Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ouch. Going out on a limb here and thinking you should have asked one of those NESAC grads to do spellcheck for you first.
    ummmm

Comment

COVID has shone a bright light on the fact that elite D3s have never had any real substance to their claim of superior "Academics". Take away the campus experience, and the professors must stand, I mean zoom, on their own merit. Families pay a premium for the D3 experience, and the accompanying status.

"Academics" is just a socially acceptable way to express elitism and a desire for class segregation.
      Massive gap year numbers exposed the fallacy of the tippy-top D3 nonsense.

Comment

COVID has shone a bright light on the fact that elite D3s have never had any real substance to their claim of superior "Academics". Take away the campus experience, and the professors must stand, I mean zoom, on their own merit. Families pay a premium for the D3 experience, and the accompanying status.

"Academics" is just a socially acceptable way to express elitism and a desire for class segregation.
        Couple things here...

1. If one college has more money than another college then the education is better at the college that has more money. If you can pay better teachers, have smaller class sizes, more resources, etc then yes...it is a better education. If Pine Manor is $35,000 and Amherst is $67,000 then you will most likely get a better education at the one with more resources.

2. Your argument is focused on class superiority. However I would prefer to send my kid to a school with an endowment so that the school has a chance at survival after a couple years (Example: Mount Ida). Amherst has almost $2.5 billion in endowments and Pine Manor has $11 million. Where would you prefer to send your kid. Covid is going to cause financial problems for colleges and universities and the smaller/weaker/less funded institutions are in trouble.

Comment

Couple things here...

1. If one college has more money than another college then the education is better at the college that has more money. If you can pay better teachers, have smaller class sizes, more resources, etc then yes...it is a better education. If Pine Manor is $35,000 and Amherst is $67,000 then you will most likely get a better education at the one with more resources.

2. Your argument is focused on class superiority. However I would prefer to send my kid to a school with an endowment so that the school has a chance at survival after a couple years (Example: Mount Ida). Amherst has almost $2.5 billion in endowments and Pine Manor has $11 million. Where would you prefer to send your kid. Covid is going to cause financial problems for colleges and universities and the smaller/weaker/less funded institutions are in trouble.
          Even before Covid it was a good idea to take a look at a school's financials but now it's essential. My nephew is at a top 100 school but their financials are not great and they're slicing faculty left and right which obviously impacts that quality of his education moving forward. How a school has handled Covid in terms of testing, communication, giving faculty and students what they need in terms of technology etc also matters. Some schools really have their act together and some are a mess

Comment

Crickets.

chirp chirp chirp chirp

Comment

I don't want to punish anyone, just noting that kids who are not signing NLIs should not pose and pretend to sign NLIs on NLI signing day. It's really a simple concept. So far there have been analogies of kids pretending to be in Honor Societies that they are not, kids having Happy Birthday sung to them when it's not their birthday, yet for some reason you still think a kid who is not signing an NLI should be included in NLI signing day, lol. Let it go...you are beating a deda horse.
              D1 school recruiting my daughter told her that with seniors coming back, etc. they weren't giving scholarships to 2022s. So no NLI but said they would want her to sign a "commitment letter" which I assume is just a non-binding letter saying you're attending or something. Maybe trying to make kids feel good? Not sure what the point would be otherwise.

Comment

D1 school recruiting my daughter told her that with seniors coming back, etc. they weren't giving scholarships to 2022s. So no NLI but said they would want her to sign a "commitment letter" which I assume is just a non-binding letter saying you're attending or something. Maybe trying to make kids feel good? Not sure what the point would be otherwise.
                Interesting. With no money to give they know they won't be a top pick for some players they really want. At the same time they want to know they have kids "locked" in. However, as you don't sign an NLI until November of senior year it's all non binding until that letter is signed.

Comment

Assuming your D is a '22 she wouldn't sign an NLI till Nov '21. Are they saying she makes a verbal now, and then signs a Commitment Letter to maintain ceremony?

Comment

No money, no ink. Keep your options open for a school that can pay.

Comment

Probably want them to think it's more of a "commitment " then it really is. It wouldn't be legally binding; nothing is legally binding until you sign a legit NLI. It almost seems a bit shady? Or is he doing it to assure players?? He wants to know your D will come but she could have walked up until next year even if he had offered her $. Part of recruiting is a big leap of faith on both sides.

Curious to see if other schools do something similar.

Comment

Probably want them to think it's more of a "commitment " then it really is. It wouldn't be legally binding; nothing is legally binding until you sign a legit NLI. It almost seems a bit shady? Or is he doing it to assure players?? He wants to know your D will come but she could have walked up until next year even if he had offered her $. Part of recruiting is a big leap of faith on both sides.

Screw that coach. Go D3 and never look back.

Comment

If you 'commit' then college coaches usually want you to do Early Decision (if the school offers it...which most do). ED is legally binding.

Comment

If you 'commit' then college coaches usually want you to do Early Decision (if the school offers it...which most do). ED is legally binding.
                            But like the NLI you won't know until Nov/Dec you're definitely in. Most schools will give you an early read but it's not final until you're admitted.

Comment

Screw that coach. Go D3 and never look back.
                              Have to agree it sounds a bit suspect. I mean if it's the kid's dream school, a great soccer fit where they should get good PT AND the family can afford it without the athletic money that's one thing. But if it's one of a few options the player has and the others have some $ then drop this one.

Comment

Have to agree it sounds a bit suspect. I mean if it's the kid's dream school, a great soccer fit where they should get good PT AND the family can afford it without the athletic money that's one thing. But if it's one of a few options the player has and the others have some $ then drop this one.
                                OP here. Good academic school that ticks a bunch of boxes in terms of what my kid wants. Coach is not a fraudster (based on reputation, history, etc.). Based on how they are dealing with my kid - who's a '22 - they are clearly interested. Reached out June 15, humping to get her on campus if they could with all the covid madness (hasn't happened), keeping in touch regularly with calls/texts. I think they just don't have money for '22s based on who's on scholarship now, who's coming back for seniors, and what they've promised the '21s.

Not pushing to sign this letter, but said as part of process instead of NLI, b/c there's no money, would have a commitment letter to sign. Not a big deal on our part, b/c other conversations with other schools going on and with no money there's no urgency to do anything about it. Was just passing along that seems some schools might be telling kids "here's a letter to sign" but not an NLI.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X