Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    One reason you missed is competition from other activities. They have a lot more options as they get older other than playing sports.
    They don’t have anymore activities in today’s world than they did three and five years ago.
    You are missing the point.
    More youth athletes are giving up sports by 11 and 12 years old than they did in past years.

Comment

They don’t have anymore activities in today’s world than they did three and five years ago.
      More youth athletes are giving up sports by 11 and 12 years old than they did in past years.

.....actually, it seems to coincide with the rise of ANTIFA!! Hahaha

Comment

One reason you missed is competition from other activities. They have a lot more options as they get older other than playing sports.
        All sports are down but soccer is down more than some others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/s...h-decline.html

"In general, participation in youth sports nationwide has declined in the past decade, as children gravitate to electronic diversions and other distractions. Yet in recent years, while soccer continued declining, baseball and basketball experienced upticks, buoyed by developmental programs begun by Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association.

“It’s lost more child participants than any other sport — about 600,000 of them,” said Tom Farrey, executive director of the Aspen Institute Sports & Society Program. As he pointed out, that’s enough to fill every stadium on any given match day during the 2026 World Cup, which the United States will host with Mexico and Canada.

The decline has been felt everywhere: recreational leagues in longtime soccer hotbeds here; high-profile traveling teams from Maryland to California; programs targeted at Latino and immigrant populations in South Texas. High burnout rates from pushing children into travel soccer too young as well as the high costs of programs have also contributed to the lower numbers.

https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-...-youth-sports/

Comment

This literally was on TV a few minutes ago. Well done spot. Sometimes it isn't just about interest but money. Many well intentioned lower cost programs have trouble surviving and families that can afford pricier options move. They'd rather pay a club $2500 and much more a year to train their kids than give donations or volunteer their time. Even in the club scene plenty of clubs and teams implode for various reasons. It's very frustrating to us as adults but imagine the message it sends kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-6pFUPti8Y

Comment

This literally was on TV a few minutes ago. Well done spot. Sometimes it isn't just about interest but money. Many well intentioned lower cost programs have trouble surviving and families that can afford pricier options move. They'd rather pay a club $2500 and much more a year to train their kids than give donations or volunteer their time. Even in the club scene plenty of clubs and teams implode for various reasons. It's very frustrating to us as adults but imagine the message it sends kids.

No different than people getting into cars they can’t afford.
            Clubs need to be directed to be more elite in their programs; they should be only for those that can play, not just pay.
            Much as Iphones have destroyed face to face discussions, clubs have destroyed youth rec soccer

Comment

Everyone wants a piece of the youth sports pie $$$$$$ It’s job security for those that make a career of coaching , and running clubs and tournaments. It only thrives , when it heavily markets to gullible parents that pay the bills. Gotta have the latest and greatest phone, sneakers, care, bike, and be on the “best” team. Fools a around.
              The demise of rec sports is not a healthy trend. Less kids exercising , being active and healthy,
              enjoying sports, and parents spending money that could be used for better things.

Comment

Not singling out your post, but I think the problem is that someone does some study that says youth participation is declining (and you’ve got to wonder what their motivation really is to do these studies) and everyone doubles down with the same talk that if US Soccer or clubs did this or that differently things would be better and then we start talking about why the USMNT can’t win a World Cup. The discussion always goes from what can we do to draw more kids into soccer and make it more “fun” to how we can funnel more kids into clubs so that we can produce more elite players. Just read that NY Times article the other poster linked and see how soon into the article US Soccer starts promoting competitiveness. No mention of fun or recreation.

I spent a lot of time in Europe and elsewhere that have a strong soccer culture. Soccer there is ALWAYS played first recreationally and for fun. Children play pickup games with their friends and that is something many do well in their adulthood. There are no parents or coaches involved. Many NEVER play in any organized way; no teams, no clubs, etc. It is just a healthy, fun, low-cost outdoor activity. Eventually though a few do join clubs, but at 7-12 ages it is mostly about learning the game and competition isn’t really promoted. It’s also relatively low cost and understood amongst parents that there will be a weeding out process, meaning they know going in that by 13 or so their child may not be good enough for the teen teams which is when competition starts in the clubs. Really though the number playing in organized clubs is the minority.

What I’m describing seems to be totally the opposite of my experience here in the US. Kids don’t play outside with their friends. Parents put them in some sort of club early in elementary school. By 4th or 5th grade they are doing travel teams. They complain about the cost and time commitment, but just keep on doing it. It’s crazy and no wonder so many kids can’t wait to get out of it. It becomes a chore rather than being some freeing that they love. Even this term like “soccer mom” sounds like some sort of job.

My advice if you really want kids to love soccer (or any sport) is to get your kids out of the house and let them go kick the ball around with their friends. Don’t put them in clubs when they are 7-8. No travel until they are tweens. Let them watch pros on TV and take them to pro games occasionally. Let them love the sport first and decide for themselves whether they want to do it competitively when they are older.

Comment

Fewer Kids Playing Sports In Their Teen Years

Not singling out your post, but I think the problem is that someone does some study that says youth participation is declining (and you’ve got to wonder what their motivation really is to do these studies) and everyone doubles down with the same talk that if US Soccer or clubs did this or that differently things would be better and then we start talking about why the USMNT can’t win a World Cup. The discussion always goes from what can we do to draw more kids into soccer and make it more “fun” to how we can funnel more kids into clubs so that we can produce more elite players. Just read that NY Times article the other poster linked and see how soon into the article US Soccer starts promoting competitiveness. No mention of fun or recreation.

I spent a lot of time in Europe and elsewhere that have a strong soccer culture. Soccer there is ALWAYS played first recreationally and for fun. Children play pickup games with their friends and that is something many do well in their adulthood. There are no parents or coaches involved. Many NEVER play in any organized way; no teams, no clubs, etc. It is just a healthy, fun, low-cost outdoor activity. Eventually though a few do join clubs, but at 7-12 ages it is mostly about learning the game and competition isn’t really promoted. It’s also relatively low cost and understood amongst parents that there will be a weeding out process, meaning they know going in that by 13 or so their child may not be good enough for the teen teams which is when competition starts in the clubs. Really though the number playing in organized clubs is the minority.

What I’m describing seems to be totally the opposite of my experience here in the US. Kids don’t play outside with their friends. Parents put them in some sort of club early in elementary school. By 4th or 5th grade they are doing travel teams. They complain about the cost and time commitment, but just keep on doing it. It’s crazy and no wonder so many kids can’t wait to get out of it. It becomes a chore rather than being some freeing that they love. Even this term like “soccer mom” sounds like some sort of job.

My advice if you really want kids to love soccer (or any sport) is to get your kids out of the house and let them go kick the ball around with their friends. Don’t put them in clubs when they are 7-8. No travel until they are tweens. Let them watch pros on TV and take them to pro games occasionally. Let them love the sport first and decide for themselves whether they want to do it competitively when they are older.
                  and who are you to give any advice???...shut up!!!

Comment

The challenge with all of this is that you are 100% right and everyone agrees with you, except when it comes to THEIR kids. This is a game theory problem. Read up on The Prisoners Dilemma.

Comment

Detached parents that would rather babysit their kids with iPads or XBox are the problem. My kids are perpetually in motion whether participating in sports or out in the neighborhood during unstructured activities. Snowplow parenting continues to create safe spaces where minimal activity is rewarded rather than addressed.

Comment

Detached parents that would rather babysit their kids with iPads or XBox are the problem. My kids are perpetually in motion whether participating in sports or out in the neighborhood during unstructured activities. Snowplow parenting continues to create safe spaces where minimal activity is rewarded rather than addressed.
                        No better than parents that pay 3 grand a year for someone to “train” aka babysit their kids,
                        so they can brag at the water cooler about their kids “talents”.

Comment

Fewer Kids Playing Sports In Their Teen Years

No better than parents that pay 3 grand a year for someone to “train” aka babysit their kids,
                          yes, the watercooler....my bragging spot of choice :)

Comment

fear of the boogie man. despite the odds of your child being abducted by a stranger being almost nonexistent, everyone thinks stranger danger is on every street corner. growing up (in a suburb so suburban sprawl wasn't the issue) we roamed all the time, finding kids to play with along the way, whoever was home when we knocked on the door. in the summer you were out of the house after breakfast and came home for dinner - then went back out again until long past dark. now parents get arrested for letting their kids roam on their own.

then there's the lack of physical activity in school now. more health conscious parents want their kids to be active but know school isn't enough. granted they should be taking their kids to the park and playing with them, but it's easier to sign them up for things. top it off with the pressure in the u.s. to excel at sports so you can get a scholarship - parents fear their kid will miss the boat unless they start a sport young and commit to it young.

all of it is wrong, but it is what it is.

Comment

Right ... our town has not added lacrosse, field hockey, rugby and wresting in the last two years. Many kids that used to play baseball and soccer are in those sports instead of or in addition to ..... Lots of more activities for kids to choose from now .... AAU/premier for everyone in almost every sport as well (see baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, and lacrosse).

Comment

This is a particularly obtuse reply.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X