Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Really? She basically right where the program was when they hired her. Every year she has a decent pre season and then in conference she looses the majority of the games.
    8 more games to go, and the games Oregon will be better paired with are yet to come.... Then we will all be able to tell if it is better or not. SoCal teams and Stanford should of been losses for Oregon, it is all good.

Comment

UO coach should get a couple more years to prove. They are improving.

To fully evaluate mertz we need to compare her w/ Oregon coaches of the past:

Steffen
      49-107...............16-35 in his first three seasons

Erickson
      70-71.................29-23 in her first three seasons

Mertz
      17-35-5.............in her first three seasons. That record will get worse as the year goes.

So in her first three seasons her winning % will be the the lowest in Oregon Soccer history despite Phil Knights massive support of the Ducks.

Um. she should fired at the end of the season. STATS don't lie. She was an average coach at her last gig. Find a coach who was actually successful at the D1 level.

Comment

8 more games to go, and the games Oregon will be better paired with are yet to come.... Then we will all be able to tell if it is better or not. SoCal teams and Stanford should of been losses for Oregon, it is all good.
        Colorado and Utah are difficult on the road due to the elevation. Sea level to 5400 feet is difficult. UW, WSU, Arizona and ASU are all very formidable. Cal will probably be a loss. Oregon State is on par with them too. She has to finish 8th or above in the conference to get another year.

Comment

To fully evaluate mertz we need to compare her w/ Oregon coaches of the past:

Steffen
          49-107...............16-35 in his first three seasons

Erickson
          70-71.................29-23 in her first three seasons

Mertz
          17-35-5.............in her first three seasons. That record will get worse as the year goes.

So in her first three seasons her winning % will be the the lowest in Oregon Soccer history despite Phil Knights massive support of the Ducks.

Um. she should fired at the end of the season. STATS don't lie. She was an average coach at her last gig. Find a coach who was actually successful at the D1 level.
          Aren't her first 3 years making the best she can out of mostly recruits from the previous coach? 6 or 7 year run to develop seems more fair & logical to me.

Comment

Aren't her first 3 years making the best she can out of mostly recruits from the previous coach? 6 or 7 year run to develop seems more fair & logical to me.
            well Ericsson took steffens recruits and won.

mertz took Ericsson's recruits and lost

So you want to wait 7 years? The AD should get on the phone and aggressively recruit Hansen to return to Oregon. We deserve better.

Lauren Hansen went to SJSU and made the NCAA's and has a winning record now. That's a huge difference.

Mertz is continuing her mediocrity that she had at her last gig.

Comment

well Ericsson took steffens recruits and won.

mertz took Ericsson's recruits and lost

So you want to wait 7 years? The AD should get on the phone and aggressively recruit Hansen to return to Oregon. We deserve better.

Lauren Hansen went to SJSU and made the NCAA's and has a winning record now. That's a huge difference.

Mertz is continuing her mediocrity that she had at her last gig.
              Maybe Steffens recruits were better... Also, don't forget Ericson was let go too and Hanson was part of that. Give Mertz a couple more years and then if they don't improve, find a new clean slate.

Comment

Maybe Steffens recruits were better... Also, don't forget Ericson was let go too and Hanson was part of that. Give Mertz a couple more years and then if they don't improve, find a new clean slate.
                You really have no idea about Pac 12 programs. This isn't Western Oregon we are talking about. You win or you are gone. Absent a huge turnaround of the season for the football team, Helfrich is probably gone at the end of the year. This is a guy who played in a NC game not too long ago. Anderson at OSU is getting heavy scrutiny for losing every Pac 12 game since he's been there, which is only a year and a half. I know those are football, but it shows you the patience programs have for winning. The Pac 12 is serious, they spend thousands on each athlete just testing them to see what their bodies are like, how they process energy, what their glycogen levels are weekly, and on and on. I know first hand about this. These schools invest serious money into their programs and expect results. Kat hasn't shown ANY form of improvement since taking over. And while her RPI is pretty good this year, she better win if she wants to keep her job. An AD is assessed on many things, including how well the programs under him are doing. You don't rest on the fact that one or two of you programs are doing well and the rest are doing so so or poorly. As an AD, you want all of them doing well. And for that matter, Linus better be worried as they are going to get a new AD and he may not look favorably on the state of that program.

Comment

You really have no idea about Pac 12 programs. This isn't Western Oregon we are talking about. You win or you are gone. Absent a huge turnaround of the season for the football team, Helfrich is probably gone at the end of the year. This is a guy who played in a NC game not too long ago. Anderson at OSU is getting heavy scrutiny for losing every Pac 12 game since he's been there, which is only a year and a half. I know those are football, but it shows you the patience programs have for winning. The Pac 12 is serious, they spend thousands on each athlete just testing them to see what their bodies are like, how they process energy, what their glycogen levels are weekly, and on and on. I know first hand about this. These schools invest serious money into their programs and expect results. Kat hasn't shown ANY form of improvement since taking over. And while her RPI is pretty good this year, she better win if she wants to keep her job. An AD is assessed on many things, including how well the programs under him are doing. You don't rest on the fact that one or two of you programs are doing well and the rest are doing so so or poorly. As an AD, you want all of them doing well. And for that matter, Linus better be worried as they are going to get a new AD and he may not look favorably on the state of that program.
                  Comparing women's soccer to football is a stretch. There is no where near the pressure on women's as there is on Football. The only reason colleges put up with women's soccer is because of title IX. Soccer teams do well, some do poorly, no one cares.

Comment

Comparing women's soccer to football is a stretch. There is no where near the pressure on women's as there is on Football. The only reason colleges put up with women's soccer is because of title IX. Soccer teams do well, some do poorly, no one cares.
                    O.K. a few people care. However, 99% of the population don't have one iota of how College XYZ women's soccer team is doing.

Comment

I think they care in the pac12 to the extent that the coaches need to run a clean and competitive program. No one wants ugly attached to the athletic program. Wins and losses may not be a huge deal.

Comment

HAHAHHA. and you know more about PAC -12 programs? Bottom line is you win or you are OUT. Happens all the time in life. DO you give newly hired sales guys a chance for 2 years to make sales or do you can him for poor sales?

Linus and Mertz are gone and it's up to the AD to filter through the MANY applicants to find the right one. I hope the requirement will be a winning record at the D1 level. I don't care if they have US soccer experience because that doesn't mean crap to me.

Comment

Ericsson had a near .500 record and Hansen went on to SJSU to help them have a winning record and NCAA appearance. Now they are gone and Oregon really sucks. It's pretty clear to me.

Comment

Exactly, and as I pointed out, football coaches are under pressure only a couple years out from competing in the national championship game, or just two years into a job. Kat has gotten what, four, five years? And she hasn't done anything. What you really don't get is that Pac 12 is so much more pressure for all programs than it is for a Western Oregon. If you had a kid at a top school, you would understand this. She doesn't win this year, it's doubtful she's back next year.

Comment

HAHAHHA. and you know more about PAC -12 programs? Bottom line is you win or you are OUT. Happens all the time in life. DO you give newly hired sales guys a chance for 2 years to make sales or do you can him for poor sales?

Linus and Mertz are gone and it's up to the AD to filter through the MANY applicants to find the right one. I hope the requirement will be a winning record at the D1 level. I don't care if they have US soccer experience because that doesn't mean crap to me.
                              Yup. Which is exactly what I said.

Comment

Exactly, and as I pointed out, football coaches are under pressure only a couple years out from competing in the national championship game, or just two years into a job. Kat has gotten what, four, five years? And she hasn't done anything. What you really don't get is that Pac 12 is so much more pressure for all programs than it is for a Western Oregon. If you had a kid at a top school, you would understand this. She doesn't win this year, it's doubtful she's back next year.
                                Heard the same thing last year. Bottom line is that the expectations of the women's soccer team at Oregon are about 17th on the list of teams the AD thinks about. Kat is a tireless worker. She is respected by her peers and by the Oregon coaching fraternity in the athletic office. She does a lot year round to promote her program and gets involved with countless off the field fundraisers and U of O goodwill efforts. So no, it's not all about winning for the women's soccer program - she has done enough there to ensure her employment extends beyond this season whether you like it or not.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X