Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer coaches go overboard

In the past we've had soccer coaches who run practices, games, tournaments and an occasional scrimmage. Basically, what is expected...this year we have a coach who runs every practice for over 2 hours, schedules extra practices, runs multiple scrimmages every weekend, and participates in every tournament possible. This is on top of handling multiple teams. The coach also has a day job.... Since being a soccer parents I've only seen this one other time before and that coach was divorced. Does anyone else have a coach like this? I wonder if these coaches love their family because they are missing out on quality time they could be having with their families and I'm not sure why? They are missing on dinners with their spouse, time to converse with their spouse and children, they lose out on watching their children grow up into beautiful adults and all the "first" and "last" times their kids get to do many things. School ceremonies, going to the movies with their families, a quiet evening at their home...all of that is gone in the blink of an eye. No one in the real world or for that matter in the soccer world cares about what your team ranking is unless they are comparing rankings for an upcoming tournament and when you speak to people in the real world or during your day job they will not be impressed by the fact that your team is 10th, 5th, or even 1st in the state. I am perplexed...beyond understanding as to why there are coaches who insist on being with their team 5-6 days a week consistently. The kids lose out on much of life, the team parents get no down time, and the coach is certainly missing out on key time with their family as well. I understand this is competitive soccer but as a parent I also see this as being forced to lose time with my child for again what I feel as something that goes beyond the normal soccer. No, my child is not an academy team where this is expected and the normal...My child is on a regular and normally ranked every day team.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    In the past we've had soccer coaches who run practices, games, tournaments and an occasional scrimmage. Basically, what is expected...this year we have a coach who runs every practice for over 2 hours, schedules extra practices, runs multiple scrimmages every weekend, and participates in every tournament possible. This is on top of handling multiple teams. The coach also has a day job.... Since being a soccer parents I've only seen this one other time before and that coach was divorced. Does anyone else have a coach like this? I wonder if these coaches love their family because they are missing out on quality time they could be having with their families and I'm not sure why? They are missing on dinners with their spouse, time to converse with their spouse and children, they lose out on watching their children grow up into beautiful adults and all the "first" and "last" times their kids get to do many things. School ceremonies, going to the movies with their families, a quiet evening at their home...all of that is gone in the blink of an eye. No one in the real world or for that matter in the soccer world cares about what your team ranking is unless they are comparing rankings for an upcoming tournament and when you speak to people in the real world or during your day job they will not be impressed by the fact that your team is 10th, 5th, or even 1st in the state. I am perplexed...beyond understanding as to why there are coaches who insist on being with their team 5-6 days a week consistently. The kids lose out on much of life, the team parents get no down time, and the coach is certainly missing out on key time with their family as well. I understand this is competitive soccer but as a parent I also see this as being forced to lose time with my child for again what I feel as something that goes beyond the normal soccer. No, my child is not an academy team where this is expected and the normal...My child is on a regular and normally ranked every day team.
    You are lucky to have a coach that cares. My son has been blackballed by the liberal wack pack clubs in orlando. I will make my son great again. Stats don’t lie beast goalie in central florisa

Comment

Your post is very interesting and you make some good points. What I am trying to understand from your post is this. Are you happy with your coach? Is your child getting better and still enjoying the game? There is always a fine line between over training and not enough training for development. One thing from your post is that your coach is highly dedicated to your team and the kids which is hard to find these days. We as parents should understand that no matter how many days a coach is dedicating to their team, they are sacrificing something to be there for our kids. I always make sure that my children thank their coaches every time they see him and shake hands and respect them for their time regardless of whether they start the game or sit the bench. All that matters to my kids is that they are enjoying the game and learning from the coach and their team mates.

If you are really that concerned about the time he puts into the team, then schedule a meeting with him to understand why he is doing it and make sure you at least let him know that you appreciate his time because communication is the key to getting the best out of both the coach and the player. On the other hand, you must respect his life outside soccer and it is up to him to balance his own and family life. If it works for him and your child is getting better and loving the game, then no need to worry about the coaches commitment to his team and how much time he spends dedicating to the kids. Maybe that's his way of distressing from his day job and other outside pressures.

At the end of the day, find a way to give yourself and your family the balance that works for you and let him balance his life the way that works for his current situation. If am sure you would rather have a coach like him than a coach that finds every excuse to cancel practice or games because he is too busy outside of soccer. Find a balance and let your child grow and enjoy the game.

Comment

Too many trained coaches, very few educated ones.

Comment

Knew a dad who was a prison guard. Worked every overtime hour possible to make sure made most money and pension would be maxed out. Divorced twice in 6 years. Good for your kid, bad for the family.

Comment

I know a coach just like that. Narcissistic. Wants to be known in the soccer community at the cost of the kids. Wants the parents to think he’s gods gift because look at all he does or his connections. Manipulates situations to be the coach who has to save the day. Manipulates situations to his benefit only. Just like the other writer said... a trained coach. The coach probably doesn’t care for his family because he’s too obsessed with his image and making sure everyone knows who he is. Watch yourself around people like this. If you question them or confront them they will ruin your childs future. Watched it happen to many players who spoke up. Clubs love these coaches because they can use their ego against them to take multiple teams off their hands. Because of that the clubs will usually back these coaches up. Again, narcissist, manipulator, vindictive, and untrained. Hope you survive the season. Just be warned start telling him you can’t attend things and your kid will get benched. Question him and he will lie and promise all kinds of things which will turn out to be lies because he will manipulate, manipulate, manipulate. The other person said to talk to him. I say don’t I’d ask the doc to switch your team. Good luck.

Comment

I do know a lot of divorced coaches lol. It's not a kov that is conducive to raising a family unless you have a great spouse who can cover nights weekends and holiday weekends.

Talk to other families and see if they are concerned. Also, what are other coaches of similar level teams doing? Is the coach merely trying to stay competitive? If that is what it takes and it doesn't match with what your player wants, then maybe finding a better fit is called for. Know tour kid and what they want and can handle

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I will talk to the coach. I do not like the extra time being spent on the field when there is so much going on between church, school, socializing with friends, and the family. It seems like spending that much time with the team at practices and scrimmages will take away from everything else that my child has going on. While I want the best I understand that it should not come at the cost of exhaustion. But like I said I will mention it to the coach and will choose my words wisely because in all honesty now I'm worried that if what anyone else wrote is true that he could be a vindictive person or that the situation could get worse if the coach thinks that everyone on the team is ok with all these extra scrimmages and practices.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I will talk to the coach. I do not like the extra time being spent on the field when there is so much going on between church, school, socializing with friends, and the family. It seems like spending that much time with the team at practices and scrimmages will take away from everything else that my child has going on. While I want the best I understand that it should not come at the cost of exhaustion. But like I said I will mention it to the coach and will choose my words wisely because in all honesty now I'm worried that if what anyone else wrote is true that he could be a vindictive person or that the situation could get worse if the coach thinks that everyone on the team is ok with all these extra scrimmages and practices.
                  they have a rec league.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X