Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Again, the problem in the US is a lack of investment. Ask the EPL or League 1 teams who field professional women's teams why they invested millions when the return is non-existent?

Simple. Women make up 50% of the population. The Pro clubs in Europe have the money to invest and want to grow the game. Here in the US, we run the risk of losing our Title IX/College advantage and falling further behind because MLS clubs can't be bothered to invest in the Women's game. Of course, those same MLS owners and managers are now deciding to forgo the college draft for additional allocation money on the men's side. Sign of things to come.

The college game will be dead within 15 years and the NWSL much sooner, to the detriment of the US's soccer dreams...
    Women might be 50% of the population, but only a small % of them follow and support women’s sports. I don’t see that changing in the foreseeable future. If anything, soccer-crazed men taking their partners and daughters to NWSL games are probably their best customers.

I don’t see the college game dying here. Getting an education is a hedge because a pro soccer career is not a sure thing. Very few would take the risk of going directly into the minor pro leagues at 15 or 16 yrs old like you see in Europe and Asia. Those opportunities don’t exist here anyway because most MLS and NWSL are too busy keeping their first teams going to really invest in reserve and farm teams.

Comment

Again, the problem in the US is a lack of investment. Ask the EPL or League 1 teams who field professional women's teams why they invested millions when the return is non-existent?

Simple. Women make up 50% of the population. The Pro clubs in Europe have the money to invest and want to grow the game. Here in the US, we run the risk of losing our Title IX/College advantage and falling further behind because MLS clubs can't be bothered to invest in the Women's game. Of course, those same MLS owners and managers are now deciding to forgo the college draft for additional allocation money on the men's side. Sign of things to come.

The college game will be dead within 15 years and the NWSL much sooner, to the detriment of the US's soccer dreams...
      When the Breakers were going under I remember reading that Bob Kraft passed on taking them over. He could probably have gotten it for next to nothing and running it wouldn’t break his bank. That tells you how bad an investment a NWSL franchise is!

Comment

This sounds to me like Mace taking her ball and going home over:

1) Not getting called up to USWNT for WC. Her peers Davidson and Fox earned spots, but not her.

2) She was a lock for the Red Stars #1 draft pick until Davidson decided to go pro. Looks like she didn’t like losing her spot again.

I think she’s hoping to force her way back on to USWNT in time for WC with this talk of playing overseas. I doubt it will work. USWNT has all the talent they need at back (Dunn, O’Hara, etc.). And if she did make it, allocation would make her play with Sky Blue.

Comment

When the Breakers were going under I remember reading that Bob Kraft passed on taking them over. He could probably have gotten it for next to nothing and running it wouldn’t break his bank. That tells you how bad an investment a NWSL franchise is!
          Kraft doesn’t invest in anything that doesn’t have a legit ROI expected from it.

Comment

This sounds to me like Mace taking her ball and going home over:

1) Not getting called up to USWNT for WC. Her peers Davidson and Fox earned spots, but not her.

2) She was a lock for the Red Stars #1 draft pick until Davidson decided to go pro. Looks like she didn’t like losing her spot again.

I think she’s hoping to force her way back on to USWNT in time for WC with this talk of playing overseas. I doubt it will work. USWNT has all the talent they need at back (Dunn, O’Hara, etc.). And if she did make it, allocation would make her play with Sky Blue.
            This doesn’t make any sense. What does she have to lose not joining Sky Blue? The women get paid nothing. There’s a $350k team salary cap and a $16k minimum wage so if there are
            20 players that’s just $18k per average. She could make that at Starbucks rather than wasting her time on a cheap, losing team!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article..._league_17.amp

Comment

This doesn’t make any sense. What does she have to lose not joining Sky Blue? The women get paid nothing. There’s a $350k team salary cap and a $16k minimum wage so if there are
              20 players that’s just $18k per average. She could make that at Starbucks rather than wasting her time on a cheap, losing team!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article..._league_17.amp
              I agree the pay is ridiculously low, but those caps and salaries only apply to unallocated players, meaning those not on the USSF’s payroll for USWNT. The USSF and NWSL have an agreement where USSF pays the salaries for USWNT players and loans them to NWSL. I think the starting salary for USWNT is $75k, but some stars like Alex Morgan make a lot more by negotiating directly with their club. They have this agreement so the NESl doesn’t go bankrupt paying their stars. I’m sure Mace could make >$75k if she was on the USWNT allocation roster. It’s worth it for her to put some pressure on USSF, but I’m not sure they need her this cycle. Not sure she’s ready to sign on with a European team. It’s a whole different level and style of play over there.

Comment

I agree the pay is ridiculously low, but those caps and salaries only apply to unallocated players, meaning those not on the USSF’s payroll for USWNT. The USSF and NWSL have an agreement where USSF pays the salaries for USWNT players and loans them to NWSL. I think the starting salary for USWNT is $75k, but some stars like Alex Morgan make a lot more by negotiating directly with their club. They have this agreement so the NESl doesn’t go bankrupt paying their stars. I’m sure Mace could make >$75k if she was on the USWNT allocation roster. It’s worth it for her to put some pressure on USSF, but I’m not sure they need her this cycle. Not sure she’s ready to sign on with a European team. It’s a whole different level and style of play over there.
                I meant NWSL, not “NESI”

Comment

Kraft doesn’t invest in anything that doesn’t have a legit ROI expected from it.
                  Kraft has his hands full with the Revs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X