Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wait? What? Wealthy white kids play soccer? In other news water is wet and the sky is blue.
    A white person who gets me.

Comment

A white person who gets me.
      Your post shows your maturity and intelligence (or lack thereof). Massachusetts is 80% white, 8% black, 7% asian, etc. I don't see a difference in the MA soccer demographics. As a matter of fact I have attended club programs where 80% was non-white.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tts-population

Comment

Your post shows your maturity and intelligence (or lack thereof). Massachusetts is 80% white, 8% black, 7% asian, etc. I don't see a difference in the MA soccer demographics. As a matter of fact I have attended club programs where 80% was non-white.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...tts-population
        Are you contending that the racial make up of the list of private school college commits at issue in this thread is the same as the Massachusetts demographics?

Comment

Are you contending that the racial make up of the list of private school college commits at issue in this thread is the same as the Massachusetts demographics?
          No, I am the one saying that no one in TS knows all of the racial profiles or scholarship status of all the kids on the commitment list.

Then the white privilege poster said that 'wealthy white kids play soccer...'. The reality is that soccer in MA is played by kids that match the demographic of the state. In other words, I don't believe that soccer in MA is made up 100% of wealthy white kids. My kids HS and club teams have a mix or races and nationalities.

Comment

No, I am the one saying that no one in TS knows all of the racial profiles or scholarship status of all the kids on the commitment list.

Then the white privilege poster said that 'wealthy white kids play soccer...'. The reality is that soccer in MA is played by kids that match the demographic of the state. In other words, I don't believe that soccer in MA is made up 100% of wealthy white kids. My kids HS and club teams have a mix or races and nationalities.
            The commit list is wealthy and white.

Comment

Six

The commit list is wealthy and white.
              You are right.... not all but must. It’s just a statement of fact and anyone who has an 02 boy who is still playing knows these players and what they look like. Again, just a statement of fact. Hats off to the none preppies who are on the list too

Comment

GPS is radioactive which is why no players want to list them in their bios. All those players needed to leave GPS to get the exposure necessary to commit.
                others can hate them if they want, but my kids GPS play helped get him into school and a large scholarship to 'boot'.

Comment

others can hate them if they want, but my kids GPS play helped get him into school and a large scholarship to 'boot'.
                  Boys don’t get “large scholarships” for soccer. Lower income parents get financial aid.

Comment

Boys don’t get “large scholarships” for soccer. Lower income parents get financial aid.
                    100%. A starting GK, maybe 1-2 other studs get really solid athletic money. The rest get some token $, I think about $10K on average, and worse if there's a large number of foreign players on the roster. A total package can be made better with financial and merit $ but the school determines that, not the coach. The higher incomes of many soccer families will disqualify them, and at many schools your grades have to be well above average to get merit$. Focus on grades - you'll have more options and better deals.

Comment

Focus on grades - you'll have more options and better deals.
                      Grades is the key word. I know wealthy parents rejoice in rigor. Rigor gets you into fancy pants private liberal arts colleges where you pay full freight. Grades get you merit at normal schools. We know students that took honors classes rather than AP's and got all A's which gave them a great unweighted GPA. Other students that killed themselves with AP's and got A's and B's didn't earn as much merit money because their unweighted GPA was lower.

Comment

Grades is the key word. I know wealthy parents rejoice in rigor. Rigor gets you into fancy pants private liberal arts colleges where you pay full freight. Grades get you merit at normal schools. We know students that took honors classes rather than AP's and got all A's which gave them a great unweighted GPA. Other students that killed themselves with AP's and got A's and B's didn't earn as much merit money because their unweighted GPA was lower.
                        Not sure I am following the math...

An A+ in Honors is a 4.5 and an A+ for AP is a 5.

An A in Honors is a 4.5 and a B in AP is 4.

A mix of A's and B's in AP will most likely result in the same GPA as all A's in Honors. But, you will be showing college admissions that you pushed and took harder courses by taking AP's. It might not seem like the difference in Honors or AP is a big deal but it is. Also, by taking AP's you can take the test to bypass certain college classes if you score high enough. I know someone who had their kid take all AP's and tested out of some classes. The kid then took an extra class each semester and graduated from Fordham in 3 years. Saved him a years tuition.

I'm not trying to argue...just giving a different perspective. I have two in college and one applying now.

Comment

Not sure I am following the math...

An A+ in Honors is a 4.5 and an A+ for AP is a 5.

An A in Honors is a 4.5 and a B in AP is 4.

A mix of A's and B's in AP will most likely result in the same GPA as all A's in Honors. But, you will be showing college admissions that you pushed and took harder courses by taking AP's. It might not seem like the difference in Honors or AP is a big deal but it is. Also, by taking AP's you can take the test to bypass certain college classes if you score high enough. I know someone who had their kid take all AP's and tested out of some classes. The kid then took an extra class each semester and graduated from Fordham in 3 years. Saved him a years tuition.

I'm not trying to argue...just giving a different perspective. I have two in college and one applying now.
                          Not the poster but not all districts treat it the same. For example ours doesn't scale up a C in honors or AP, only As and Bs. So it's a C all day long and will actually lower your GPA. Learned that the hard way with kid #1. Only do honors or AP classes if you're pretty confident you can pull off a B- or better. Most schools want your unweighted GPA anyway or ask for both.

The AP thing is a bit of a scam because plenty of kids won't test out of college courses. But I also know plenty who have, one also shaving off a year between AP classes and summer college accredited classes at the very pricey school they're attending. Shaving off a year is huge, even a semester is fantastic, but it often doesn't result in that

Comment

Max D1 scholarships are 9.9. Only colleges that actually have the MAX number to use are UCLA, Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford and etc.. BC and UConn are the only local schools that might offer close to the max #. The majority of the soccer parents are paying full price and they have a difficult with that understanding after spending all the money for club soccer, reclassifying their son at a private school and etc.. Suckers....

Comment

Max D1 scholarships are 9.9. Only colleges that actually have the MAX number to use are UCLA, Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford and etc.. BC and UConn are the only local schools that might offer close to the max #. The majority of the soccer parents are paying full price and they have a difficult with that understanding after spending all the money for club soccer, reclassifying their son at a private school and etc.. Suckers....
                              There are local D1 schools with less than 40% funding.

Comment

You have no idea what you are talking about. First, most folks arent paying money for club soccer in order to get a scholarship down the road. They pay for club soccer because it is worth it for the experience--not looking for any other ROI than enjoyment. Second, if you look at the list of schools above, nearly all of them are very hard to get into, with a huge percentage of qualified kids getting rejected from these places every year. Recruiting is an admission ticket--it can get your kid into a school that they otherwise might have little to no shot at.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X