Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This. My son is playing U12 DA, if you wait your child might be left behind.
    Left behind? Here's the truth if you stay with a good club team: your daughter will enjoy the thrill of playing for her high school and end up at the exact same college with the same scholarship as the sheep who fell for the GDA sales pitch. And you'll save a ton of money to boot.

Comment

I get what OP is saying. My son is u12 da for a full da club. It's super intense and competitive within the team to make top roster each week. He enjoys it but I wonder if we are increasing the risk of burnout... he's only 11.

Comment

The DA tryouts are now; by invite to train with current team and guest playing.
        The DA teams will be 90% verbally 'set' by April.

Comment

My 2004 girl currently plays at Weston , coaches are great and keep selling the coming DA programs as the place to be if you want to anyone, in youth soccer My girl is going to wait and play npl , sfuysa , school and potentially state cup before giving it up to train 4 days a week with limited games.

HOPEFULLY, she will be good enough to go DA when she's 15, if they are still around .

Thoughts?

And to all the haters , I already know she sucks it's all rec etc etc - silly people...

That will be a smart choice as next years Weston DA team will be 03/04 combined and the current Weston ECNL 03 team is loaded so she probably wouldn't get picked anyway.

Comment

That will be a smart choice as next years Weston DA team will be 03/04 combined and the current Weston ECNL 03 team is loaded so she probably wouldn't get picked anyway.
            yes younger players often get shafted on the combined age group teams. happens all the time on the boys' side.

to the OP - have her go to tryouts and see what she thinks, see where she fits in. But, she still is very young and IMHO still has time to figure out where she wants to take it. Also there's no telling where GDA is going to go. Nothing wrong with sitting back a year to see what happens with her, the club and the system. As long as she still plays on a top team, works hard etc. BDA cuts players all the time for better ones. Just because you start young doesn't mean you're guaranteed a spot until you graduate HS. If your kid has the goods (and works hard) she'll get a spot next year or the year after.

Comment

yes younger players often get shafted on the combined age group teams. happens all the time on the boys' side.

to the OP - have her go to tryouts and see what she thinks, see where she fits in. But, she still is very young and IMHO still has time to figure out where she wants to take it. Also there's no telling where GDA is going to go. Nothing wrong with sitting back a year to see what happens with her, the club and the system. As long as she still plays on a top team, works hard etc. BDA cuts players all the time for better ones. Just because you start young doesn't mean you're guaranteed a spot until you graduate HS. If your kid has the goods (and works hard) she'll get a spot next year or the year after.
              Thanks for you opinion , it's always refreshing to hear from normal people on here every so often

Comment

Do it early. Develop now. Play high school soccer later.
                Here's the flaw in that logic - this is year one with all the same coaches (and no time to raise quality standards) and essentially most of the same competitors. I posted above that waiting a year to see how this shakes out, especially with a younger player, isn't a bad idea.

And if the OPs player really doesn't want to do it the worst thing you can do as a parent is push them into something they don't want. If she wants to play in college (and she is 12 let's not forget) then there are multiple pathways to achieve that. There is no real pro path for women, just college, and virtually none are NT material. USSF seems to have forgotten that harsh reality (they assume players will come in droves like they did on the men's side, where boys had no choice), along with the pull of HS sports.

Comment

Here's the flaw in that logic - this is year one with all the same coaches (and no time to raise quality standards) and essentially most of the same competitors. I posted above that waiting a year to see how this shakes out, especially with a younger player, isn't a bad idea.

And if the OPs player really doesn't want to do it the worst thing you can do as a parent is push them into something they don't want. If she wants to play in college (and she is 12 let's not forget) then there are multiple pathways to achieve that. There is no real pro path for women, just college, and virtually none are NT material. USSF seems to have forgotten that harsh reality (they assume players will come in droves like they did on the men's side, where boys had no choice), along with the pull of HS sports.
                  At 12 they are in middle school. If a Development Academy offers more development it may be the best path for the player at 12. Each player will need to go year by year, and ultimately it must be the player who is invited and must want the commitment of DA at 12.

Comment

Mine doesn't either - and she's one of the better ones on our npl team

Comment

Mine doesn't either - and she's one of the better ones on our npl team
                      It's going to be interesting next season - if we just consider the elite girls , and everyone knows who they are, if half decide to not play DA and play whatever the next tier is , NPL, ? will GDA be relevant? And we are taking about the 03-04's

Comment

I'm in south Florida and every team is so diluted. each team down here has 2-3 elite girls , 10 average to above average and the rest will quit in a year or 2. If GDA is to work , every elite girl needs to try out and then they will cut from that group. we all know that's not going to happen

Comment

So Sad

All of these families just soaking up the BS spewing out of the mouths of soon to be leaving coaches in Weston.

I have been around this "soccer scene" for a long time and have witnessed first hand the destructive mediocrity at Weston.

Take a look at all of the older teams and tell me how many of those Weston kids are now committed?

Blah, blah, "we have ECNL", oh now we have "GDA", listen to us because we are the soccer experts.

Now here are some questions to ask CP and TT-

1) CP and TT can you tell me how many current Sophomores are committed from Weston teams?

2) How many Juniors?

3) How many Seniors?

4) CP and TT what role if any did you play in getting any Sophomore, Junior, or Senior committed this year?

I'm certain your answer will go like this....

Crickets....

Signed,

DOC of a non-DA club in a market competing with a club that's been awarded GDA!

Comment

All of these families just soaking up the BS spewing out of the mouths of soon to be leaving coaches in Weston.

I have been around this "soccer scene" for a long time and have witnessed first hand the destructive mediocrity at Weston.

Take a look at all of the older teams and tell me how many of those Weston kids are now committed?

Blah, blah, "we have ECNL", oh now we have "GDA", listen to us because we are the soccer experts.

Now here are some questions to ask CP and TT-

1) CP and TT can you tell me how many current Sophomores are committed from Weston teams?

2) How many Juniors?

3) How many Seniors?

4) CP and TT what role if any did you play in getting any Sophomore, Junior, or Senior committed this year?

I'm certain your answer will go like this....

Crickets....
                            So Sad,

I'm a dad of a committed senior, not from S Fl, don't know anything about Weston or these guys you're talking about, but I'm curious. What exactly is it you think these guys were supposed to do to get kids committed? My daughter put in the hours on the field, she got the grades in school, she identified the schools she was interested in, she contacted the coaches and told them when and where she'd be playing, and she kept after them for feedback on where she stood until she had offers. When those college coaches occasionally called her club coach for reference he gave his honest opinion, but that was it. I honestly can't blame these guys if they look dumbfounded when you ask those questions, but it's not them, it's you. If you think your kid's club coach is going to get her into college you are sadly mistaken, hope it's not too late for her. Good luck to you.

Comment

So Sad,

I'm a dad of a committed senior, not from S Fl, don't know anything about Weston or these guys you're talking about, but I'm curious. What exactly is it you think these guys were supposed to do to get kids committed? My daughter put in the hours on the field, she got the grades in school, she identified the schools she was interested in, she contacted the coaches and told them when and where she'd be playing, and she kept after them for feedback on where she stood until she had offers. When those college coaches occasionally called her club coach for reference he gave his honest opinion, but that was it. I honestly can't blame these guys if they look dumbfounded when you ask those questions, but it's not them, it's you. If you think your kid's club coach is going to get her into college you are sadly mistaken, hope it's not too late for her. Good luck to you.
                              Well said. Some people wants others to take responsibility for their failures. These are the same people who are never accountable for their own actions when something goes wrong. Wake up, nobody owes you anything, regardless of what the various freaks are saying in the "protests."

Comment

Well said. Some people wants others to take responsibility for their failures. These are the same people who are never accountable for their own actions when something goes wrong. Wake up, nobody owes you anything, regardless of what the various freaks are saying in the "protests."
                                Why is Trump not draining the swamp? The rich get richer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X