has changed across the board

Comment

The rule has changed across the board
            Even at the 7v7 level where they use the Build-Out line?

Comment

Thanks.
              Its the responsibility of the league or tournament to post their rules since none of them follow fifa rules 100%. A coach, professional or not should spend the 15 minutes it takes to read them.

Comment

Its the responsibility of the league or tournament to post their rules since none of them follow fifa rules 100%. A coach, professional or not should spend the 15 minutes it takes to read them.
                I agree, however, all of the websites that I looked at didn't have the updated rules.

The US Youth Soccer website links to the 2018/19 Rules.
                EPYSA doesn't link to any rules at all, except after a lot of digging around, I was able to one reference to the rules change, and it was buried under "Resources > Referees", which isn't a spot that I would imagine coaches to stumble upon.

Our club website just links to USYS and EPYSA. The league website just refers to "Laws of the Game".

Now, I don't know if the Coach's were told of the new rules by the Club at the Coaches' Meeting (like I said, I'm just a parent). For all I know, the Coaches all know and it's just the players that are forgetting .. although I did ask my player and she said she knew the rules, but who really knows.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X