Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Soccer True Cost Calculator

We have created a new calculator that helps parents estimate the "true" cost of club soccer. In addition to mileage/travel costs, the calculator also takes into account the value of your time. Once you see the true cost, you'll better understand why some parents take youth soccer just a tad bit too seriously.

One more thing. The calculator will also show you how much you would save if you had invested five years worth of soccer spending in a college savings account. We make no money off of this--we're just trying to help educate soccer parents.

http://brilliantclubs.com/blog/club-...-calculator-2/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We have created a new calculator that helps parents estimate the "true" cost of club soccer. In addition to mileage/travel costs, the calculator also takes into account the value of your time. Once you see the true cost, you'll better understand why some parents take youth soccer just a tad bit too seriously.

One more thing. The calculator will also show you how much you would save if you had invested five years worth of soccer spending in a college savings account. We make no money off of this--we're just trying to help educate soccer parents.

You got the debits correct, but you forgot to include the credits.

Comment

***??? Who gets paid for the "value of their time"???

It reminds me of a song by STYX - "Too much time on my hands".

Comment

Interesting but you could create one of these calculators for anything anyone find rewarding. Like create one for my buddy Triathlete Dad. Make sure you add up all those hours on the bike, running and in the pool. Then add in his annual trip to the Hawaiian IRON MAN Triathlon and your eyes would roll back in your head. Rational? Probably not. Rewarding? H*ll Yeah!

Comment

Interesting but you could create one of these calculators for anything anyone find rewarding. Like create one for my buddy Triathlete Dad. Make sure you add up all those hours on the bike, running and in the pool. Then add in his annual trip to the Hawaiian IRON MAN Triathlon and your eyes would roll back in your head. Rational? Probably not. Rewarding? H*ll Yeah!
          Hahaha just keep it in perspective. He got that college degree or worked hard to afford his leisurely activities and Hawaii.

Comment

I love the elite soccer star who contacts the D1 school after September of her Junior year and they tell her graduating year roster is filled.

Comment

Adding in the "value of your time" makes this calculation completely bogus. What a stupid way to look at it.

Comment

Adding in the "value of your time" makes this calculation completely bogus. What a stupid way to look at it.
                Agreed. Please explain how sitting on my butt at home instead of attending soccer practice and games would put money in my kid's college account.

Comment

Was this done by a freshman economics student? There is no formula to capture a parent's enjoyment (or lunacy?) in helping their kids pursue their interests and passions. Three key questions

1) does your kid LOVE? If yes, proceed
                  2) can you afford it without sacrificing other things like college and retirement savings, family vacations, family time, other kids' activities....? If yes, proceed
                  3) Do you expect a monetary payout at the end? If yes - GET OUT or at a minimum do research on the realities of college scholarships, academic and athletic

Comment

Kind of like buying a boat so you can get some free fish.

Comment

Kind of like buying a boat so you can get some free fish.
                      I love this!

Comment

Was this done by a freshman economics student? There is no formula to capture a parent's enjoyment (or lunacy?) in helping their kids pursue their interests and passions. Three key questions

1) does your kid LOVE? If yes, proceed
                        2) can you afford it without sacrificing other things like college and retirement savings, family vacations, family time, other kids' activities....? If yes, proceed
                        3) Do you expect a monetary payout at the end? If yes - GET OUT or at a minimum do research on the realities of college scholarships, academic and athletic
                        Every once in a while there is some incredibly clear reasoning on TS and this is some of it! Always cracks me up when someone signs up for an entire season of travel soccer (est. cost about $3,500 or so) and then complains about the kit that costs $180. If the kid loves it and you can afford it WITHOUT needing an athletic scholarship then Play On!

Comment

***??? Who gets paid for the "value of their time"???

It reminds me of a song by STYX - "Too much time on my hands".
                          "How Much You Would Have in a College Savings Account if You saved that amount for 5 years (assuming a return of 5% per year)"

This assumption also undermines the calculator's reliability in my mind...Its been many years since 5% was realistic, and sadly will almost certainly be many years before it is realistic again. Makes me wonder about other assumptions programmed in that we don't see.

Comment

"How Much You Would Have in a College Savings Account if You saved that amount for 5 years (assuming a return of 5% per year)"

This assumption also undermines the calculator's reliability in my mind...Its been many years since 5% was realistic, and sadly will almost certainly be many years before it is realistic again. Makes me wonder about other assumptions programmed in that we don't see.
                            Maybe renaming it to the "Fantasy Cost Calculator" would be more accurate.

Comment

The wonderful memories I am building with my children is priceless. I could be spending money on season ticket to watch some pro athlete that could careless about me or spend the money and time with my family.

A college scholarship would only be the icing on the cake but if not we will find a way to pay for college. For the time being I will just enjoy the time I spend with my family and good people like yourselves that support your children's interest.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X