X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Overseas / A Cautionary Tale

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/unit...d-at-barcelona

Great article. His ride isn’t over but always good learn about other experiences.

Comment

Sounds like a good, but not phenomenal, player who was recruited too early at 11. When he failed to meet expectations, his mom looks to blame the lack of games rather than admit he was just too young rather than admit maybe she had blinders on. I think this is more a cautionary tale about recruiting too young and ridiculous expectations of kids who haven't even hit puberty yet.

Comment

If you uproot an entire family to move to Europe for soccer you deserve the outcome you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          If you uproot an entire family to move to Europe for soccer you deserve the outcome you get.
          Oh, yeah .. far better to stay stateside and play for some hack like you and then end up having your parent talking about how that D3 education was the goal the whole time.

Comment

I am surprised that La Masia didn't know the FIFA regulation on the Status of Transfer players, or maybe they did and they knew they were breaking it and didn't care.

The parents probably should have done their due diligence about signing with a foreign club as well...not impressed.

Lastly, the kid seems to have caught a break imho catching on with Gent. Certainly, a club that has had some success developing professionals and the manager Van Renterghem sounds from the article like a measured, reasonable guy.

Comment

I am surprised that La Masia didn't know the FIFA regulation on the Status of Transfer players, or maybe they did and they knew they were breaking it and didn't care.

The parents probably should have done their due diligence about signing with a foreign club as well...not impressed.

Lastly, the kid seems to have caught a break imho catching on with Gent. Certainly, a club that has had some success developing professionals and the manager Van Renterghem sounds from the article like a measured, reasonable guy.
              Same thought. I was feeling jealous of this journey however it turns out. What an adventure.

Comment

I got the impression, not from the article but from other details over the last year, that they knew and like many big entitities, figured they could skirt them and deal with the minor ramifications.

Comment

Same thought. I was feeling jealous of this journey however it turns out. What an adventure.
                  It is an adventure. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I am personal believer in living life with no regrets.

Comment

It is an adventure. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I am personal believer in living life with no regrets.
                    Sounds like the mom has regrets, so there's that.

The older sibling sounds miserable. That's a good time.

Comment

Parents (especially the mom) seem like winners. I love the rule and it has a ton of validity. She would have blown a gasket if they moved out there and 2 years later they let him go or sold him. She can't seem to accept anything less than him being recognized as the best. Typical helicopter mom.

Comment

Parents (especially the mom) seem like winners. I love the rule and it has a ton of validity. She would have blown a gasket if they moved out there and 2 years later they let him go or sold him. She can't seem to accept anything less than him being recognized as the best. Typical helicopter mom.
                        ... PS, it is intended to prevent the children from becoming expendable commodities by professional organizations. Clubs the size of these could (and would) abuse tens of thousands of kids from accross the world to find another Messi ... its a shame that parents (these parents) would not know better.

Comment

I got the impression, not from the article but from other details over the last year, that they knew and like many big entitities, figured they could skirt them and deal with the minor ramifications.
                          I think this was arrogance on the part of his parents thinking FIFA would bend the rules because they hired the “best lawyers”. Sorry, but that’s an American approach that doesn’t translate very well with European institutions, especially FIFA that wields so much power.

I love his mother’s comments that they are frustrated for not letting him play because he “didn’t have papers”. What does she think if you show up to work/live with your whole family in the U.S. without “papers”. They are lucky they weren’t deported. Also, her comments about Messi being allowed to play despite being Argentinian are off. Messi technically could apply for a Spanish citizenship through his father at the time since his great-grandfather was from Catalon. That’s not the case for her kid.

It’s a whole different system/level to reach the pro leagues in Europe. I wish him well, but wouldn’t be too hopeful based on where he is at this point.

Comment

He has the European passport now so he can do his thing. Very very few have what it takes - chances are neither does he but we will see.

Comment

I think this was arrogance on the part of his parents thinking FIFA would bend the rules because they hired the “best lawyers”. Sorry, but that’s an American approach that doesn’t translate very well with European institutions, especially FIFA that wields so much power.

I love his mother’s comments that they are frustrated for not letting him play because he “didn’t have papers”. What does she think if you show up to work/live with your whole family in the U.S. without “papers”. They are lucky they weren’t deported. Also, her comments about Messi being allowed to play despite being Argentinian are off. Messi technically could apply for a Spanish citizenship through his father at the time since his great-grandfather was from Catalon. That’s not the case for her kid.

It’s a whole different system/level to reach the pro leagues in Europe. I wish him well, but wouldn’t be too hopeful based on where he is at this point.
                              FIFA is not the Spanish immigration office so they wouldn’t be deported. I agree with her that if your family wants to move so their son can play soccer in another country, you should have that right. FIFA should be concerned with whether the player’s parents are with him rather than WHY they moved in the first place. FIFA is wrong, wrong. They need to change their rules so that some players are not being harmed while trying to protect others.

And just because you CAN get a passport, but don’t have one - doesn’t make you any more eligible than someone who can’t get one. FIFA does not do a lineage evaluation. I doubt that a great- grandparent would allow citizenship, unless the grandparent had it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X