Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The Ivy interested in her was not h-y-p. The D3 school she chose was equivalent to the Ivy where she had a offer.

Her ability to get a good undergraduate education was at least equal to what would have happened at the Ivy. Keep in mind the reduced demands of D3 versus D1. The 4 seniors her year had outstanding grad school placements: 2 directly into med school, 2 into fully funded phD programs.
    Laughing at this. So typical of a face saver. In this thread the argument is all about education but if you go over to the D3 thread this same poster clearly has their panties in a bunch over the idea that the demands in D3 are less than in D1.

Forget soccer for a moment. If a kid is really academically qualified how many are really going to pick a tiny school like Williams or Amherst over a large sophisticated campus like Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. Sure there are kids who are afraid of the big pond but let's not get carried away trying to justify their decisions with unrealistic claims.

Comment

Laughing at this. So typical of a face saver. In this thread the argument is all about education but if you go over to the D3 thread this same poster clearly has their panties in a bunch over the idea that the demands in D3 are less than in D1.

Forget soccer for a moment. If a kid is really academically qualified how many are really going to pick a tiny school like Williams or Amherst over a large sophisticated campus like Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. Sure there are kids who are afraid of the big pond but let's not get carried away trying to justify their decisions with unrealistic claims.
      Not the poster but not every D3 school is tiny. Emory, Johns Hopkins, UChicago...much bigger schools with good quality D3 soccer.

Comment

Clearly the person has a reading comprehension problem. The poster stated it was not h-y-p.

I can easily see someone choosing Williams or MIT or Cal Tech or Pomona or Harvey Mudd over Cornell or Brown. I can see people going the other way also.

Also, i think one prior poster was trying to say it that it was not just about the education; the level of commitment necessary and the anticipated ability to be an impact player on the team are other factors to consider.

Comment

Not the poster but not every D3 school is tiny. Emory, Johns Hopkins, UChicago...much bigger schools with good quality D3 soccer.
          Don't forget NYU, Wash U, and MIT. They are big urban schools.

Comment

Sure but they are not of the same ilk as Stanford or one of the Ivies now are they.

Comment

Clearly the person has a reading comprehension problem. The poster stated it was not h-y-p.

I can easily see someone choosing Williams or MIT or Cal Tech or Pomona or Harvey Mudd over Cornell or Brown. I can see people going the other way also.

Also, i think one prior poster was trying to say it that it was not just about the education; the level of commitment necessary and the anticipated ability to be an impact player on the team are other factors to consider.
              Apples to oranges. The original point was Stanford or one of the Ivies. This is the classic bait and switch tactic used by the D3 crowd. Next thing you know we'll be talking about the kid going to a school like Brandeis as though that is in the same tier as Stanford or Harvard or Yale. That is the equivalent of saying your kid could be playing for UNC when in reality they are playing at PC or BU. Nice programs for sure, just not on the same level.

Comment

Sure but they are not of the same ilk as Stanford or one of the Ivies now are they.
                MIT certainly is.

But NYU and Wash U are not quite up to the bottom of the Ivy.

However, I wonder if the poster was just adding on to the the prior post of larger D3 schools:"Not the poster but not every D3 school is tiny. Emory, Johns Hopkins, UChicago...much bigger schools with good quality D3 soccer"

Comment

Apples to oranges. The original point was Stanford or one of the Ivies. This is the classic bait and switch tactic used by the D3 crowd. Next thing you know we'll be talking about the kid going to a school like Brandeis as though that is in the same tier as Stanford or Harvard or Yale. That is the equivalent of saying your kid could be playing for UNC when in reality they are playing at PC or BU. Nice programs for sure, just not on the same level.
                  Not quite. The quoted post was in response to a poster who shared her daughter's story of choosing a D3 over a lower tier Ivy. For that person, my take away was that the ability to be able to play soccer was an important consideration is college selection.

Comment

Something for your son to consider: how will he fit on the team and how comfortable will he be?

My daughter was more interested in being an impact player on the team rather than being a bench warmer. So, she chose accordingly. It worked out great for her as she was a first team all conference player at a top D3 school. She did not want to be a bench player on an Ivy team.
                    I think this was the post which started the discussion.

Comment

OP here just wanted to say that my son decided to join the Navy instead because he didn't want to go to California and become a liberal. He's decided to play pick-up soccer overseas then come back join the Revs while going to college over the internet. I'm actually proud of him for this choice, he then said nothing will keep him from starting a soccer club afer his playing career is finished.

Comment

OP here just wanted to say that my son decided to join the Navy instead because he didn't want to go to California and become a liberal. He's decided to play pick-up soccer overseas then come back join the Revs while going to college over the internet. I'm actually proud of him for this choice, he then said nothing will keep him from starting a soccer club afer his playing career is finished.
                        My son serves in the navy and he is a liberal. And is not even stationed in California.

Comment

MIT certainly is.

But NYU and Wash U are not quite up to the bottom of the Ivy.

However, I wonder if the poster was just adding on to the the prior post of larger D3 schools:"Not the poster but not every D3 school is tiny. Emory, Johns Hopkins, UChicago...much bigger schools with good quality D3 soccer"
                          I was doing just that. Not every D3 is small and in the middle of nowhere. They have large campuses, dynamic environments, great facilities. Ivies? No. But pretty darn good that most would be thrilled to see their kids attend.

Comment

haahahahahahahahh

Sounds just like the Newton U-farted losers.

Comment

Stanford is a fine choice for your entitled suburban soccer player. The campus is basically a country club, with a golf course, tennis courts, riding stable, etc.

And if he gets drunk and takes advantage of a woman, there are friendly judges available to let him off with a wrist slap.

Comment

Stanford is a fine choice for your entitled suburban soccer player. The campus is basically a country club, with a golf course, tennis courts, riding stable, etc.

And if he gets drunk and takes advantage of a woman, there are friendly judges available to let him off with a wrist slap.
                                Sounds nice. Do you think they would admit an over the hill, 50+ year old that doesn’t want to go to class?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X