Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Low interest is probably correlated with the fact you can make more clerking at the gas station 30 hours a week than playing womens pro soccer.
    That's pretty humorous but sadly not far from the truth.

Comment

There is zero point in national pride in a huge country like this.

Giving up college would seem to be a very bad idea.

Abbey Wambach and Hope Solo are not role models.
      Nobody cares about the silly national team. Bad soccer.

Comment

I'm not the OP but I will respond that your assertion is odd. What is the top? I choose to raise my kids for big picture long term happiness not narrowly focused short term goals.

Who knows maybe there are some girls who in the big picture want to sacrifice relationships, teenage experiences, family time and holidays to try to make a national team. That's ok. But my experience is that balance leads to long term happiness. And a great college education is paramount.

Many of the national team players turn out to be pretty awful people.

Good luck with whatever direction you go. I can assure you the national team is far from the top compared to playing at a big time school.
        Please don't confuse decisions about what club you tryout and play for as having any relation to your chances of playing collegiate soccer or being a US National team member. Oregon has no club offerings or any coaches that will impact either of these outcomes, no club or coach can even move the needle on either of this fronts.

This type of discussion is not based in reality, it's a delusional rationalization due to the abhorrent state of club Soccer in Oregon.

Nobody is turning down spots on any Youth National teams from Oregon, simply because the aren't being offered. No one is getting a partial athletic scholarship because of their club choice.

Oregon is not talent rich in either Girls or Boys soccer, slapping a label on a club or league with that hope it's magically makes it meaningful and substanative really only helps magnify the gravity of mediocrity in Oregon.

Keep pushing the Brand it's called a hail mary.

Comment

I guess I'm the only one that suspects the North Korean team were actually about 50% male players?

Comment

Please don't confuse decisions about what club you tryout and play for as having any relation to your chances of playing collegiate soccer or being a US National team member. Oregon has no club offerings or any coaches that will impact either of these outcomes, no club or coach can even move the needle on either of this fronts.

This type of discussion is not based in reality, it's a delusional rationalization due to the abhorrent state of club Soccer in Oregon.

Nobody is turning down spots on any Youth National teams from Oregon, simply because the aren't being offered. No one is getting a partial athletic scholarship because of their club choice.

Oregon is not talent rich in either Girls or Boys soccer, slapping a label on a club or league with that hope it's magically makes it meaningful and substanative really only helps magnify the gravity of mediocrity in Oregon.

Keep pushing the Brand it's called a hail mary.
            Certainly no Timbers Alliance clubs that can "move the needle". Joining a Timbers club actually significantly DECREASES a kids chance of ever playing college soccer. That's why so many flee the Timbers clubs after U12.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1955148]Certainly no Timbers Alliance clubs that can "move the needle". Joining a Timbers club actually significantly DECREASES a kids chance of ever playing college soccer. That's why so many flee the Timbers clubs after U12.[/QUOTE

When your child gets older, you will realize how silly you've been for drinking the ECNL cool aid. It is not the be all, end all club. A good player will find a college team regardless of club affiliation. There are enough teams for those players who continue to play beyond high school. And who knows, your kid might decide to quit in a few years, so you just spent a considerable amount of time here in TS for nothing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1955168]
                Certainly no Timbers Alliance clubs that can "move the needle". Joining a Timbers club actually significantly DECREASES a kids chance of ever playing college soccer. That's why so many flee the Timbers clubs after U12.[/QUOTE

When your child gets older, you will realize how silly you've been for drinking the ECNL cool aid. It is not the be all, end all club. A good player will find a college team regardless of club affiliation. There are enough teams for those players who continue to play beyond high school. And who knows, your kid might decide to quit in a few years, so you just spent a considerable amount of time here in TS for nothing.
                They can, but the road is harder. There was a reason 70-80% of the annual college talent came from the two clubs that now have ECNL. It wasn't by accident.

Comment

I guess I'm the only one that suspects the North Korean team were actually about 50% male players?
                  No, I thought the same thing or they are actually all much older.

Comment

ECNL in Oregon accounts for about 1/4 of girls playing college soccer in Oregon.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1955168]
                      Certainly no Timbers Alliance clubs that can "move the needle". Joining a Timbers club actually significantly DECREASES a kids chance of ever playing college soccer. That's why so many flee the Timbers clubs after U12.[/QUOTE

Just the facts.

Comment

There is zero point in national pride in a huge country like this.

Giving up college would seem to be a very bad idea.

Abbey Wambach and Hope Solo are not role models.
                        They are however fun to party with and will be the driver in risky situations so they have that.

Comment

I find some of the post s here amazing. When the Women win anything the US team is the best in the world and should be paid for it. When they lose something. The other team were men they were older. I bunch of excuses. Welcome to the real world. Generally things are not as great or as bad as they are posted on Talking Soccer. However they real takeaway is the the rest of the world is catching up with American athleticism and that will not win titles anymore. The women coaching staff is poor. They have let a tremendous advantage disappear. American women team are frequently out coached. The college game is not helping. There are more scholarships than talent. This causes the talent to be diluted. You wind up with a few good players on each team. The training sessions are brought down to the lower level instead of being elevated. If you watched the Women's final four this weekend the most talented players were a few from West Virginia and Canadian. We need to stop this nonsense about everyone is elite and top opportunities for everyone and scholarships for everyone. I realize the professional women's soccer is a joke and does not pay anything therefore not a career opportunity. If you really want to advance women soccer have a pool of forty. Have them in one location, pay for their education thru college and have them train year round together. You can pull in college girls during breaks but the college game is hurting womens soccer. It is great for average and slightly about average girls to get an educational discount but it is not a place for world class athletes.

Comment

I find some of the post s here amazing. When the Women win anything the US team is the best in the world and should be paid for it. When they lose something. The other team were men they were older. I bunch of excuses. Welcome to the real world. Generally things are not as great or as bad as they are posted on Talking Soccer. However they real takeaway is the the rest of the world is catching up with American athleticism and that will not win titles anymore. The women coaching staff is poor. They have let a tremendous advantage disappear. American women team are frequently out coached. The college game is not helping. There are more scholarships than talent. This causes the talent to be diluted. You wind up with a few good players on each team. The training sessions are brought down to the lower level instead of being elevated. If you watched the Women's final four this weekend the most talented players were a few from West Virginia and Canadian. We need to stop this nonsense about everyone is elite and top opportunities for everyone and scholarships for everyone. I realize the professional women's soccer is a joke and does not pay anything therefore not a career opportunity. If you really want to advance women soccer have a pool of forty. Have them in one location, pay for their education thru college and have them train year round together. You can pull in college girls during breaks but the college game is hurting womens soccer. It is great for average and slightly about average girls to get an educational discount but it is not a place for world class athletes.
                            I agree with much of what you've stated. The last point though, is debatable as that model hasn't benefited the men's national team with the residency program.

Comment

Thats where I think you are wrong. From the surface yes the Men's team is not doing well. Especially right now. However I think the residency program and the DA are working. You have to look at things as a whole. US soccer is about 100 years younger than top european and South American soccer nations. We are fighting to close that gap. The residency program and the DA are now producing technically able players that are far more mature tactically than ever before. The U17 just beat three good european teams. Now I would not hang my hat on one tournament for good or bad but the players being produced not are very close to their European and south american counter parts. We have not produced the one world super star i.e.. Messi, Ronaldo but that happens very rarely.

However, on the women's side. We had a decade advantage. Lots of money put into girls sports. We were way ahead of all south american countries and most if not all european countries. Now there is no advantage. We have wasted it. A dozen countries have caught us and some have surpassed us.

So, the big picture. The men's program is still climbing while the women's is falling.

Comment

ECNL in Oregon accounts for about 1/4 of girls playing college soccer in Oregon.
                                If you are looking at the whole state you are probably right.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X