Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boys: No $$$ for you so play HIGH SCHOOL

Let's face it, boys don't get the same soccer $$$ that girls do.

Very few players, especially in New England, will get enough money from a university to justify what DA demands of them.

The college commitments thread demonstrates that more high school players transition to college soccer, AND CONTRIBUTE, than DA players.

DA is an incubator for the .001% and it's 99.999% likely you aren't one of those boys.

Find a strong club team nearby. Play high school soccer. Use all the time not spent in the car going to practice, or NY for a game, to study really hard and get good grades.

No one you play with will make enough $$$ from soccer to justify what their parents will spend, or the time the team wants you to invest.

PLAY HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Very few players, especially in New England, will get enough money from a university to justify what DA demands of them.

The college commitments thread demonstrates that more high school players transition to college soccer, AND CONTRIBUTE, than DA players.

DA is an incubator for the .001% and it's 99.999% likely you aren't one of those boys.

Find a strong club team nearby. Play high school soccer. Use all the time not spent in the car going to practice, or NY for a game, to study really hard and get good grades.

No one you play with will make enough $$$ from soccer to justify what their parents will spend, or the time the team wants you to invest.

PLAY HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER.
    To sum up: Study first, play soccer second, enjoy high school, be a kid. If you were the next Pulisic, you'd have been discovered by now, so don't worry about it. Or if you are the other 1-in-100,000 Jamie Vardy who is a late bloomer, keep working, but you'd better be studying, too.

Comment

PLAY HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER.
      Why do I have to play HS soccer? Are you saying I should play HS soccer and ECNL or some other league, too?

What if I don't want to? What if I want to play at a high level, more than HS can offer? What if the costs to play DA and the impact on my body equals that of another club?

Does this apply to everything, not just soccer?

Are there are list of other pursuits you recommend I don't do (skiing, climbing, piano lessons, band camp, tiddly-winks)? Do you keep the list, or is it posted somewhere for us to review?

Comment

Is playing for a high-level club and studying mutually exclusive?

Comment

Why do I have to play HS soccer? Are you saying I should play HS soccer and ECNL or some other league, too?

What if I don't want to? What if I want to play at a high level, more than HS can offer? What if the costs to play DA and the impact on my body equals that of another club?

Are there are list of other pursuits you recommend I don't do (skiing, climbing, piano lessons, band camp, tiddly-winks)? Do you keep the list, or is it posted somewhere for us to review?
          Dads like you are the target audience for this post. Thanks for validating it.

Comment

Dads like you are the target audience for this post. Thanks for validating it.
            Are you going to answer the question? Why does every soccer pursuit have to be about a scholarship? Why do you think that?

It's a serious question. Why can't they just play the freakin' game for fun -what they perceive as fun- like any other sport or activity?

Comment

Are you going to answer the question? Why does every soccer pursuit have to be about a scholarship? Why do you think that?

It's a serious question. Why can't they just play the freakin' game for fun -what they perceive as fun- like any other sport or activity?
              Because unless you happen to live right next to the field, you’re most likely driving a distance. Because unless you play for the Revs, you’re spending upwards of $10k or more a year to play and travel to tourneys across the country which are a huge money maker for clubs and not particularly useful to players and families.

Go ski if you want, but unless you’re living in NH right near a mountain and your kid was born to slide, your kid isn’t the next Bode Miller so please don’t tell us you’re spending $3000 a year on race stock skis and $1000’s more on season passes amd travel to compete at races across the country just for fun. That’s the equilivent of club soccer, not recreational skiing..

Bottom line, you’re kidding yourself, but not us if these “activities” dominate your life and budget and you don’t expect anything out of it other than the intrinsic benefits of competition. No one does that.

Comment

Because unless you happen to live right next to the field, you’re most likely driving a distance. Because unless you play for the Revs, you’re spending upwards of $10k or more a year to play and travel to tourneys across the country which are a huge money maker for clubs and not particularly useful to players and families.

Go ski if you want, but unless you’re living in NH right near a mountain and your kid was born to slide, your kid isn’t the next Bode Miller so please don’t tell us you’re spending $3000 a year on race stock skis and $1000’s more on season passes amd travel to compete at races across the country just for fun. That’s the equilivent of club soccer, not recreational skiing..

Bottom line, you’re kidding yourself, but not us if these “activities” dominate your life and budget and you don’t expect anything out of it other than the intrinsic benefits of competition. No one does that.
                So, for example, while my kid has played soccer we have gone on trips and extended it out for family vacations; we've gone to Colorado, California, Florida, NYC, D.C., San Diego, Kansas, Indiana, and Ohio. We used the time to travel as a family, see the country and had a great time in the process. Lots of families take vacations every year. I'm not a beach guy, so I forego the summer house on the cape and instead spent a few extra days in the Rockies. You consider this a bad thing?

As for skiing, my boards and rest of the setup costs about $1500. I used to exclusively forego lifts, but with a family now I've scaled it back. Spent about $1000 on my kids gear. Lift tickets when we go run about $300 for us three, and when you add in meals and gas it's a $400 day. Times 4-5 times a winter, that's $2k. We have (depending on soccer schedule) gone for a few days over winter break. Add in another $2k for hotel and meals. So, that's anywhere from $3-6k per year on skiing. No Olympic dreams, no scholarship plans, just some time enjoying the fresh air and exercise with the family. And, here's the thing: Most people who ski spend a lot more than that. They go every weekend. Many have better equipment, and some do trips out West. We have a small family, so it would be even more. So, it's a much larger impact on the wallet than soccer ever will be.

So, you can say "it's not useful" but you must be a cold-hearted accountant. Our week in Colorado this summer was a trip that we will never forget. Family had a great time, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

What will come out of it in the end? Not much. Love of the game which hopefully will be passed to their kids; love of the outdoors and other pursuits which will hopefully passed to their kids. A weekend away from work and stress just with the family: priceless.

Comment

Just curious what boys club played in Colorado this summer?

Comment

Just curious what boys club played in Colorado this summer?
                    It was girls, but the rant about why playing club-level soccer is constant and crosses genders. If you want to say this is a boys-only discussion, fine...

Comment

Do you spend $8-10k on any of those other endeavors each year? Do you sit on pins and needles and hammer your kid in the car after their recital or ski trip? You missed the 4th gate and came out of your crouch about halfway down, i guess we need some more private lessons. Wow, you missed 3 notes on the 2nd verse and really blew the crescendo! If your kid is happy, have fun and stop worrying about what anyone else thinks. You will realize how much your kid gave up to be a role player far after the time to fix it is gone. And, for most DA players, the amount of $$ they are expecting to get to play college soccer is far less (if any) than what they actually get ..... whatever payoff you think you are going to get will far be exceeded by what your kid has given up .... even if it is just playing in front of the town under the lights on several weekday nights. God bless if you are happy with the return, but there is no professional dream realization for 99.99% of DA and college $ is scant.

Comment

Do you spend $8-10k on any of those other endeavors each year? Do you sit on pins and needles and hammer your kid in the car after their recital or ski trip? You missed the 4th gate and came out of your crouch about halfway down, i guess we need some more private lessons. Wow, you missed 3 notes on the 2nd verse and really blew the crescendo! If your kid is happy, have fun and stop worrying about what anyone else thinks. You will realize how much your kid gave up to be a role player far after the time to fix it is gone. And, for most DA players, the amount of $$ they are expecting to get to play college soccer is far less (if any) than what they actually get ..... whatever payoff you think you are going to get will far be exceeded by what your kid has given up .... even if it is just playing in front of the town under the lights on several weekday nights. God bless if you are happy with the return, but there is no professional dream realization for 99.99% of DA and college $ is scant.
                        To answer your questions:

-Close to it, but I also don't spend that much on DA either unless you add it extending the trip and bringing the family (so it goes into a vacation budget)

-No, but we don't race nor do recitals. I expect those who do, do.

-No racing, so no gates to miss

-You have no idea what skill-level my kid is so I don't know why they were referred to as a "role player". But, even if they are...so what?

-You are the one who brings up payoff. I have my suspicions why. If you look at a dollar spent has to have a dollar rewarded on the back end, then there will be no enjoyment in life. You are the one who has made an assumption that the only reason to play high-level soccer is for an ROI. Therefore, it's a waste for most. If that were the only factor, you would be correct. But, it's not. Is it a consideration? Yes. Like many, we are planning for college. If there is help along the way, great. Is it the plan? No.

My kid likes to be tested. Overcome obstacles. I think it's a gift and will help them down the road. Sure, I suppose they could just let the flaps down and coast and just play in the playground. But, that's not how they work.

You say "If your kid is happy, have fun and stop worrying about what anyone else thinks" but the same goes for you. If your kid is having fun, then stop worrying about everyone else and just enjoy it yourself. Stop projecting.

Comment

It was girls, but the rant about why playing club-level soccer is constant and crosses genders. If you want to say this is a boys-only discussion, fine...
                          Well the thread started with BOYS: No $$$ for you so play High School. You chose to make this a girls discussion but it is apples and oranges. The scholarship money available to boys is minute in comparison to that available to girls. Have fun on your mini vacations. Good thing you are not looking for scholarship money for your daughter as NPL kids won't be looking at top schools or much money unless they are truly top of their team. Which she might be but it won't matter to you because you don't need the $$$.

Comment

Well the thread started with BOYS: No $$$ for you so play High School. You chose to make this a girls discussion but it is apples and oranges. The scholarship money available to boys is minute in comparison to that available to girls. Have fun on your mini vacations. Good thing you are not looking for scholarship money for your daughter as NPL kids won't be looking at top schools or much money unless they are truly top of their team. Which she might be but it won't matter to you because you don't need the $$$.
                            Understood. But, it's not quite apples and oranges. More like apples and pears.

And, not that it matters but she no longer plays in NPL.

I never said I don't need the money. I would love it, but won't count on it.

For arguments sake, to you or anyone else, do you take family vacations every year? How many? Where? How much do those cost?

Comment

Understood. But, it's not quite apples and oranges. More like apples and pears.

And, not that it matters but she no longer plays in NPL.

I never said I don't need the money. I would love it, but won't count on it.

For arguments sake, to you or anyone else, do you take family vacations every year? How many? Where? How much do those cost?
                              Why keep bringing it back to your family vacations. OP made a valid point on the boys side. Apples to pears? No apples to oranges.

NCAA Division I men's Soccer teams have an average roster size of 29 players but only a maximum of 9.9 athletic scholarships to award per team. This means the average award covers only about 1/3 of a typical athlete's annual college costs - and this assumes the sport is fully funded at the sponsoring school. 224 D1 boys teams vs 333 D1 girls teams. 16% foreign boys competing for spots vs 6 % on the girls side.

Pretty sure you are glad to have a girl.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X