Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Club soccer is a pyramid scam....no, yours kids will never do anything with this crappy training...Never. Go have them do lots of other things and round out their lives you gullible dumb freaks.
    I have only been around Oregon youth soccer for about ten years. But in those ten years I have seen it change dramatically from a local oriented group focused on developing the youth soccer community to a fragmented money grab painted over with MLS and NT logos designed to suck more and more money out of parents hoping their child is the next Mia Hamm or Landon Donovan. By the time they realize that 99.99% of youth soccer participants end up with nothing more than a good game for city-league soccer, the koolaid is gone and the money is spent.

Comment

I have only been around Oregon youth soccer for about ten years. But in those ten years I have seen it change dramatically from a local oriented group focused on developing the youth soccer community to a fragmented money grab painted over with MLS and NT logos designed to suck more and more money out of parents hoping their child is the next Mia Hamm or Landon Donovan. By the time they realize that 99.99% of youth soccer participants end up with nothing more than a good game for city-league soccer, the koolaid is gone and the money is spent.
      Truth. The End.

Comment

Whilst St. Paul was able to do this, I can't, "suffer fools gladly".

Why are you even trying to explain your decisions on an anonymous forum?

If you had any confidence and no regrets about the decisions you have made and paid for , you would never ever elect rationalize them here and feel like you need to or must defend it on a toilet bowl forum such as this.

Just to be clear, if you want to keep it your business and your special fun time precious/sacred, keep it to yourself and relish your memories, because when you type on this site for others to read your peculiar vision of fun and intelligent spending it's very revealing and disturbing.

That's all.
        Confident and no regrets. Smiling and calm all along. Just like you, I simply like to read and share my experience and my perspective.

There are already plenty of antagonists who post on this forum.

What personal experience(s) do you draw from when you post "on a toilet bowl forum such as this?"

Comment

Winner.

Comment

Confident and no regrets. Smiling and calm all along. Just like you, I simply like to read and share my experience and my perspective.

There are already plenty of antagonists who post on this forum.

What personal experience(s) do you draw from when you post "on a toilet bowl forum such as this?"
            Finally a a case study has been verified on this forum of the 'compliance method' of brainwashing, thanks for you postings we wish you all the best in recovery.

In psychology, the study of brainwashing, often referred to as thought reform, falls into the sphere of "social influence." Social influence happens every minute of every day. It's the collection of ways in which people can change other people's attitudes, beliefs and behaviors. For instance, the compliance method aims to produce a change in a person's behavior and is not concerned with his attitudes or beliefs. It's the "Just do it" approach. Persuasion, on the other hand, aims for a change in attitude, or "Do it because it'll make you feel good/happy/healthy/successful." The education method (which is called the "propaganda method" when you don't believe in what's being taught) goes for the social-influence gold, trying to affect a change in the person's beliefs, along the lines of "Do it because you know it's the right thing to do." Brainwashing is a severe form of social influence that combine*s all of these approaches to cause changes in someone's way of thinking without that person's consent and often against his will.

Comment

Finally a a case study has been verified on this forum of the 'compliance method' of brainwashing, thanks for you postings we wish you all the best in recovery.

In psychology, the study of brainwashing, often referred to as thought reform, falls into the sphere of "social influence." Social influence happens every minute of every day. It's the collection of ways in which people can change other people's attitudes, beliefs and behaviors. For instance, the compliance method aims to produce a change in a person's behavior and is not concerned with his attitudes or beliefs. It's the "Just do it" approach. Persuasion, on the other hand, aims for a change in attitude, or "Do it because it'll make you feel good/happy/healthy/successful." The education method (which is called the "propaganda method" when you don't believe in what's being taught) goes for the social-influence gold, trying to affect a change in the person's beliefs, along the lines of "Do it because you know it's the right thing to do." Brainwashing is a severe form of social influence that combine*s all of these approaches to cause changes in someone's way of thinking without that person's consent and often against his will.
              I've enjoyed the back and forth banter. I was tempted, but kept a thought in check until now. Your reactions reflect many of the characteristics by which to describe you as a Red Queen.

Comment

Families spend money in different ways. It doesn't mean that we are all of the mindset you claim, nor could our choice be thought insane.

Soccer for our kids turned out to be a great experience and worth the price. We also know families that chose other experiences and spent the same amount of money. It's our choice, our money, and our kids are happy and doing well off the turf as well.
                My oldest came to us after her 4th grade rec season. The coach was a dad, a very nice, calm and easy going guy. Did not know a thing about soccer---watched YouTube videos before each practice. Bless his heart, he meant well and tried hard but had grown up in the late 60's and early 70's so really did not know much about soccer at all but raised his hand to coach. At that point, my daughter says to us "I want to get better. I want to play club."---we researched and looked at several different options, went to a few trainings and watched. A couple coaches asked if my daughter wanted to step in and learn and participate in the drills. She did. We chose the club that fit her personality best and the club that she seemed to like/connect with the coaches best.

She has played now for 8+years (8 yrs to U17). Has it been a money drain? No, not really. We were doing well enough that we had already got a great jump on her college account due to our in-laws as well as my mother. The college is paid for. She could have done other things that would have been more expensive (horses) and other things that could have been less expensive (just continued to play rec). End of the day, she enjoyed it, never complained, went to all trainings, all away tourneys (Phoenix, Vegas, San Diego, Bay Area, Seattle, etc). She met some great friends and she learned a lot about herself and is much more focused and driven because of her experiences. She has excellent grades. Will she play in college, no. No interest. Wants to go on and either become a pediatrician or dentist. It was right for her and right for our family. We budgeted and counted on the club and team expenses. Did we go to all of the away travel tourneys? No---went to most but some she went with chaperones. Every single family has to look at this and relate to their own personal situation. I have seen some folks really stretch and it's tight for them and I have seen other folks that they have 2-3 kids playing club and they still do fancy vacations and take nice trips. All in how you look at it and how you want to prioritize what is important for your kids and their development and personal growth. By the way, older daughter is a low level A/high B type girl. Plays up to A some times and plays mostly on B teams. Partly because has a calm/easy going demeanor. Loves the game, has the technical side down, just is NOT 100% driven and consumed by soccer 24/7. Has other interests and does other things (community activities, church activities, youth group, leadership at her HS, etc). Has been asked to 'guest' play for away travel A teams. She had no desire to play ECNL--not that passionate, but still plays to stay in shape, because she likes it, enjoys being with her friends and plays for her HS team as well.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X