Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does athletic or merit aid result in lower finaid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All very true, but if you start off by setting soccer as a secondary goal and then only give 3/4 effort, you shouldn't even bother. It is amazing how many parents around here are paying for top shelf soccer experiences for their kids without any intention of committing to the soccer aspect of the equation. Sad
    Who said anything about kid not giving 3/4 effort? Unless you are referring to parent commitment of not drinking the high stakes cool-aid. Most parents are wise and know what the path of life is about, and understand that will include many more important things outside of soccer. So why feed the club coffers, the motel chains, the airlines, the gas stations, and the personal trainers in an attempt to get a partial college scholarship. And then factor in the other kids who only have 90th percentile talent and athletic ability.

Comment

Who said anything about kid not giving 3/4 effort? Unless you are referring to parent commitment of not drinking the high stakes cool-aid. Most parents are wise and know what the path of life is about, and understand that will include many more important things outside of soccer. So why feed the club coffers, the motel chains, the airlines, the gas stations, and the personal trainers in an attempt to get a partial college scholarship. And then factor in the other kids who only have 90th percentile talent and athletic ability.
      Go watch your kid play. How many times do actually see them or one of their teammates actually sell all out and as they used to say "leave it all on the field?" Been watching club soccer for going on 20 years. I don't see much of that nowadays, what I see a lot of is kids gliding at 3/4 speed so I ask myself the exact same questions. Why do it if that's all they are willing to give? Yet there doesn't appear to be any shortage of people eager to throw their money at it. Sad actually.

Comment

All very true, but if you start off by setting soccer as a secondary goal and then only give 3/4 effort, you shouldn't even bother. It is amazing how many parents around here are paying for top shelf soccer experiences for their kids without any intention of committing to the soccer aspect of the equation. Sad
        Part of that is driven by the hypercompetitive educational environment around here, along with upper income families wanting their kids to attend the "best" schools. Parents are willing to pay for their kid have as many "edges" they can to help them get into better schools - be it athletics, music, world-record for whatever. Competitive at top schools is insanely intense and many parents around here can pay to give their kids perceived advantages (even if in the end it doesn't help them). It's a means to end an end rather something the kid is truly passionate about.

Comment

Go watch your kid play. How many times do actually see them or one of their teammates actually sell all out and as they used to say "leave it all on the field?" Been watching club soccer for going on 20 years. I don't see much of that nowadays, what I see a lot of is kids gliding at 3/4 speed so I ask myself the exact same questions. Why do it if that's all they are willing to give? Yet there doesn't appear to be any shortage of people eager to throw their money at it. Sad actually.
          What you are seeing is the the other half of the bell curve. Over the course of 40 years, soccer participation has increased dramatically and over the past 10-15 years, club soccer has sky rocketed. So in 1990, they weren't many club or district teams to play on. The kids that made those teams were your die-hards and would battle for 60 minutes to get a win. Today, you have 10 times the number of club teams and many are filled with kids that don't have that "all out" desire. Maybe some of that has infected the top teams too. But maybe I'm fortunate, I can honestly say my kids U12 team doesn't have any 3/4 speed players, well maybe 1. They'd all take a blow to the face if it meant getting a win.

Comment

Toughest conferences to land a spot as well. MA doesn't send too many players their way
            There are MA kids going to Penn State, Miami, Syracuse ,Notre Dame , BC and other big name schools. Wether they stay there is another story

Comment

What you are seeing is the the other half of the bell curve. Over the course of 40 years, soccer participation has increased dramatically and over the past 10-15 years, club soccer has sky rocketed. So in 1990, they weren't many club or district teams to play on. The kids that made those teams were your die-hards and would battle for 60 minutes to get a win. Today, you have 10 times the number of club teams and many are filled with kids that don't have that "all out" desire. Maybe some of that has infected the top teams too. But maybe I'm fortunate, I can honestly say my kids U12 team doesn't have any 3/4 speed players, well maybe 1. They'd all take a blow to the face if it meant getting a win.
              Wait a year or two and you'll see a marked difference. All the "academics are our first priority" talk in the car rides home eventually has an impact.

Comment

Wait a year or two and you'll see a marked difference. All the "academics are our first priority" talk in the car rides home eventually has an impact.
                Some say the problem is too many games- the kids are "saving" themselves. Certainly this is the case with any tournament where one is playing multiple days in a row, and even multiple matches in one day. The Academies view part of their function to get the training/match balance fixed.

You can criticize the "academic priority" people, but good luck having a functioning system without all those people. Take the 50 kids in the country who realistically can consider putting soccer first, and have fun with your league of 2 teams spread across the US.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X