Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing multiple sports, how does your club handle it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing multiple sports, how does your club handle it?

I have kids who like to play a different sport in the spring. This spring they'll be playing soccer plus their other sport. It's been said by multiple coaches that kids should practice with their soccer team one day a week and with the other sport on any other days. It might be difficult come game time, but should be doable.

In your experience with different clubs, how have you found coaches to handle this type of situation. I've heard about a local club in particular who's DoC told parents that unless they are dedicated 100% to soccer year round they should go elsewhere.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have kids who like to play a different sport in the spring. This spring they'll be playing soccer plus their other sport. It's been said by multiple coaches that kids should practice with their soccer team one day a week and with the other sport on any other days. It might be difficult come game time, but should be doable.

In your experience with different clubs, how have you found coaches to handle this type of situation. I've heard about a local club in particular who's DoC told parents that unless they are dedicated 100% to soccer year round they should go elsewhere.
    Depends on what team your kid is on. If it's an A team--at some clubs, the A teams are focused on winning, and may insist the kids focus on soccer. If it's a B team or lower, the club should be more accepting of part-time or recreationally-focused players.

There are many kids out there who want to play organized soccer, want a better game (and teammates) than can be found in many of the rec leagues, want to play more-or-less year round--but who aren't interested in Academy-track training or hypercompetitive environments. There are many clubs out there that will provide just that--just don't expect them to win State Cup. But chances are, your kids won't care.

Comment

Not a problem as your kid will be on the B or C team anyway.

Comment

Cross training with sports like basketball are very good for injury prevention.

Comment

Our club encourages multi-sport play. They are adamant that kids do not specialize early

Comment

Utter garbage!!

Comment

This is very true. Get advice from physio experts.

Comment

This is very true. Get advice from physio experts.
                I agree. I have heard many people (so called experts) on here say otherwise, but playing basketball is a much better alternative than just playing futsal. The conditioning alone is beneficial.

Comment

Our club encourages multi-sport play. They are adamant that kids do not specialize early
                  All kids should enjoy multi-sport play. What's odd are the clubs that say in one breath that their philosophy is no year round soccer and multi-sport play... and then in another breath they push the USDA program.

Comment

I agree. I have heard many people (so called experts) on here say otherwise, but playing basketball is a much better alternative than just playing futsal. The conditioning alone is beneficial.
                    Basketball being beneficial as another winter cross fitness sport is another myth. It's hell on the knees for alot of soccer players. Try a winter sport, whether team or individual, that is low impact.

Comment

Basketball being beneficial as another winter cross fitness sport is another myth. It's hell on the knees for alot of soccer players. Try a winter sport, whether team or individual, that is low impact.
                      Basketball is excellent for goalies

Comment

Multi sport participation is great for all ages, but unfortunately by a certain age there is an expectation that you need to focus on one. Also depends on what level you're playing as well. Some kids purposely play below a level than they could easily do just so they can manage schedules. Club cooperation varies and can even vary by coach within each club. If you think it will be an issue have a conversation with a coach right away and keep them informed at all times.

Comment

Every late fall/winter this becomes a hot topic. Here's my "been there done that" perspective:

Every study ever done on the subject recommends multi-sport participation and not specializing before a certain age. The age when specialization should begin varies by study but it's generally between 13-15.

If you are making decisions based on hopes for a D1 scholarship or national team exposure you are failing as a parent.

Ask your child what he/she wants to do. If he/she wants to continue playing two sports and you have the means and time to support that, do it. You will have a happier child.

MAKE SURE (cannot emphasize this enough) that your multi sport child understands the following:

Grades are first priority. If grades slip, one sport has to go.

There are consequences for their decision to do multi sports. One is that it might impact their playing time/starting spot/ability to be on the "A" team in a sport. None of that has to be a bad thing, but the kid needs to understand that the team will move on with or without his or her full participation, and other players on the team who are only playing one sport will improve at a faster rate than he or she will. Again, this doesn't have to be bad, but having a clear understanding of it will help avoid disappointment later one.

Parents also need to understand that, as the player gets older, and if the player is a strong player on the team, there may be some frustration or resentment by other parents. This is normal. They are investing a lot of time and money, and their child is investing his or her energies on that team, and if your child's lack of commitment is hurting the team, they won't like it. Conversely, if your child is missing practices and games and then getting to start and still play many minutes per game (which can happen in the older ages for a very talented athlete), other parents might resent THAT too. Whatever the case, the parent of the multi sport athlete needs to develop thick skin.

Finally, and I saved this for last because it is the most important item, clear and consistent communication with all coaches is mandatory. Do not accept a spot on a team and two months later tell the coach you'll only be a part time player during basketball season, or you'll be missing two months for basketball. That isn't fair to the coaches who picked your kid over another kid they could be developing from the B team. Don't tell each coach their sport will take top priority - this is impossible and you are setting yourself up for everyone to be upset with you. Talk to your child and decide what his or her priorities will be - are they a soccer lover and soccer will always come first? Will they place top priority on the sports whose traditional "season" it is? Make that decision, communicate it to all coaches BEFORE accepting spots on teams, and live with it.

I am a firm believer in multi sports - I think it prevents burnout and leads to kids who are happier and healthier. But I have seen parents really screw it up and basically ruin their kid's chances of ever making an A team again, so tread lightly.

Comment

Every late fall/winter this becomes a hot topic. Here's my "been there done that" perspective:

Every study ever done on the subject recommends multi-sport participation and not specializing before a certain age. The age when specialization should begin varies by study but it's generally between 13-15.

If you are making decisions based on hopes for a D1 scholarship or national team exposure you are failing as a parent.

Ask your child what he/she wants to do. If he/she wants to continue playing two sports and you have the means and time to support that, do it. You will have a happier child.

MAKE SURE (cannot emphasize this enough) that your multi sport child understands the following:

Grades are first priority. If grades slip, one sport has to go.

There are consequences for their decision to do multi sports. One is that it might impact their playing time/starting spot/ability to be on the "A" team in a sport. None of that has to be a bad thing, but the kid needs to understand that the team will move on with or without his or her full participation, and other players on the team who are only playing one sport will improve at a faster rate than he or she will. Again, this doesn't have to be bad, but having a clear understanding of it will help avoid disappointment later one.

Parents also need to understand that, as the player gets older, and if the player is a strong player on the team, there may be some frustration or resentment by other parents. This is normal. They are investing a lot of time and money, and their child is investing his or her energies on that team, and if your child's lack of commitment is hurting the team, they won't like it. Conversely, if your child is missing practices and games and then getting to start and still play many minutes per game (which can happen in the older ages for a very talented athlete), other parents might resent THAT too. Whatever the case, the parent of the multi sport athlete needs to develop thick skin.

Finally, and I saved this for last because it is the most important item, clear and consistent communication with all coaches is mandatory. Do not accept a spot on a team and two months later tell the coach you'll only be a part time player during basketball season, or you'll be missing two months for basketball. That isn't fair to the coaches who picked your kid over another kid they could be developing from the B team. Don't tell each coach their sport will take top priority - this is impossible and you are setting yourself up for everyone to be upset with you. Talk to your child and decide what his or her priorities will be - are they a soccer lover and soccer will always come first? Will they place top priority on the sports whose traditional "season" it is? Make that decision, communicate it to all coaches BEFORE accepting spots on teams, and live with it.

I am a firm believer in multi sports - I think it prevents burnout and leads to kids who are happier and healthier. But I have seen parents really screw it up and basically ruin their kid's chances of ever making an A team again, so tread lightly.
                            as a former coach of a da team, not gda, this is pretty darn good advice. (unless you want to be on a da team. then one sport only)

Comment

as a former coach of a da team, not gda, this is pretty darn good advice. (unless you want to be on a da team. then one sport only)
                              I agree and this is one of the many significant differences between ECNL and GDA. ECNL coaches don't care if you do a second sport as long as soccer is a priority. My daughter's ECNL team has girls that play lacrosse, basketball, and run track. It's never been an issue and the team is strong enough that if they miss a game there are plenty of girls chomping at the bit to take their playing time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X