Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you tell me the age and team and date. I can send a text to one of the coaches I know.
    The NYCFC game 01/02, from Saturday, Oct 28th. Thank you, Sir!

Comment

Lets talk WNY soccer.

Within Buffalo soccer, there are multiple high level soccer clubs: GPS, Empire Buffalo, WNY Flash, Buffalo Soccer Academy (BSA). There are also a number of travel level clubs which could be strong (Amherst, Delaware, Niagara Pioneer, Lancaster).

Within Rochester and Syracuse, its the same story. Multiple elite clubs and multiple "strong travel clubs". Rochester Futbol Club, Empire Rochester, DMS, Chili, SDA, United Soccer Alliance, etc.

Why is it that Empire United is the only USSDA team within the whole area?

Doesn't it seem like Buffalo (and Rochester, and Syracuse) are capable of putting together a "best of city" team to play in the USSDA league?

I'm not sure that the current Empire team which takes players from all areas is actually stronger than a "best of buffalo team" or "best of Rochester team", given that the travel involved must keep some kids out. I also think that the various elite clubs within each city get slightly diluted of talent when some of the best go to play for empire. So, we are left with a good but not perfect product in Empire, and we are left with a bunch of elite clubs which are not great.

Thoughts?
      Girls side is all I know
      Empire united was the king. It had a decent model, start kids playing local and then unite kids at an older age. Only one hour travel from Syracuse and buffalo to Rochester, so not a huge commitment in this day and age. They had some good coaching. Problem was internal strife. Then some parents got pissed and everything went south. Syracuse broke off and sda took off. Parents were so angry, some players drove from Rochester to either sda of bsa in buffalo rather than stay at empire. Empire didn’t get ecnl at first either. Kids would play on the pa ecnl team and travel on weekends rather than stay at empire. They had plenty of fields and indoor training turf and even local pro teams to tie into.

They just couldn’t keep thier sheet together....shame.

Comment

Honestly, that isn't even news, it happens at almost every competitive travel club. Parents simply refuse to accept the notion of being 2nd class subscribers. EU is no different than clubs down my way like NYSC, Albertson, World Class, and yes even the evil PDA. Sad, but such is life...was before...is now...and forever shall be...Amen.

Comment

No. I think you have to be a realist about the players technical and tactical ability within each city and age group. Its impossible for each city in Upstate to generate the same player pool as NY city or Philadelphia etc... Example Orlando City gets about 1200 kids for any given tryouts at the 02 age group. We may get maybe 40 to 50 per city. So Orlando will have a much higher probability to select 20 A+ players for their DA team in the 01/02 group. We may get 5 per city per team. How will we compete with teams that just have frankly more talent and a larger pool. That is the reality at this level of soccer and to add everyone to the league will not help develop solid good players vs cities that frankly dwarf us in numbers. It is the same in Europe as players are from all over the map. Again the fault with us soccer "no residency program allowing players to reside and train cost free." Clubs and coaches would freely select the best player if it did not affect the bottom line. MLS clubs are starting to do this.

How will having 3 DA teams help Upstate NY in terms of soccer? Other than line the wallets of a club with additional monies and give them the me too argument. We have plenty of those right now in the Thruway league, Regional league from us youth soccer and us club soccer. Plenty of clubs competing, but look at their results year over year and we dont always land in the finals. You can see the same performance result after each state cup final. Win here loose at Regionals or Nationals. I may not agree with everything, but the Empire United Academy may be the best way for WNY kids to play at a level beyond their individual comfort zone. The crappy part yes you will have to travel.
          Hey its better than traveling 4 to 5hrs to another DA.
          Again my 2 cents.
          Having a large population as a pre-requisite makes sense. Lets review to compare the populations involved: Lets take Buffalo and Rochester. Each city metro area has a population of about 1.1 million. Lets compare that to the DA teams in the Great Lakes Region
          * Cincinnati United Premier: Services Cincinnati, metro population 2.1 million.
          * Crew SC Academy: Services Columbus, metro population 2.0 million.
          * Crew SC Academy Wolves: Services Detroit, metro population 4.3 million.
          * Fort Wayne United FC: Services Fort Wayne, metro population 0.4 million.
          * Indiana Fire Academy: Services Indianapolis, metro population 2.0 million.
          * Internationals: Services Cleveland, metro population 2.0 million.
          * Vardar: Services Detroit (2nd Detroit team), metro population 4.3 million.
          ** Summary: 2 million per team, except for the Fort Wayne outlier.

Compare to the DA teams in Carolina Region:
          * Carolina Rapids: Services north Charlotte, metro population 2.5 million.
          * Charlotte Soccer Academy: Services SE Charlotte (2nd Charlotte team), metro poulation 2.5 million.
          * Charlotte Soccer Academy North: Appears to be u12 only. Services north Charlotte (3rd Charlotte team), metro poulation 2.5 million.
          * Discoveries Soccer Club: Appears to be u12 only. Services south Charlotte (4th Charlotte team kind of) and very north Columbia SC, metro population ???
          * ISL FC: Services Charlotte (5th Charlotte team), metro population 2.5 million.
          * North Carolina FC Youth: Services Raleigh, metro population 2.0 million.
          * North Carolina FC Youth Del Sol: u12 only. Services Raleigh
          * North Carolina FC Youth South: Services Raleigh, metro population 2.0 million.
          * North Carolina Fusion: Services Greensboro, metro population 1.6 million.
          ** Summary: 3 all-age Charlotte teams plus 2 u12 teams. So the population per team is 500k (using 5 teams) or 850k (using 3 teams). The 2-3 Raleigh teams are between 700k (using 3 teams) to 1 million (using 2 teams).

Compare to the teams in Florida North:
          * Armada FC Pro Academy: Services Jacksonville, metro pop 1.6m.
          * Chargers SC: Services Tampa, metro pop 3.0m.
          * Florida Rush Soccer Club: Services Orlando, metro pop 2.4m.
          * IMG Academy: Services Tampa (2nd team), metro pop 3.0m.
          * Orlando City SC: Services Orlando (2nd team), metro pop 2.4m.
          * Players Club of Tampa Bay: Services Tampa (3rd team), metro pop 3.0m.
          * TBU Rowdies: Services Tampa (4th team), metro pop 3.0m.
          ** Summary: Tampa teams are at 1million per team. Orlando teams are at 1.2m per team. Jacksonville at 1.6m per team.

So, in summary, if Buffalo and Rochester each had a single DA team, that would be reasonable.

Comment

Having a large population as a pre-requisite makes sense. Lets review to compare the populations involved: Lets take Buffalo and Rochester. Each city metro area has a population of about 1.1 million. Lets compare that to the DA teams in the Great Lakes Region

* Charlotte Soccer Academy: Services SE Charlotte (2nd Charlotte team), metro poulation 2.5 million.
            * Charlotte Soccer Academy North: Appears to be u12 only. Services north Charlotte (3rd Charlotte team), metro poulation 2.5 million.
            * Discoveries Soccer Club: Appears to be u12 only. Services south Charlotte (4th Charlotte team kind of) and very north Columbia SC, metro population ???
            * ISL FC: Services Charlotte (5th Charlotte team), metro population 2.5 million.
            * North Carolina FC Youth South: Services Raleigh, metro population 2.0 million.
            ** Summary: 3 all-age Charlotte teams plus 2 u12 teams. So the population per team is 500k (using 5 teams) or 850k (using 3 teams). The 2-3 Raleigh teams are between 700k (using 3 teams) to 1 million (using 2 teams).

** Summary: Tampa teams are at 1million per team. Orlando teams are at 1.2m per team. Jacksonville at 1.6m per team.

So, in summary, if Buffalo and Rochester each had a single DA team, that would be reasonable.
            Dude, do you work for NASA??

Comment

Western NY - Buffalo vs Rochester vs Syracuse

No and no!!!. Why try to fix what is not broken. Again I appreciate your gusto in having more than one club have a DA team. And if you followed the GDA last year they had allowed WNY Flash the DA on the girls side. And they also gave it to EU later in the selection process. WNY Flash got it because they were a womans pro club as the MLS clubs are on the mens side. To be a member of the US Soccer DA league its not as just saying I want to be part of it. Please review us soccers da application process. I dont know to many clubs in either rochester or buffalo that have teams and coaches for each age group. EU still stands out there overall. There is another caviat for upstate when considering the DA we are 100s of miles from the nearest competitor. All the locations you have pointed out are easily driven in a few hrs at best. For EU and Montreal they have to drive 5 to 7 hrs for a game and us soccer does not like kids being slept multiple hrs and days to play. Thats unfortunatly another variable considered when they pick a club. Just enjoy the fact that at least we have the opportunity to have a local da club. No its not perfect but its the only one here right now.

Comment

Western NY - Buffalo vs Rochester vs Syracuse

The NYCFC game 01/02, from Saturday, Oct 28th. Thank you, Sir!
                Response from EU staff games are available to the coaching staff on Hidl. Please ask your NYCFC coach to share link with you. I know the coaching staff shares the link with their teams for review after each game. I know some da clubs were posting some games on youtube the past few years. But I think now they put them on this new site.

"If we have it. It will be on Hidl . They know that they can get it from there ."
                My understanding is NYCFC puts their recorded games on the same site/server. You may have to ask your coaching staff to provide you a link to it. Let me know if this helps.

Comment

Response from EU staff games are available to the coaching staff on Hidl. Please ask your NYCFC coach to share link with you. I know the coaching staff shares the link with their teams for review after each game. I know some da clubs were posting some games on youtube the past few years. But I think now they put them on this new site.

"If we have it. It will be on Hidl . They know that they can get it from there ."
                  My understanding is NYCFC puts their recorded games on the same site/server. You may have to ask your coaching staff to provide you a link to it. Let me know if this helps.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Somewhat off the thread theme, but my son is interested in RIT for school (computers ) but is also interested in soccer. He's getting D1 and D3 interest but really doesn't want a D1 job. Any scoop on the coach or program would be appreciated!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X