Recruiting Video Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is looking for some help making a highlight video, I’ve made a few and they were well received. Saw this thread and thought it might be nice to pick up some side cash and take on a new project or two. Feel free to email me tjb325vids@gmail if you want to talk details.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hailie Mace is a great example of why video matters. Didn't have the resume but her highlight video caught the attention of UCLA.

https://www.vcstar.com/story/sports/...ram/788031001/
      Cool story. She’s one of our favorite players and has had a stellar career. Wish her well eith the WNT and in her pro career.

Comment

Cool story. She’s one of our favorite players and has had a stellar career. Wish her well eith the WNT and in her pro career.
        Posting her story really silenced the know it alls. So video can work. Perfect.

Comment

I posted on another thread that I think you want to have as many tools in your toolbox as possible. No harm if they don't watch it, but it might also really help. Worst case is they watch it and take a pass, which certainly can happen. That's where you want to make sure your highlights are good and you're targeting the right level.

Comment

My child sent a video to a top 20 D1 college. The reply email from the assistant coach was very interesting. It was an invite to their ID camp, which was expected since that's all that they can really send at this point. What made it interesting is that his invite actually had a trail of emails below attached to it. The head coach emailed the assistant and another coach saying my child would be a great player to bring into camp. They went back and forth about what they say and liked on the video. It made me laugh out loud. The assistant obviously forgot to delete it all.

Comment

My child sent a video to a top 20 D1 college. The reply email from the assistant coach was very interesting. It was an invite to their ID camp, which was expected since that's all that they can really send at this point. What made it interesting is that his invite actually had a trail of emails below attached to it. The head coach emailed the assistant and another coach saying my child would be a great player to bring into camp. They went back and forth about what they say and liked on the video. It made me laugh out loud. The assistant obviously forgot to delete it all.
              My understanding is that at programs that try and watch videos the assistants do all the initial screenings then send their opt picks to the HC. Funny that you got to see the exchange. One of the few times you knew there was genuine interest.

Comment

Maybe it was done intentionally so you knew they were interested. Did you go to the camp? And did your dd end up somewhere she hoped she would?

Comment

Maybe it was done intentionally so you knew they were interested. Did you go to the camp? And did your dd end up somewhere she hoped she would?
                  It just happened in December. The camp will require flights. We're looking into it.

Comment

Best of luck to your daughter. The whole issue about video highlights confuses me. Some people clearly don't need it because they play on a team coaches scout or have connections in other ways. But when I read your post, I feel like my dd needs one. It can only help. Did you hire a service to film your games?

Comment

Best of luck to your daughter. The whole issue about video highlights confuses me. Some people clearly don't need it because they play on a team coaches scout or have connections in other ways. But when I read your post, I feel like my dd needs one. It can only help. Did you hire a service to film your games?
                      No, I didn't trust a video service. I took the video and edited it. I looked at it as a low cost way to highlight skills and competitiveness. Making a video can't hurt. It also isn't the recruiting silver bullet either. I'd recommend giving it a shot but you must manage your expectations.

Comment

I didnt read the story but I recall someone interviewing AC and she said that it was late in recruiting and a spot opened up. That is why she looked at tape. Tape peaked interest and then she went to watch her play. Nothing beats real time, eye confirmation.
                        Also keep in mind that was at least 6 yrs ago. 2012-13 everything is different on soccer landscape. Encl was in infancy then.

Comment

I didnt read the story but I recall someone interviewing AC and she said that it was late in recruiting and a spot opened up. That is why she looked at tape. Tape peaked interest and then she went to watch her play. Nothing beats real time, eye confirmation.
                          Also keep in mind that was at least 6 yrs ago. 2012-13 everything is different on soccer landscape. Encl was in infancy then.
                          But college coaches were still out there scouting players, just in a different manner

Comment

Isn't the whole point of video is to entice a coach to observe in person? What are the odds AC would have gone to watch HM play without first seeing her tape? She was playing for a no-name club, and the tournament AC went to was a low level tournament. Having tape is a marketing tool to gain interest from the coaches. You can get recruited without a tape. But coaches are more likely to watch a player they don't have connections to if they like what they see on film.

Comment

Isn't the whole point of video is to entice a coach to observe in person? What are the odds AC would have gone to watch HM play without first seeing her tape? She was playing for a no-name club, and the tournament AC went to was a low level tournament. Having tape is a marketing tool to gain interest from the coaches. You can get recruited without a tape. But coaches are more likely to watch a player they don't have connections to if they like what they see on film.
                              Back then, tape had more value. I just don't think it does anymore. To many have access to tools that enhance or crop the tape. To many chances that the tape isn't real or has been doctored. I agree it's a good peak your interest, possibly, but most times, leagues have tape anymore and the coaches are watching them over one from a parent which will only show the highlights not the errors.

Comment

Back then, tape had more value. I just don't think it does anymore. To many have access to tools that enhance or crop the tape. To many chances that the tape isn't real or has been doctored. I agree it's a good peak your interest, possibly, but most times, leagues have tape anymore and the coaches are watching them over one from a parent which will only show the highlights not the errors.
                                Because CGI is a real concern in recruiting? Are you a crackpot? Highlight videos, by definition, show highlights. The only difference today is that a player can email a link rather than snail mail a dvd.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X