Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athletes and Harvard

By far the strongest preference is granted to recruited athletes, who are admitted at an astonishing rate of over 75 percent. While 70 percent of recruited athletes with a mediocre academic rating of four (on a scale of one to six, with one highest) were admitted, the admit rate for non-athletes with the same academic rating was just 0.076—less than one in a thousand. Not infrequently playing sports favored by the privileged—among them, squash, sailing, fencing, and crew—recruited athletes constitute 11 percent of admitted students.

https://prospect.org/article/privile...s-real-problem

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    By far the strongest preference is granted to recruited athletes, who are admitted at an astonishing rate of over 75 percent. While 70 percent of recruited athletes with a mediocre academic rating of four (on a scale of one to six, with one highest) were admitted, the admit rate for non-athletes with the same academic rating was just 0.076—less than one in a thousand. Not infrequently playing sports favored by the privileged—among them, squash, sailing, fencing, and crew—recruited athletes constitute 11 percent of admitted students.

Boo Hoo.

The SJW crew would just as soon eliminate sports altogether by virtue of it being a competitive activity that naturally excludes.

Comment

None of this will change.

Donors give a lot of money to Harvard. That would stop if their kids were rejected by admissions.

Legacies don't impress me but Harvard is all about Harvard. Most of these students are full pay.

Athletes bring in money. Alumni that were athletes generally donate more than non-athletes.

Disadvantaged applicants don't pay.

It's all about the money.

Comment

Donors give a lot of money to Harvard. That would stop if their kids were rejected by admissions.

Legacies don't impress me but Harvard is all about Harvard. Most of these students are full pay.

Athletes bring in money. Alumni that were athletes generally donate more than non-athletes.

Agreed. Not sure why this is shocking to anybody. Colleges are businesses like any other.

Comment

How many true Ivy qualified football players are there out there? If it were that easy for them to find athletes with 1580 SAT scores they'd scoop them all up. But it isn't. Athletics has been made a priority by the board and with that comes some compromises along the way. The Ivies are very generous with financial need to qualified students. Athletes who row or play squash generally don't need the dough (yes I know Ivies don't give athletic or merit $). It all washes it out.

Comment

The key word is recruited. They aren’t run of the mill kids, they are athletes that coaches at Harvard judge have D1 caliber talent. Certainly not D3 caliber kids with an abundance of smarts. The shocking thing is they reject 25% of them. Yet another reason it’s real hard to take the Ivies super serious as a D1 landing spot if you have a D1 caliber kid.. At place like Stanford, Duke and Georgetown if a coach wants you, they essentially get you as long as you come in above the minimums agreed upon by the athletic department. At the Ivies you could be promised the sun and moon by a coach and still get rejected by admissions.

Comment

My older child could get into Ivy if they were a better player, but can’t without athletics cause grade & scores are just a bit below the Ivy average. My other kid could play soccer at an Ivy but has nowhere near the grades. If I could only combine them into one??

Comment

My older child could get into Ivy if they were a better player, but can’t without athletics cause grade & scores are just a bit below the Ivy average. My other kid could play soccer at an Ivy but has nowhere near the grades. If I could only combine them into one??
                What is average/acceptable for a high level soccer player? 1450? I heard as low as 1250.

Comment

What is average/acceptable for a high level soccer player? 1450? I heard as low as 1250.
                  I've heard 1300 and above with 3.8 GPA or higher.

Comment

One of my daughters club teammates was an average student at a prep school with an SAT around 1200 and she is at an ivy league now.

Comment

Google " Academic Index" it will tell you what you need on the academic side for the Ivies.

Comment

One of my daughters club teammates was an average student at a prep school with an SAT around 1200 and she is at an ivy league now.
                        That's unremarkable. She'd likely be better off at a school where she's an intellectual fit (1200 is pretty low, to be fair), but then the parents may not want that sticker on their car.

Comment

I've heard 1300 and above with 3.8 GPA or higher.
                          depends on the ivy too. Dartmouth, Brown and Cornell tend to be easier than the other ivies. Then Columbia and Penn. and last Harvard, Yale, Princeton who are the toughest.

Comment

That's unremarkable. She'd likely be better off at a school where she's an intellectual fit (1200 is pretty low, to be fair), but then the parents may not want that sticker on their car.
                            Why? Most athletes congregate together and tend to dominate the social scene at the top LACs. The nerds wish they could hang out with the jocks. Graduating from Harvard with a 2.7 GPA will still take you a long way.

Comment

Ha! Intellectual fit... you believe that crock.
                              Ivies are hard to enter - data show that.
                              No evidence shows they are actually harder once admitted
                              In fact Data shows a 97% grad rate making Harvard one of the easiest to complete

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X