Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Winter Training Gear

Looks like clubs are going to train as much outdoors this winter even up here in the Northeast with uncertainty of indoor centers being available. I support this as we ski anyway but looking for tips, brands for gear to play soccer in outdoors when its in the 20s and 30s. Regular soccer socks aren't made of wool. I am thinking insulated snow pants would be tough to run in.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Looks like clubs are going to train as much outdoors this winter even up here in the Northeast with uncertainty of indoor centers being available. I support this as we ski anyway but looking for tips, brands for gear to play soccer in outdoors when its in the 20s and 30s. Regular soccer socks aren't made of wool. I am thinking insulated snow pants would be tough to run in.
    Duh, layers just like skiing. Long johns under sweat pants and layers up top, all of which can be shed if they get too warm. Ear warmers or hats - hats might get too hot but your ears get cold easily. Probably a thin wool sock with a soccer sock over that. Obviously gloves, maybe bring a thin pair and a warmer pair to adjust as needed. Coaches need to keep players moving. It doesn't take long for a chill to set in if you're sitting/standing around

Comment

Honestly, if they are training they will warm up fast. Some wear leggings under their shorts and long sleeves under their shorts (i.e. Under Armor). Gloves for some, and a skullcap/headband. Maybe a sweatshirt/warm-up top. If they are training and not standing around, that will be fine.

When they are not playing, then you put on a thick overcoat.

Please don't be the parent that dresses your kid with big ski mittens and a hat with a pom-pom on the top and a giant parka. Please.

Comment

Duh, layers just like skiing. Long johns under sweat pants and layers up top, all of which can be shed if they get too warm. Ear warmers or hats - hats might get too hot but your ears get cold easily. Probably a thin wool sock with a soccer sock over that. Obviously gloves, maybe bring a thin pair and a warmer pair to adjust as needed. Coaches need to keep players moving. It doesn't take long for a chill to set in if you're sitting/standing around
        Agreed, but not the extra socks. Soccer is a feel game with your feet, you don't want to be adding extra socks. The ball won't feel right, will make your boots too compressed (making your feet actually colder).

Comment

Just long wool socks, no soccer socks?

Comment

experienced coaches will offer plenty of stretching and warm-up I hope or injuries on cold days.
            Lots of moving with little standing.
            water bottle room temp so it doesn't freeze, and cocoa in the thermos.

Comment

Personally, I always wore the exact same sock combination, no matter the weather, in a high-activity sport (climbing, skiing, soccer, etc.). Your boots break in a certain way, and keeping that consistent keeps your feet comfortable.

Comment

silk socks under the soccer socks

Comment

Toe warmers. My son never liked them but lots of his teammates used them.

Comment

Yes. They're warmer and are better at wicking away moisture than soccer socks. Moisture touching skin is the enemy when it's cold out

Comment

Don’t think either MYSA or US Club Soccer advocate playing in freezing temperatures. A good coach wouldn’t risk illness or injury to players at sub-freezing temps. Little benefit to practice in those conditions. Upper 30’s-low 40’s maybe, but not below that.

Comment

Don’t think either MYSA or US Club Soccer advocate playing in freezing temperatures. A good coach wouldn’t risk illness or injury to players at sub-freezing temps. Little benefit to practice in those conditions. Upper 30’s-low 40’s maybe, but not below that.
                        We've had very mild winters the last several years. Plenty of days well over 35+

Comment

We've had very mild winters the last several years. Plenty of days well over 35+
                          After this year, you will see more and more clubs seek facilities with outside fields to rent versus indoor. With outdoor turf being more available, there will be less of a demand for indoors.

Comment

Karen don’t be such a wimp. We can ski, sled, skate outside but not kick a ball?
                            Guess you think people on Canada watch tv all winter?
                            People train for marathons outside in the Northeast all winter. It’s good for you.

Comment

Karen don’t be such a wimp. We can ski, sled, skate outside but not kick a ball?
                              Guess you think people on Canada watch tv all winter?
                              People train for marathons outside in the Northeast all winter. It’s good for you.
                              I lived in northern MN for several years. Freakin' miserable winters even for this New Englander. They do everything outside unless it's well below zero and a blizzard. So do any Nordic countries. You'd go nuts otherwise because the winter is so long. It's all about the mentality and wearing the right things.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X