Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So have a pen in their hand in a picture is the problem? Sounds ridiculously childish to care about something like that.
    (Parent) posters claim their D1 athletes are upset by this. I can tell you my two couldn't have cared less. They were excited for all their classmates no matter where they were playing - and BTW plenty of D1 and D2 athletes aren't getting a nickel participate in those "fake signings" too.

Comment

So have a pen in their hand in a picture is the problem? Sounds ridiculously childish to care about something like that.
      NLI signing day should be reserved for athletes actually signing an NLI. It's a legally binding contract and represents a commitment on behalf of the student athlete and the educational institution. The ritual of having ALL college bound athletes celebrated on NLI signing day, epitomizes the "everyone gets a trophy" culture.

Comment

NLI signing day should be reserved for athletes actually signing an NLI. It's a legally binding contract and represents a commitment on behalf of the student athlete and the educational institution. The ritual of having ALL college bound athletes celebrated on NLI signing day, epitomizes the "everyone gets a trophy" culture.
        as another said above there are D1 and D2 athletes not receiving any monies that participate in these posed pictures also. The kids, high schools and club want to celebrate their athletes as they should. I've no issue with it. I agree it's the parents who get their panties in a bunch most of the time.

Comment

I believe if no aid, then really a guaranteed walk on spot. Or parents can afford to pay fullly. Remember, they need practice players as well. Playing sports in college is a great accomplishment, regardless of level; Parents & friends should be proud.
          D1 college soccer rosters have a very limited number of spots where kids get money. I think it is like 9 out of 30. The reality is that if two kids are of equal playing ability and one kid is from a low income family and one is a high income family then the low income kid gets the money. So...the kid that didn't get a scholarship because his parents have money shouldn't enjoy a few minutes of the spotlight for years of hard work and sacrifice? Sounds petty. I am not a purist...if a kid is accepted to a college and offered a spot on the team then he/she should be able to take a picture...with or without a pen in their hand.

Comment

as another said above there are D1 and D2 athletes not receiving any monies that participate in these posed pictures also. The kids, high schools and club want to celebrate their athletes as they should. I've no issue with it. I agree it's the parents who get their panties in a bunch most of the time.
            I don't get my "panties in a bunch" over it and I don't care what Division athletics a kid plans to pursue in college, It just doesn't make sense to me to have kids who are not signing an NLI, pretend that they are signing an NLI and pose for a pic on NLI signing day.

Comment

I don't get my "panties in a bunch" over it and I don't care what Division athletics a kid plans to pursue in college, It just doesn't make sense to me to have kids who are not signing an NLI, pretend that they are signing an NLI and pose for a pic on NLI signing day.
              So don't put a pen in their hands Problem solved. Just take a picture saying "these athletes are playing in college."

Comment

So don't put a pen in their hands Problem solved. Just take a picture saying "these athletes are playing in college."
                Absolutely...just not on NLI signing day.

Comment

Yes!

I don't have any problem with celebrating. I do have a problem with anyone that intentionally misleads to outright lies. Don't even know why this is a question.

I nor other posters are "petty" for calling out this deception. The parents (and I do believe it's parents) that either a) thrust their kids into an event that doesn't apply to them, or b) posture for the unknowing that their kid is "signing" are far more guilty of being petty.

Comment

Yes!

I don't have any problem with celebrating. I do have a problem with anyone that intentionally misleads to outright lies. Don't even know why this is a question.

I nor other posters are "petty" for calling out this deception. The parents (and I do believe it's parents) that either a) thrust their kids into an event that doesn't apply to them, or b) posture for the unknowing that their kid is "signing" are far more guilty of being petty.
                    Lighten up. How could this possibly bother you? Deception? Lies? You are a dink. Let the kids enjoy it. Who cares.

Comment

Know of one wealthy player who received a $200 scholarship who committed to a very good t50 school last year. Players and parents were talking about this last year because it appears the scholarship was given just so this player could sign an NLI. To me that would be the bigger lie. With rosters expanding due to financial woes of colleges, look for a lot of players to fake sign NLIs. To say a kid earned a "spot" is a joke in light of the college admissions scandal. So many coaches are going to offer full paying students "spots" because the school as directed them to do so. If a player wants to announce their commitment with a party or what not, do it. But why have them pretend to sign something on the day designated as a day kids sign an actual contract? Isn't this the everyone gets a participation trophy mentality?

Comment

Know of one wealthy player who received a $200 scholarship who committed to a very good t50 school last year. Players and parents were talking about this last year because it appears the scholarship was given just so this player could sign an NLI. To me that would be the bigger lie. With rosters expanding due to financial woes of colleges, look for a lot of players to fake sign NLIs. To say a kid earned a "spot" is a joke in light of the college admissions scandal. So many coaches are going to offer full paying students "spots" because the school as directed them to do so. If a player wants to announce their commitment with a party or what not, do it. But why have them pretend to sign something on the day designated as a day kids sign an actual contract? Isn't this the everyone gets a participation trophy mentality?
                        How could this possibly bother you? I am amazed every year how many parents get their panties in a bunch over this stuff. Life is short. Take a deep breath and move on. It’s really not a big deal. You are shallow and childish to bitch about this.

Comment

Absolutely...just not on NLI signing day.
                          Why not? Literally no one but other athletes know it's signing day. The grandparents don't know or care. The people who get the local paper don't care. Don't have kids pose with pen/fake letter, wear their gear, take a picture.

Comment

But in those posed pics they're not signing the actual contract.

Comment

How could this possibly bother you? I am amazed every year how many parents get their panties in a bunch over this stuff. Life is short. Take a deep breath and move on. It’s really not a big deal. You are shallow and childish to bitch about this.
                              Can you imagine if this was a school assembly and they called up seniors who earned a merit scholarship for college and then had anyone who planned on attending said college also come up to the stage and be recognized? It would be so ridiculous. Participation trophy syndrome is a form a privilege that diminishes the accomplishments of other people to make people those who didn't earn it feel better. Why not just have a "Commitment Day" on another day? Why insist on doing it on a day designated for people signing an actual contract? How is this any different than acknowledging the academic achievements of scholarship winners during ceremonies?

Comment

Why not? Literally no one but other athletes know it's signing day. The grandparents don't know or care. The people who get the local paper don't care. Don't have kids pose with pen/fake letter, wear their gear, take a picture.
                                Athletes that have earned the right to sign an NLI do care. That's simply not true. And they discuss this on social media. If it's not a big deal, then why insist on signing in on NLI day? If you chose a great D3 school, pick another day. Maybe have a D3 Commitment Day! Wouldn't this solve any misunderstanding while honoring the accomplishments of the athlete?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X